Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #1

Help with focusing in Live view

Hey

I am new to live view shooting. Just upgraded from k20d to KP. Hoping I can get a discussion on the merits of different focusing techniques in live view. I realize there is no "best" way but hoping to get some opinion on just that. I have had the most success changing to manual focus, zooming in and fine tuning my focus even more, zooming out and then taking my shot but seems like overkill.

Few other questions. When I am in live view in auto focus (this is on a KP) I can't manipulate my green focus boxes that pop up. Sometimes they select what I want to focus on and sometimes they do not and I can't figure out how to change them. The 4 "arrow" buttons on the back don't seem to work like they do when not using live view. Also, I do not understand focus peaking looks like my options are a cube, a cube with a grey box and none.

Thanks for any help!

01-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may help answer some of your basic questions:

Pentax KP Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

See also the interface page, which talks about how to access options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RosieSC Quote
I have had the most success changing to manual focus, zooming in and fine tuning my focus even more, zooming out and then taking my shot but seems like overkill.
That is the best method to use LV to focus in my view, and is the only one I use. View the zoomed image at 100%.

I use the viewfinder most of the time but if on a tripod and critical focus is needed then i follow this method.

ps just to be clear the "zooming" I refer to is using the camera to view the image on the lcd screen at 100%. Not to zoom with the lens itself.
01-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto. I know that on the K-1, a tap on the shutter button (half-way) returns you to normal view saving your having to zoom out before taking the shot. You might try that on your KP and see if it works. Alternately, hitting the ok button will return you to normal view and with the K-1, it remembers the degree of zoom so hitting the ok button again will return you to x2, x10 or whatever was used last.

01-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Select Menu 1 AF in live view: Select AF active area Choose the scene of live view
For focus peaking Disable histogram
And follow ADAM,s advice