Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Sold something, got two somethings.

Hi.

Sold off my KP and got a new K-3 , i also bought a second K-1 from a person buying into Fujifilm, a little over 5000 shutter count so it's basically new.

Decided not to wait on the K-3 mark iii and the Canon 7D mark iii apparently been pushed back. So that's it for buying cameras quite some time, the 50 & 85mm primes are still on my list though.

01-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations... That's a nice haul
01-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why the move from a KP to a K-3? What were you dissatisfied with in the KP that the K-3 does better?
01-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Sold off my KP and got a new K-3
Quite unusual 'upgrade path'. Do you mind to share what convinced you to buy K-3?

01-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did you find a new K-3? It does incorporate a stronger built-in flash than the KP.

It is a good thing to have choices among different designs. Apparently you've found you much prefer a larger camera design. I do a lot of low-light shooting, often when going about on foot or biking, for which a lighter, smaller carrying ensemble lends itself far better than would a bulkier one. So the KP with a compact lens has been wonderful for me- great IQ in a modest package, and great in low light situations. When shooting photos while not so engaged, I can use a bulkier setup as I choose. I have been thinking about also getting a K-1, since now the already reasonable price has been brought down to $1,780. A deal is also being offered with the DFA 28-105 WR lens with some money off the lens cost as well. However, my main interest is for my substantial collection of fine FF lenses. The only reason I would then hang on to my K-5 IIs is for a rare need for good burst performance, with its more modest 16mp and good buffer.

But the KP price is now offered at $200 off the original, so I am actually thinking about a second KP body as well- I am that pleased with the performance of this little beauty. The price is surprisingly slightly cheaper for the silver version, which I have and would buy again.
01-19-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As has been discussed on these forums several times, switching from KP to K-3 (or K-3 to KP) is a sideways move rather than an upgrade or downgrade. It depends on your priorities as to which is the "better" camera...

The KP's high ISO image quality and range is undoubtedly better, and there are some neat additional features and upgrades. But, the K-3 has a larger buffer for burst shooting (and a slightly faster burst rate, too), dual cards, longer shutter life, full magnesium alloy build (including the top plate), arguably better handling with large lenses, IR remote capability, top-plate LCD display and considerably longer battery life.

Of course, the KP also offers advantages over the K-3 / K-3II. Like I said, which one is preferable depends on your priorities. I would love the improved high ISO capability of the KP, but there are features on my K-3 & K-3II that I wouldn't want to give up...
01-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
I already have a K-3 that is getting tired and it didn't seem worth it cost wise to get it fixed. The KP does have slightly better high iso performance but i wasn't impressed at it's lower iso except for product shots and i did mention in another thread i had to return my KP to have a loose cable fixed which had to do with the accelerator chip. I have larger hands so yeah that is also a factor. The K-3 i find is a bit quicker to adapt to random instances than the KP although the KP 's AF is a bit quicker i don't find it as accurate and it reminds me of my K200D that is always off a little in the AF no matter how much you calibrate it or which AF type you choose. I have experience with other cameras that use the high iso accelerrator electronics and there is something to be said for doing the work yourself. I like the KP better for perfectly static subjects but it doesn't seem realistic to niche a camera for just that, the Nikon D500 i had was very aggravating outside it's comfort zone. The only Nikon i've kept is the D750. Several local real estate companies have bought KP's based on seeing mine and the KP for taking images of homes and businesses for sale is excellent even the local municipality uses Pentax to do their surveys.

As for the difference between the K-3 and KP people keep asking about for myself the K-3 came out as more adaptable on the fly which is important for me even if it didn't have 8.3fps.

I will give the KP and the K-1 the advantage over the K-3 when it comes to not blowing highlights as much in the sunny outdoors. However in turn that too created random problems that were only partially fixed by the loose cable repair.

Lastly the K-3 doesn't have gps and it has a built in flash that is better than that of the KP even if it use remote flashes most of the time again the k-3 built in flash is a backup tool. The KP flash is harsh and too focused and i ended up sticking a piece of translucent tape over it in order to defuse it a little, otherwise it was "deer in the headlights" kind of aggravation and strangely enough the older Pentax built in flashes are better, go figure.

The K-3 is more for "in for the long haul".

As BigMackCam explained it's not an upgrade or downgrade between the KP and K-3.

That should cover it, i hope.

Last edited by solitudebound; 01-19-2018 at 04:21 PM.
01-20-2018, 01:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. I have not yet tried all my current lenses, but so far AF has been very accurate on mine with the lenses I've been using. I have only noticed an occasional metering glitch when dealing with strong backlighting, but usually exposure and IQ have been excellent. I have not yet tried fast-moving sports shots, which have been ok with my K-5 IIs. I don't do much in the way of burst shooting, so the buffer is not an issue, and I'd use my K-5 IIs for that anyway. I agree regarding the KP's built-in flash, although it has sometimes come in handy for fill with certain subject matter. I do have a little bonnet defuser I could use, and also have the little Pentax WR mini hot shoe flash, which is easily pocketable and has tilt for bounce use, or closer focus. The one my K-5 IIs is better, and my impression of the same on my K-S2 is its metering may be more accurate yet.

But as BigMack says, it depends on one's priorities. I do understand many of the K-3's virtues, some of which are mirrored in my trusty K-5 IIs.