Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, i was driving last week and the buck visiting the resident female ran across in front of me, almost wiped out the front of the Corolla.

This female lived at my place for years until a bushfire came thru 15 months ago...shes moved away to my neighbours 20 acres.

01-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is plausible it is the fur.

The fur makes a very different feel in leather products than the fur or hair of other animals.
01-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is plausible it is the fur.

The fur makes a very different feel in leather products than the fur or hair of other animals.
Yes, it is very soft, and does not present much contrast for the AF system to latch onto.
01-21-2018, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Funnily enough I'm not sure I've ever tried to photograph one,

They're pretty unpredictable, they've terrified me often enough when driving or camping that I've come to the conclusion that not only do I not know where the hell they're going. Neither, seemingly, do they.

Could be a quantum marsupial thing.

01-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What do others think? Do certain animals cause you AF problems? And do others have particular problems with kangaroos?
Love this thread. Good job Paul.

For me, all animals cause me AF problems. Itʻs my years of manual focusing that is the real problem that when I AF, Iʻm second guessing if I wouldnʻt be better off with my MF skills instead of just embracing and mastering AF.

Kangaroos? No problem in the zoo! Would love to go down under and see them in the wild. Apparently, we have a wild colony of wallabies in Hawaii. I drive this valley at least once a week and keep an eye out for one.

Caught on video: The elusive Kalihi Valley wallaby | KHON2

Iʻll probably see a pooka before I see a wallaby (in the wild).
01-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I perfectly understand Volvo's problem with cangaroos! Once I was driving to work with a shortage of sleep, I turned a corner and there, on top of the crest in front of me, stood a cangaroo in the middle of the road, looking straight at me. A cangaroo in the wild is a rarity here in Norway, I'd say, so I was a bit surprised. First when it turned to jump out of the road, I realised it was a deer, and not a 'roo.

I must have been pretty tired.
01-22-2018, 02:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Just lol at this thread in general :P

But since AF is programed to detect edges, it is certainly the fur with its confusing pattern that kills the AF. Grab a patch of contrast, eye, ear, dark patch on the tail... ah who em I kidding. F8, iso 128k s/1000 and spray :P

01-22-2018, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Paul on this one.

Roos are generally quite dull in colour and low in texture, blending in well with their backgrounds, trick for any AF system. Added to this, they are rarely still for long and even at rest appear to be slightly quivering. Nevertheless they are interesting beasts. and well worth the trouble.

I do hope someone can devise vehicle avoidance systems as they are a real menace on the roads and will destroy just about any car that hits them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I do hope someone can devise vehicle avoidance systems
Bruce, try ShuRoo.
Every new car I buy, I promise that I'll buy one for protection; haven't done it yet!!!
01-22-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I do hope someone can devise vehicle avoidance systems as they are a real menace on the roads and will destroy just about any car that hits them.
It's not great for the 'roos either.
06-12-2020, 03:33 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An old thread, but ...
this fellow inhabits the Wangaratta Common Reserve (which now includes the old airstrip) and is just at the end of my street.

He was a fair way away and is severely cropped (to 872 x 1311) - Not bad I think from the 55-300 PLM
06-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
An old thread, but ...
this fellow inhabits the Wangaratta Common Reserve (which now includes the old airstrip) and is just at the end of my street.

He was a fair way away and is severely cropped (to 872 x 1311) - Not bad I think from the 55-300 PLM
Wow!!! Not bad for a severely cropped image. Thanks for sharing
06-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

AF struggles on black bears as well - not much contrast. I used the IR light of my flash to nail focus some time ago.
06-12-2020, 05:05 AM   #29
Pentaxian

My old K-S2/K-70/K-1 all used to struggle with focus on my white dogs while on the beach. They could do it intermittently but not as clinically as I'd have hoped.

The lattermost being my other-half's parents' dog. I chalk it up to not having enough contrast between the subject and background... Which might explain your issues with focusing on the centre of a dark animal. Perhaps attempting to focus on the interface between animal and background might help? I know Bruce Banner started a thread about autofocus and struggling with Crows/Grackles/etc.
06-12-2020, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kangaroos are extremely difficult to shoot. What lens do Pentax do which covers 12,000 miles and compensates for the curvature of the earth? Is it the 500?