Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Breakdown of what we own

Two questions

1) Is there a graph, chart or data showing how many of each model are owned by member here? Has a survey been done? I know we all put what we have on our profiles but has the info been gathered?

2) does anyone know why the K30 was superseded by the K50 after just one year? They are ostensibly the same camera. Was it because the reviews were critical of the K30s looks? Was the K30 a beta? Either way, I love mine :0)

01-22-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
2) does anyone know why the K30 was superseded by the K50 after just one year? They are ostensibly the same camera. Was it because the reviews were critical of the K30s looks? Was the K30 a beta? Either way, I love mine :0)
I think the real reason was that the K-30 has such a protrusion above the mount that it interfered with some lenses. Similar to how some Sigma lenses need to be modified to work with K-1 without scratching it.
And the looks were the other "problem", as many considered them to be too aggressive and out there. It was advertised as an action camera for young men, and it looks like that demographic did not respond so much, so Pentax moved on and got two birds with one stone. Fixed the problem with lens fitting, and made a camera that appeals to conservative aesthetics (and K-50 has been quite successful I think)
01-22-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the real reason was that the K-30 has such a protrusion above the mount that it interfered with some lenses. Similar to how some Sigma lenses need to be modified to work with K-1 without scratching it.
And the looks were the other "problem", as many considered them to be too aggressive and out there. It was advertised as an action camera for young men, and it looks like that demographic did not respond so much, so Pentax moved on and got two birds with one stone. Fixed the problem with lens fitting, and made a camera that appeals to conservative aesthetics (and K-50 has been quite successful I think)
That explains why they are so alike on paper. I had a feeling it would be aesthetics :0) They are great camera :0) aperture block apart, that is why I just paid £200+ for a service, aperture block fix and tax. I just can’t wait to get it back :0)
01-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Those stats haven't been published yet, but you can look at the sample photo search to see how many pics were posted from each model:

Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Seems like the glory days of the K-5 and K-x are hard to match, though the K-3 did extremely well too. The K-1 is ahead of most consumer models but still well behind its last 2 APS-C predecessors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Two questions

1) Is there a graph, chart or data showing how many of each model are owned by member here? Has a survey been done? I know we all put what we have on our profiles but has the info been gathered? . . .
a possible source of information would be the serial number registration

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
01-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Those stats haven't been published yet, but you can look at the sample photo search to see how many pics were posted from each model:

Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Seems like the glory days of the K-5 and K-x are hard to match, though the K-3 did extremely well too. The K-1 is ahead of most consumer models but still well behind its last 2 APS-C predecessors.
On the other hand , after 18 months I think you''ll find the K-1 ahead of other models after their first 18 months. It takes a while after a camera's release before the volume of images starts to pick up, so comparisons are hard to make in the first year.

You might be interested in
K-1 continues to impress. - PentaxForums.com

The K-x and K-5s are still well ahead in total images, but the K-1 is closing the gap. It's definitely the most used current camera, despite the economic penalties for owning it. (much higher cost of ownership for the same FoV.)