Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

Flucard Discontinued?

Hi folks this is the question I joined to ask (I will hang around though what ever the answer ).

I've been wanting a flucard (would use it with the K3-II). I live in the UK and they seem to be very hard to get hold of here. I found a shop which claimed to have one so I bought online. They said they didn't have one after all but would get one from Pentax. However now they have told me that Pentax told them that the flucard is discontinued. The shop had no idea if there was anything coming to replace it?

So basically is this true, and if so what would anyone recommend to use instead? Or is it worth trying to get hold of a flu card still (I can see them on ebay but they are imported from Japan and quite expensive)..

I will tell you what the purpose of it would be. Among the my many photographic interests are low down things (insects), and high up things (astro photography). I have found myself trying to get into positions that a contortionist would be proud of!

thanks in advance .

01-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is, but I see Amazon has it here. Have you checked their UK site? Can you buy it off the U.S. site?
01-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For your purposes the flucard would be fine. On a smartphone you get a nice view and simple controls for aperture etc. I see that Amazon lists 7 in stock. I will try to attach a view of what you get on an iphone.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 01-24-2018 at 05:49 PM.
01-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Foinavon Quote
Hi folks this is the question I joined to ask (I will hang around though what ever the answer ).

I've been wanting a flucard (would use it with the K3-II). I live in the UK and they seem to be very hard to get hold of here. I found a shop which claimed to have one so I bought online. They said they didn't have one after all but would get one from Pentax. However now they have told me that Pentax told them that the flucard is discontinued. The shop had no idea if there was anything coming to replace it?

So basically is this true, and if so what would anyone recommend to use instead? Or is it worth trying to get hold of a flu card still (I can see them on ebay but they are imported from Japan and quite expensive)..

I will tell you what the purpose of it would be. Among the my many photographic interests are low down things (insects), and high up things (astro photography). I have found myself trying to get into positions that a contortionist would be proud of!

thanks in advance .
It's been discontinued for over a year now unfortunately. It was replaced by the built-in Wi-Fi that was included in all cameras that came out afterwards, but there isn't any new alternative for the K-3 unfortunately (unless you don't want live view).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given your proposed use case, an alternative (albeit not inexpensive) solution would be to use an external HDMI monitor and IR remote.

That said, used Flu Cards do come up for sale now and then, so if that's your preference I'd simply wait for a little while and see if one turns up in our Marketplace, or on eBay

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-25-2018 at 01:40 AM.
01-25-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Clifton Cameras site shows one in stock.
01-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Clifton Cameras site shows one in stock.
Thanks for the replies. I have actually just bought the one at Clifton Cameras. After a certain other camera shop let me down I rang up first to check if they actually had it. It's frustrating that Pentax have discontinued it though.
01-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Flucard Discontinued?

Hi,

One simple solution that I use (albeit a bit clumsy) is to use a Toshiba FlashAir card that transmits both RAW and JPEG files to my smartphone or monitor. The camera does not have to have any built-in wi-fi functionality as the card generates its own wi-fi hotspot! I find this feature useful for reviewing photographs taken on my Pentax K-7 by using my iPhone as a de-facto monitor, thereby obviating the need for external cables and other ancillary equipment. True, this does not give you any additional means of controlling the camera nor is it really "tethering" in the traditional sense, but provides an inexpensive solution for reviewing photographs taken on the go. For instant review I simply load the photos from the card to the phone which is attached to the camera's hot shoe using a Manfrotto TwistGrip Smartphone Clamp or similar.

Hope this helps.

01-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Give these guys a call - H A Baker Ltd, Lewes - H.A.Baker Ltd

Less than a year ago they were giving them away with K3s. May well have a few lurking about.
02-14-2018, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #10

Reading this topic the other day I felt I was reasonably lucky finding an ex dem one at LCE Worcester for 60. So was somewhat gutted when in Park Cameras on Sunday to see one for 19.99 , I brought a spare and asked if they had any others apparently they were showing two others "out the back" although the assistant felt there might only be one.
If anyone is interested their website shows no stock so if you are local pop in and ask or try giving them a call the product number is 6062110E

Last edited by ABBANDON; 02-14-2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: awful speeling
02-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ABBANDON Quote
Reading this topic the other day I felt I was reasonably lucky finding an ex dem one at LCE Worcester for 60. So was somewhat gutted when in Park Cameras on Sunday to see one for 19.99 , I brought a spare and asked if they had any others apparently they were showing two others "out the back" although the assistant felt there might only be one.
If anyone is interested their website shows no stock so if you are local pop in and ask or try giving them a call the product number is 6062110E
That's an incredible price!