Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Weather sealing on older Pentax cameras.

Hope this is the right place for this question. Can anyone tell me how well the weather sealing holds up on older model cameras such as k10d and older WR lenses? If they sit for
a long time ( months, years ) do the seals dry out and become useless in say rain? I hope this has not been ask before.
Thanks in advance.

02-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jer1 Quote
Hope this is the right place for this question. Can anyone tell me how well the weather sealing holds up on older model cameras such as k10d and older WR lenses? If they sit for
a long time ( months, years ) do the seals dry out and become useless in say rain? I hope this has not been ask before.
Thanks in advance.

this might be a good thread to review

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

one member's experience

" 4 Pentax DSLR bodies over 15 years, and no issue with weather sealing. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/351252-about-th...#ixzz55yFg226b
02-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can anyone tell me how well the weather sealing holds up on older model cameras such as k10d and older WR lenses? If they sit for
Theoretically, they do degrade over time, but in my decades of owning cameras with weather-sealing, time is much less a factor than if the camera has been repaired or serviced.

Again theoretically, the tech that re-assembles the camera or lens after repair should and would ensure all seals have integrity and are back in place, but I've found it's not 100% again.

Probably the weakest link is the silicone gasket on the lens mount. If you swap lenses often, it's a good idea to use some silicone based lubricant on that gasket before your next 'Safari'.

...and yes, this has been asked before, and it will be asked again, but as they say, reduce, reuse, recycle.
02-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #4

Yes, the seals dry out or flatten with age. The seal on the jack door on my K10D is quite flat and I don't trust it to seal properly.

02-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
this might be a good thread to review

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

one member's experience

" 4 Pentax DSLR bodies over 15 years, and no issue with weather sealing. "

Read more at: About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks, Lot of good advice.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, the seals dry out or flatten with age. The seal on the jack door on my K10D is quite flat and I don't trust it to seal properly.

Would silicone used sparingly and applied by hand "revive" the seal?

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Theoretically, they do degrade over time, but in my decades of owning cameras with weather-sealing, time is much less a factor than if the camera has been repaired or serviced.

Again theoretically, the tech that re-assembles the camera or lens after repair should and would ensure all seals have integrity and are back in place, but I've found it's not 100% again.

Probably the weakest link is the silicone gasket on the lens mount. If you swap lenses often, it's a good idea to use some silicone based lubricant on that gasket before your next 'Safari'.

...and yes, this has been asked before, and it will be asked again, but as they say, reduce, reuse, recycle.

Thanks Alex645,
I replied to NotANumber about using silicone as you suggested, can it be used on any gasket that is easily accessed on the camera? Just wondering>
02-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Would silicone used sparingly and applied by hand "revive" the seal?

Thanks Alex645,
I replied to NotANumber about using silicone as you suggested, can it be used on any gasket that is easily accessed on the camera? Just wondering>
The best and costly solution for really old seals is to replace them. But I think a silicone grease like Danco 88693 Silicone Grease, would help extend the life of any o-ring or gasket. Petroleum based lubricants can harm plastic and any rubber parts, so thatʻs why Iʻd suggest a silicone based grease. Itʻs food grade, so Iʻd just use my finger and use sparingly.

Any gasket easily accessed on the camera? Like the battery, memory card, port compartment doors? I donʻt see why not as long as you donʻt get to zealous; less is more. I wouldnʻt disassemble the camera to lube it unless I had semi-pro repair experience and skills...which I donʻt.