Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just got my 2nd silver KP body, and a new lens! Question re: focus mode

Hi all,

I have been so delighted with my KP I decided to get a second body. I love the beautiful silver color scheme, unique these days, so the backup body is silver also. B&H was running a special price 'till the end of January- $879 for the silver. I think it was a little less than the black one, simply because it has been more stocked up.

With it, I bought a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM lens, also at a reduced price- $369. That is $300 off the original price! I am quite impressed with how nice this lens is. It seems very well-made and works and handles beautifully. It looks handsome on my KP, and handles well for me, even with the small grip. AF is quiet, fast, and accurate. I did a quick test for BF/FF by using spot focus wide open on objects placed close, one behind the other, and my copy seems to be right on. With only casual test shots, the lens impresses me as quite sharp, with very good results, even wide open. It is a good matchup to my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, except of course no WR, and a step below in build, etc. but still worthy. Even physically, with its gold lettering. A nice set of good, fast zoom lenses, yet a pretty compact pair.

When I use one of my higher-level Pentax lenses having a MF/AF switch, which does not require also engaging the camera's MF/AF switch, my KP displays which focus mode has been set on the lens. If I choose MF on the lens, the camera will switch from AF-S and display MF on its LCD screen, so it has recognized the lens setting and has complied. I was very surprised to find, when I likewise set the switch on my new Sigma lens to MF, my KP also displays MF on it, recognizing the lens's setting, just like with my DA* 50-135mm! Is this for real? With this 3rd party lens model, the camera indicates it has indeed complied and has switched to MF, but is it true or misleading?

02-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
When I use one of my higher-level Pentax lenses having a MF/AF switch, which does not require also engaging the camera's MF/AF switch, my KP displays which focus mode has been set on the lens. If I choose MF on the lens, the camera will switch from AF-S and display MF on its LCD screen, so it has recognized the lens setting and has complied. I was very surprised to find, when I likewise set the switch on my new Sigma lens to MF, my KP also displays MF on it, recognizing the lens's setting, just like with my DA* 50-135mm! Is this for real? With this 3rd party lens model, the camera indicates it has indeed complied and has switched to MF, but is it true or misleading?
That sounds right. There really are no feature limitations from third-party lenses, except that they have no in-camera lens profiles.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. I am delighted with this lens. With the MF/AF switch being thus recognized and implemented by the camera, and being located at the thumb area where I hold it while shooting, this makes not having quick-shift for MF touchup a moot point!