Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K200D DNG Problem

Hey All,

So I've had a K200 since the beginning of the summer and everything was working fine. Lately though, a lot of the pictures I've taken haven't been showing up in Aperture. They appear to be just fine when I review them on the K200 LCD, but then show up as a bright blue or black frame once I load them onto my Macbook. I've got all the recent updates for Mac OS and Aperture, so I don't think it's that. Someone mentioned that it could be a bad write to the memory card BUT I can recover the images by converting the DNG to a JPEG in-camera - so the data is still there...

Any ideas? I'd rather not have to rely on converting my images in camera all the time...

(It's been happening with all three of my SD cards - all from different manufacturers.)

I've had to resort to shooting RAW+JPEG in order to make sure I get the shot and it's getting really frustrating.

09-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do they show up in the Pentax Photo Browser? There's a possibility of it being a software problem.
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

As far as you are able to see them in the camera it seams that the problem isn't there. Have you tried to deinstall and reinstall Aperture? What about shooting PEF?
09-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It could be the images are getting corrupted somehow. AFAIK the built in preview on the k200d uses the jpeg embedded in the raw file, have you tried loading the images in a different raw converter, or shoting pef? Also, make sure you're running the latest version of aperture.

09-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Thanks for the speedy replies! I've asked the same question in a few other forums and didn't get so much as a single reply! I'll try and answer the replies as best I can.

Blue: I never installed the Pentax Photo Browser on my Macbook - and I left the install CD in the States (I'm in Germany for a year...) In retrospect, that would be a good way to narrow down exactly what is causing the problem...

Ridgeback: I've tried to reinstall Aperture and it hasn't worked. I actually shot in .PEF when I first got the camera but the images don't display in Aperture properly. See below for an example:

(Let me know if y'all can't see it.)

The .PEF files are squished and won't display at full resolution. It appears that Aperture is only accessing the embedded preview for the .PEFs, which is problematic in of itself. That's actually why I switched to .DNGs

Nixcamic: I have a bad feeling the files are getting corrupted as well - I tried opening one of the .DNG files that wouldn't display in Aperture with the Adobe DNG converter and it gave me a black file after exporting it to a .JPEG file. I just can't figure out why sometimes no files are corrupted and other times about 75% are black and I have to fall back on the .JPEGs.

Short version:
1. .PEFs display oddly in Aperture 2.1 + all current Mac OS updates
2. .DNGs will display, but many do not display at all, instead showing a black frame.
3. JPEGs work, both those taken alone and those taken with the RAW+ option.
4. I can convert RAW files to JPEGs in camera.
09-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #6

ewalk, I would recomend you to try opening the files in another computer (in case there is a problem in your drivers, codecs or something similar) and perhaps you may try some other operating system too. I'm not familiar with the Mac OS at all, so cannot even think of what might be done there. A firmware upgrade of the camera might also help (if there is any).
It is not that I'm pushig in the bad direction, but you may always find the Pentax software in the torrents sites. My K10D came without a CD and I had to download the Pentax Photo Laboratory from one of these (I'm really not using it, but HAD to see it ). And finally, if nothin helps - the nearest Pentax service workshop most probably will.
Good luck!
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Blue: I never installed the Pentax Photo Browser on my Macbook - and I left the install CD in the States (I'm in Germany for a year...) In retrospect, that would be a good way to narrow down exactly what is causing the problem...

Hey, you don't have to do the torrent thing - the software is up on the pentax website:
Pentax Canada - Digital Camera Support

Download and give that a try. Good luck.
09-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

nobody's asked how he's getting the images from the card to the computer - that would be another point of error, if they are getting corrupted. so then,

how are you getting them in the computer? it could be your cord, card reader, etc.

as far as the pef question, i wouldn't be surprised if aperture does not support them.

edit: you can also try opening them with something like picassa.

09-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What are you copying the files off the memory card with? Also, are the cards SD or SDHC? They definantly look like corrupted raw files to me, although the ability to convert raw to jpeg in camera is puzzling.
09-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
nobody's asked how he's getting the images from the card to the computer - that would be another point of error, if they are getting corrupted. so then,

how are you getting them in the computer? it could be your cord, card reader, etc.

as far as the pef question, i wouldn't be surprised if aperture does not support them.

edit: you can also try opening them with something like picassa.
It's funny you mention this. Someone on Flickr suggested I get a card-reader instead of relying on the supplied USB cable. I'm going to get a card reader in the next few days and see if that solves the problem.

In regards to the .PEF files, Aperture 2.1 should support them fine - at least according to the official site.

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic:
What are you copying the files off the memory card with? Also, are the cards SD or SDHC? They definantly look like corrupted raw files to me, although the ability to convert raw to jpeg in camera is puzzling.
I'm using 4GB SDHC cards and I'm using the USB cable that came with the camera. I'll try importing files with a card reader and see how that goes.
09-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
In regards to the .PEF files, Aperture 2.1 should support them fine - at least according to the official site.
Aperture 2.1.1 is importing my K200D PEF files just fine in RAW mode (I haven't tried in RAW+ mode, though). I'm attaching the camera directly with the USB cable.

I'm on 10.5.4 (intel) - what OS are you running?

You could also download a trial of Lightroom and see if that works - if you're still getting the problem in Lightroom then at least you know that it's not Aperture's fault...