Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with you guys, the K20D jpegs i get are fantastic. I tweak them to my taste.

I used to shoot RAW all the time when I was using a Nikon system, but I've been really happy with the jpegs straight from my K20D that I use RAW usually for landscapes.

09-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote

Also, in regards to lens-based stabilization vs. in-body stabilization: does Canon or Nikon make a stabilized 50/1.4 ?
neither does Pentax

so Pentax wins only when competition does not bother to step in.
09-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Which is to say, only for about 90% of all lenses.

And of course, while Canon & Nikon win in *most* (but not all) of the cases where they do provide a stabilized lens, it is worth questioning whether they win by enough to justify the extra cost of most of those lenses, and the fact that you have to put up with a *big* disadvantage in 90% of cases just to get a small win in 10% of cases.

That is to say, I'll take 2 stops improvement *for free all the time* over 3 stops improvement only in the small percentage of cases where stabilization is available and affordable.
09-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

That is to say, I'll take 2 stops improvement *for free all the time* over 3 stops improvement only in the small percentage of cases where stabilization is available and affordable.
I see 1.5 stops at best... but not 2.

09-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #20

on stabilization

i've noticed in looking at the exif in PhotoMe that even when i have the SR switch at ON with my k10d, it doesn't always go on, even at "slower" speeds - also when you look through the viewfinder the SR icon doesn't pop-up unless you hold your finger on the shutter release for a second+.

i wonder if pentax SR has a delay, so that it won't do anything (or at least be as effective) if you take a shot w/o an extended half-press of the shutter button? if so, the way dpr takes the pictures could have an effect on the results.

i suppose tests could answer this...
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #21

I never understood how those little qualifiers get added to reviews. It's just not consistent.

Why didn't the Nikon D40/D60 get "Highly Recommended, if you don't use autofocus"?

That's the equivalent of the K200D's one. At least you can alter the JPEG settings on the Pentax, you can't do anything about non-AF lenses on the Nikons.
09-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I see 1.5 stops at best... but not 2.
Deoends on how you measure it. I'd say the graphs in the review are pretty accurate. Sure, you don't 100% success at 2 stops slower than the "usual", but you get a *much* higher percentage of keepers than you would otherwise - high enough that I'd say I can safely shoot at 2 stops slower if I'm careful. And indeed, I get pretty darned good results at closer to 3 stops when I'm really careful.
09-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
i've noticed in looking at the exif in PhotoMe that even when i have the SR switch at ON with my k10d, it doesn't always go on, even at "slower" speeds - also when you look through the viewfinder the SR icon doesn't pop-up unless you hold your finger on the shutter release for a second+.

i wonder if pentax SR has a delay, so that it won't do anything (or at least be as effective) if you take a shot w/o an extended half-press of the shutter button? if so, the way dpr takes the pictures could have an effect on the results.

i suppose tests could answer this...

That's definitely how my K100D SR works. Green symbol plus half a second or more at half-press gives best results.

09-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
i know i should go back through and pull out some quotes to support this, but:

the whole review i felt like they didn't put nearly the same amount of effort into it as they do for the bigger brands. they didn't flesh-out the comments, skipped over points that could've/should've been mentioned, short-shfrited plusses, etc.
Which I have found typical of dpreview, and which is why I avoid that site completely. Besides, they have been having an increasing number of "errors" when reporting facts/specs lately. The only reviews I read are my own
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #25

Pros:
- The reviewer does make positive note of some pentax-specific features (build quality, top LCD, viewfinder etc.)
- The crops show excellent IQ compared to the other brands

Cons
- The tone of the language is outright negative. Hard to believe there is no bias compared to other reviews. Perhaps the author needed another coffee before writing?
- Far too much focus on default jpegs. The default bright setting is set for shop-floor appeal, not for ultimate accuracy, and can be changed in 5 seconds. This review will give less knowledgeable reader a bad impression which is unjustified.
- The custom function menu is from a different camera. This gives the review a sloppy, inaccurate feeling.

Overall: Recommended (If you only look at the pictures)
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
To my untrained eyes the jpeg is not that bad. Straight jpeg is what I use now.
Yeah. I have yet to shoot a single RAW on my K200D and I have been very happy.
I look at many pics in the DP review, and I prefer many of the JPEGs over the RAWs that they claim are better. So I think I will stick to JPEG and save myself processing time.
09-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
two possible conclusions from the IS test
ii. lens based is better
Maybe. And you will pay for it over and over for every lens you buy.
2 stops improvement from the SR looks pretty good. I am surprised it did that well.
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

neither does Pentax

Canon cameras + IS lenses don't actually compete with Pentax SR + regular lenses. They simply are not in the same price range at all. I never once considered a Canon camera. The E-510 and the D-60 were the two main competitors when I bought my K200D. The D-60 was clearly inferior overall and the DP review shows it. The E-510 was a lot closer in my opinion. But the DP review still says the K200D is better than E-520. So I feel vindicated in my choice.

Anyway... There is nothing to stop Pentax from introducing any own stabilized lenses if they like. There is no reason it couldn't work with the K-mount. Then we can just all turn off the SR in our Pentax bodies.

For Canon users, if Canon ever comes up with in-body SR (and I think they will be forced to by market pressure from, if not Pentax, Olympus), Canon users will just have to replace the body. I guess they are flush and can afford it anyway.