K200D review up on dpreview!

The verdict: "Highly Recommended (if you shot in RAW)"

Enjoy: Full dpreview take.

09-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm suprised how bad the jpeg processing is
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

the engine is not so bad as they say... in the pentax k200d if you choose the english language, the camera automaticly set the sharp value to +1 or +2 (dont know how of thoose).
i think if they set the value to 0 the results will be better.

cyaz and sorry for my poor english. =X
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

they should just tweak the parameters to what they think is best and use those rather than stick to "Default" settings and then complaining about them. but i still love their reviews....

09-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Kei

To my untrained eyes the jpeg is not that bad. Straight jpeg is what I use now.
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Pros - Accurate and fast AF!!!
Certainly goes against the trend on here.

I liked the default settings I saw on the K10D - Pentax seem to have gone the other way now, possibly due to the "JUST" last time. Perhaps they should just set the default to the same as canon to satisfy DPR.

Live view is here to stay it seems and Pentax will be crucified if they put out a camera without it. Then they will be slammed if it isn't on par with the competition - more R&D, more expensive cameras - Have we seen the last of the low cost Pentaxes??
09-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #7

i know i should go back through and pull out some quotes to support this, but:

the whole review i felt like they didn't put nearly the same amount of effort into it as they do for the bigger brands. they didn't flesh-out the comments, skipped over points that could've/should've been mentioned, short-shfrited plusses, etc.

maybe i found it cause i was expecting it going in, but it did not seem very objective, in subtle ways.

one i can think of is the noise-reduction setting. imo the k200d destroys the nikon in those tests in both detail AND noise-elimination. they commented how the high nr setting in the pentax eliminates so much detail, but if you look at it versus the others, the high setting is far and away better than what the other cameras are doing by default. but dpr had no comment about it. that just seemed like blatant lack of effort/interest in producing a full review to me.

09-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The review was not too flattering in a few places. I have to laugh though. Check out the review on the *IST DS.;
Pentax *ist DS Review: 24. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

They were moaning then that the jpg was too oversaturated (and soft) then on the bright setting. I agree that the "Natural" Should be the default to keep the reviewers happy.

I am very happy with the JPGs out of this camera 99% of the time. For the rest I shoot RAW+JPG, so I will bring RAW in as required.

Speaking of sharpening, nothing on Fine/Normal sharpening option. Minimal detail on the comparison tool (which I personally use a lot), nothing on the fact that DNG output is there in Adobe colour space, and minimal amounts on the "quick setups" you can keep on each of the output (Bright, Natual BW etc) settings.

The post-processing options in camera are nothing short of great, and were barely mentioned (especially the two step you can do for processing a raw file with filters (eg IR) etc, then processing the JPG afterward for effects). For my style where I am doing minimal PP work, this is great.

I do enjoy reading the reviews, but I wish that they would take time to optimise the settings that are there rather than throwing everything into PP.
09-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadeR Quote
the engine is not so bad as they say... in the pentax k200d if you choose the english language, the camera automaticly set the sharp value to +1 or +2 (dont know how of thoose).
i think if they set the value to 0 the results will be better.

cyaz and sorry for my poor english. =X
I changed mine to "0", from the default as you mentioned, it does help, but even at the +1 default...it's good imo
09-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Canon IS seems to be at least one stop better in their cheapest IS lens vs any kind of Pentax SR, be it K200D or K20D ...

===

compare for example Canon IS (in lens) @ 55mm here
Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review: 3. Test results: Digital Photography Review

and Pentax SR @ 50mm there (K200D)
Pentax K200D Review: 13. Features: Digital Photography Review

or there (K20D)
Pentax K20D Review: 16. Features: Digital Photography Review

screenshots are below (K200D -> Canon IS -> K20D)
Attached Images

09-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

two possible conclusions from the IS test
i. i think usually people say that Pentax is the weakest compared to Oly and Sony
ii. lens based is better
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
two possible conclusions from the IS test
i. i think usually people say that Pentax is the weakest compared to Oly and Sony
yes and dust removal too (sensor SR shake vs SSWF)

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
ii. lens based is better
no doubt : it can be specifically optimized for that particular lens and it is FF compatible...
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange conclusion... Don't they (DPREVIEW testers) really know that jpeg could be adjustable?

They says:
"Luckily there are two ways of working around this limitation though. You can either modify the default settings or, even better, shoot in RAW."

Conclusion - Pros
Good range of JPEG customization options.
Overall - Highly Recommended (if you shoot in RAW).

Why? I can make a lot of versions of in-camera jpeg. To my taste. A lot of. K200D has several adjustable image modes.

Where is logic?

As for SR - various hands with various lenses give various results.
I can get 1 stop with FA24 and can get 4 stops with FA135 or FA77.
09-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for me - K200D's jpeg is the best I ever see.
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for me - K200D's jpeg is the best I ever see.
I agree that the K200D's JPEGs are very good when the settings are tweaked properly. It's disappointing that dpreview wouldn't test some other settings like they have in other DSLR reviews.

Also, in regards to lens-based stabilization vs. in-body stabilization: does Canon or Nikon make a stabilized 50/1.4 ? Enough said.