Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Apple, Canon, Nikon, Samsung,Sony, Fuji. Motorola, Olympus. Panasonic, LG, HTC, Pentax, Ricoh, Kodak, Nokia for your top 15 on Flickr
But then flickr is oldschool. We dont have stats on facebook, instagram and whatever the kids use these days.
More importantly flickr might be regionally centered on US or western countries. I bet there are huge Indian, Russian, Chinese etc. sites which can hold trillions of images.

02-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
But then flickr is oldschool. We dont have stats on facebook, instagram and whatever the kids use these days.
More importantly flickr might be regionally centered on US or western countries. I bet there are huge Indian, Russian, Chinese etc. sites which can hold trillions of images.
At present it's the best info available and at least it's info....as opposed to the comment above that is speculation. Use what you have until you get something better. But there is a certain class of folks who seem to think being able to criticize evidence and suggest weaknesses means their opinion is better than actual evidence. When all it really means is you might be able to contradict the evidence with better evidence, but given the overall workings of things, its more likely that additional evidence will confirm the original.

It's very rare that data collected on the scale flickr does is completely unreliable. There are thousands of people posting on flickr everyday. In terms of available information, it's as far as I can tell the only source. You can argue that the flickr demographic is not representative, but making the argument doesn't make it true that a different demographic would produce different results. That might be true, but it needs to be documented to accepted as truth. In the meantime, it's speculation, where as the flickr numbers are evidence.

The only thing that supersedes evidence, is better evidence.

"My opinion is better than evidence" is anti-science.

Last edited by normhead; 02-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
02-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I found your image, very lovely. Congratulations on the placement Barry.
Thanks Brian. This sort of image really does benefit from Pixel Shift. When I've shown these (I'm calling them Flower Portraits) images most folk start to talk about focus shifting etc., I don't let on that it's easier with a Pentax. I just let them struggle with their Canons
02-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I watch a good number of Vlog's etc on Youtube as well as Netflix documentaries and many many of them choose Canon for the video as well as stills capability. I think Canon is in #1 spot for Video with Sony right there. With so many professional photographers needing solid video as well as stills it's not surprising you see Canon so often. Who cares if the stills are a little better if your clients require video or you need it to market yourself. The 6Dii which getting blasted as terrible in all kinds of reviews is very popular for Vlogging.

02-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The only thing that supersedes evidence, is better evidence.
"My opinion is better than evidence" is anti-science.
I agree it is a good data point. I just wanted to highlight that this has to be taken with a grain of salt or bag of salt.
You might notice that I did not contradict you.
02-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon's lagging behind in sensor test charts. I find Canon real life image rendering to be more pleasing to the eyes. Sony and Nikon add more saturate colors saturation/sharpening making images pop more and look better in test charts; but the final images look more artificial.
This is it right here. For everything Canon has done wrong these last few years, there's two things they have really going for them, perhaps what they're most known for...

Fantastic lens (and selection) and thier color science.

"Canon color" is definitely a real thing, I remember the camera store doing a blind jpg test and Canon came out on top on almost everything.

02-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The real reason for me Canon was 4 to 1 is that their lenses are cheaper to its competition counterparts, also applies to third party lens.
(A mount doesnt count, its really dead).
Color science? Raw or jpg?