Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Finally got the 10D into the Studio

Finally back at school know and managed to get the K10D going in the studio, i Must say a hell of alot more convenient to use in the studio then the DS, drop it in to X mode and adjust the aperture all i want, no other button presses required, the remote sensor on the back, magic. All in all very hapy with the camera, shame about the assignment, 4 hours for no result... :< ah well there is always next week. Post the shot when i get it sorted.

02-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Pardon the stupid question but what would the process have been on your DS ?
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Had a go myself the other day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Finally back at school know and managed to get the K10D going in the studio, i Must say a hell of alot more convenient to use in the studio then the DS, drop it in to X mode and adjust the aperture all i want, no other button presses required, the remote sensor on the back, magic. All in all very hapy with the camera, shame about the assignment, 4 hours for no result... :< ah well there is always next week. Post the shot when i get it sorted.
Apart from finding AF a bit slow-ish under modelling lights, it all worked great. However I had to use M mode at 1/125 because my radio transmitters dont sync at 180! Look forward to your shots.
02-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
Pardon the stupid question but what would the process have been on your DS ?
Put the camera in M on the DS then to change aperture i have to hold down the Ev/Av button and turn the wheel. or use Av and get ridiculously low shutter speeds.

Easier with the K10D, simply turn the dial, also don't have to worry about WB settings are ISO settings, it does it all for me.

02-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What was your assignment?
02-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
What was your assignment?
Copy shot, or a shot to layout, we were supplied with an image that we had to replicate.

Pentax K10D, Samsung SA 50-200 f4-5.6, 200mm, f11, 1/180th, 100 ISO

DNG+ Bright mode Jpeg
02-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

WHY?

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Why X Mode. That restricts you to shooting at 1/180th of a second. Try this. Switch to manual mode. Set your shutter speed to 1/8th of a second. Stick a half blue correction filter on to your strobe heads, take the main light and shoot it at 90 degrees to the model or product and up at about 30 degrees and see what happens. You might try to shake the camera in and out very quickly while pressing the shutter...

Tell me what you get...
02-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Why X Mode. That restricts you to shooting at 1/180th of a second. Try this. Switch to manual mode. Set your shutter speed to 1/8th of a second. Stick a half blue correction filter on to your strobe heads, take the main light and shoot it at 90 degrees to the model or product and up at about 30 degrees and see what happens. You might try to shake the camera in and out very quickly while pressing the shutter...

Tell me what you get...
I use a higher shutter speed to try limit the extraneous light as much as possible, As i am currently studying with shared facilities, and at times there being as many as 15 of us working in the studio, and not having enough gear to stop light spill, it just makes it easier to minimise the possibility of catching other peoples lights by using higher shutter speeds.

02-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
However I had to use M mode at 1/125 because my radio transmitters dont sync at 180! Look forward to your shots.
Weird!

Did you try setting your DS to 1/3 EV intervals and shoot at 1/160 ?

bazz.
02-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Tell me what you get...
I used to do stuff like that during location night shoots - combining strobe, flashlight for painting, and time exposure - sometimes requiring models to stay still, sometimes not.

Larry
02-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Weird!

bazz.
I think it is an issue with the radio syncs not, as opposed to the camera being the issue.
02-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Weird!

bazz.
No - the delay is in the strobes (the radio trigger works fine with regular flash guns).
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #13

what kind of "radio trigger" do you use? Brand? Does it work with Pentax flash guns seamlessly? High speed sync?

thanks