Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has anyone else experienced this K-5II issue?

Hello!

So I have a K-5II which seems to be randomly freezing on start up. The top display will turn on and the lens will focus, but the shutter won't fire and the rear screen won't turn on. The mirror won't even flip. Just no response. But the top screen is still showing exposure and I can adjust it with the dials. This doesn't happen on every start up and I haven't found a pattern. I have tested this with multiple lenses, too.

The only solution I have found is pulling out and reinserting the battery while it's still on.

Anyone else experience this? Any more permanent solutions?

Thanks!

02-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think another member reported something like this a while back. It may be the start of failure of the main board. Certainly not common, but possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think another member reported something like this a while back. It may be the start of failure of the main board. Certainly not common, but possible.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.
02-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K5 and K5iis. Some batteries don't register properly at times. I think it is due to battery age. One has already been relegated to recycling. Have you tried a new battery??

02-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That has happened with my K-5II a number of times over the years. In my case it seems to be an occasional glitch. Simply removing the battery for a minute, putting it back and turning on resolves the issue for me. I had several occurrences last fall but none since. Last week I shot 900+ photos without incident. Hopefully your situation will be the same.
02-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
I have a K5 and K5iis. Some batteries don't register properly at times. I think it is due to battery age. One has already been relegated to recycling. Have you tried a new battery??
I haven't actually. I'll get a new battery and give that a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
That has happened with my K-5II a number of times over the years. In my case it seems to be an occasional glitch. Simply removing the battery for a minute, putting it back and turning on resolves the issue for me. I had several occurrences last fall but none since. Last week I shot 900+ photos without incident. Hopefully your situation will be the same.
That's really weird. But it's good to know an older model is still kicking.
02-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I experienced freeze ups on occasion, and as has been said turning off power, removing the battery, re-inserting the battery, and turning the power on did solve the issue. Also the old/faulty battery symptom may be the problem. I strictly use Pentax batteries, and they are usually dependable for a long time.

Good luck!

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
02-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

Has anyone experienced this? (K5 11 freeze up)

Yes, 3 years ago while on an island in the Mekong Delta Viet Nam, the K511 I gave my wife to use 'froze up'. high humidity at the time. I pulled the batteries, waited 2 minutes and replaced, no luck. Then went into the menu and set the menu to 'default setting' and voila all went back to normal. Has not been a problem since this problem 3.5 years ago

02-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Then went into the menu and set the menu to 'default setting' and voila all went back to normal.
Really??? Interesting. Does that mean reset all menu settings to default? What firmware was it?
02-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a similar issue some time ago...the camera froze and I assumed it was dead batteries. Bought and charged a new one with no luck. It finally was solved with a firmware upgrade...seemed there was an issue with camera's firmware and the battery grip. The updated firmware cured it and it's been good ever since.
02-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welp. Will not turn on at all now. I guess it's time to move on. Maybe upgrade to the K-3II while it's cheap.