Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Format Question: can you switch to same model?

If you format an SD card in one model say a K-50 or a K-3, can you just move the card to a similar model: K-50 to K-50 or K-3 to K-3? This would be for the purpose of not eliminating the pics on the SD card. I understand that you should save the pics to another medium and just use a different card, but I wanted to know if this situation is possible so it wouldn't damage or corrupt files/pics. thanks

02-16-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
If you format an SD card in one model say a K-50 or a K-3, can you just move the card to a similar model: K-50 to K-50 or K-3 to K-3? This would be for the purpose of not eliminating the pics on the SD card. I understand that you should save the pics to another medium and just use a different card, but I wanted to know if this situation is possible so it wouldn't damage or corrupt files/pics. thanks
Formatting the card deletes all data. You can freely switch cards between bodies without formatting, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
I understand that you should save the pics to another medium and just use a different card, but I wanted to know if this situation is possible so it wouldn't damage or corrupt files/pics. thanks
In my experience, you can corrupt or 'lose' files when swapping one card to another camera, even between models. It's not common, but I've seen this happen.

Memory cards are not expensive relative to the cost of losing precious shots. I would keep the same card or cards for the same camera together and avoid swapping. If you must, then back up the images and reformat the card on the new camera.

Is this necessary always? No. But I would say it is one of the most common causes of lost images I see when a student borrows a memory card from one camera and uses it in another. The problem occurs with the original camera files. And this is based on both same make to same make and same model to model experiences.
02-16-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I routinely swap cards between brands and even different types of devices - if I yank a card from a sound recorder and stick it in my camera it might make a new folder for the photos, but it won't delete the existing files on the card. Some very old devices might re-format the card, but I haven't come across that since the 2mp days.

02-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My daughter-in-law just borrowed one of my K-3 cards for a walk with her K-x. No problem at all. It even displayed my K-3 images.
02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I routinely swap cards between brands and even different types of devices - if I yank a card from a sound recorder and stick it in my camera it might make a new folder for the photos, but it won't delete the existing files on the card. Some very old devices might re-format the card, but I haven't come across that since the 2mp days.
Same here. I have never experienced any problems moving a formatted card between cameras and across brands with file contents. I have seen some cameras slow down when the file folder structure was different than they expected and contained more files than they were really meant to handle. I have also seen cameras fail to display a jpg when the resolution was off from expected Maximum. But those are minor issues unrelated to loss of data.
02-16-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Actually I'll add one caveat, Never remove any storage device while the host is still writing to it - that could cause problems.

If you turn the camera off and wait for any lights to stop flashing before removing the card you will be fine.

Same with unplugging a disk from a computer (use the eject function or turn the machine off).

02-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually I'll add one caveat, Never remove any storage device while the host is still writing to it - that could cause problems.

If you turn the camera off and wait for any lights to stop flashing before removing the card you will be fine.

Same with unplugging a disk from a computer (use the eject function or turn the machine off).
Agreed. Didn't think to mention it, thanks.
02-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Formatting an SD card is a bit like taking a book with blank pages and drawing lines where the text should go. Once that's done, writing in the book is just a routine. It shouldn't matter which device uses it after it's formatted though each device may write its own set of file structures.
02-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I routinely swap cards between
different Pentax bodies. No problems.
02-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, you can move that same card from camera to camera, even into other brands, adding pics as you go.
I don't know if that's recommended, but it works.
02-16-2018, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may screw up the file numbers! I've had this happen.
02-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that moving the card from one Pentax camera to another may cause the second camera to pick up the numbering sequence from the first.

Added: AstroDave beat me to it because I didn't post my reply properly; otherwise we would both have posted at about the same time.

Last edited by cpk; 02-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.
02-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have actually taken an SD card out of my K-5, with JPGs on it, and put it in my Canon 6D so I could use the 6D's wifi to send an image to my phone for email. It worked.
02-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In theory, both the FAT file system structure and the SD card interface are very standardized. All camera makers should, in theory, be compatible with that standard. But that does not mean they really are or that updates in firmware that, for example, enable access to larger SD cards don't also have minor changes to the file system.

Switching cards between newer and older cameras (or newer and older firmware versions) may have unpredictable results especially in moving a card from a modern camera or firmware version to an older one.

Overall, it seems that one can usually get away with swapping cards around (my Pentax cameras can even view images taken with a Canon point-n-shoot). That said, I tend to follow Alex645's advice of buying a few more cards and not sharing cards between cameras.

Finally, it's worth noting that if you have any weirdness with a camera (such as a lock-up that forces battery removal during file saving) or files that fail to write or seem corrupted, then it's best to set that card aside, carefully get all the files off of it, and then reformat it. If the file system becomes corrupted, continued use of the card has a higher risk of data loss.