Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

K200D FOCUSING and etc. Questions

Just got my third K200D. First time having these problems: 1) when I turn camera on, it 'rumbles" - ?? 2) When I try to focus/shoot, there is a red light blinking on and off on the front of the grip. What's that? 3) when I first turn on the camera it is beeping. I tried to get all the settings in the menu to match my other K200D, but maybe I missed something?

Thanks for any assistance!

02-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rumbling is sensor cleaning. It is silent on later/more advanced bodies.

The red beam is AF assist.

The beeping could be related to the drive mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try to get back to basics... Go into the menus and do a complete reset to defaults in the "Set-up->Reset", then program your settings.

The "rumble" when you turn it on is the dust-removal on startup (adjustable in one of the menus, "Set-up->Dust Removal->Start-up action" which is apparently enabled), and the flashing light on the front when you try to take a picture is the indicator light for when the self-timer is activated (Fn button->UP control-pad button->change the drive mode to "Single frame shooting"). The beep is adjustable (or off) in the "Set-up->Beep" menu item.

Enjoy your "new" K200D - a good, solid performer in my opinion. I just "inherited" one from my daughter who no longer used it (she has a K-1, with a K-3 as a backup).

-Joe-
02-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Follow-up. I did discover that I had unknowingly changed the drive mode from continuous shooting to 12-seconds self-timer. I fixed that. But, it still 'rumbles' when I turn it on. The blinking light on the front of the grip is not blinking anymore (no light is on at all). Now that I think of it, and I always look for answers in the operator manual before asking questions, what is the best way to set the camera for the fastest continuous shooting? Or isn't fast continuous really possible with the K200D?

---------- Post added 02-17-18 at 06:45 PM ----------

Thanks, Adam and K0og! The dust removal has been corrected in start-up, great! I got rid of the beeping when I fixed the settings in FN. Is single-frame shooting going to be quicker than continuous mode?

02-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kseld Quote
The dust removal has been corrected in start-up
It is a good idea to leave the dust removal on at start up. It cleans the dust from your sensor.
02-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
New problem. Sensor cleaning. Followed all instructions in manual; still have marks on the white screen after dust alert procedure is followed with mirror up. Removed lens, used blower, marks just move around. Is my blower not strong enough? My other K200Ds never had this problem.

Thanks again for any assist!
02-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kseld Quote
New problem. Sensor cleaning. Followed all instructions in manual; still have marks on the white screen after dust alert procedure is followed with mirror up. Removed lens, used blower, marks just move around. Is my blower not strong enough? My other K200Ds never had this problem.

Thanks again for any assist!
You may need to do a "wet" or professional cleaning. Blowing + the automated system aren't always enough for stubborn, small pieces of dust.

Also, if you're a fan of silent operation, definitely look at cameras like the K-3 or KP, which have both DR II and quieter shutters.

Continuous shooting is fine if you want to shoot bursts, but shouldn't be your go-to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Adam, I'm going on safari, so want the continuous shooting for that. Otherwise, I never need it! I guess it only goes so fast (i.e., not fast enough)??? I guess I'll do a search as to where I can get a professional clean done. Thanks again -