Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteQuote:
It verifies that the K20D and K200D sales seem to be pathetic!
care to share how you came to that conclusion?

09-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
It verifies that the K20D and K200D sales seem to be pathetic!
The data imply nothing of the sort.

All it implies is that less photos have been accepted into the PPG since those models were released. This probably has far more to do with the pace of Pentax's oversight of the gallery than it does with sales.

You're using the fuel gauge to tell how fast you are going.
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samuis Quote
care to share how you came to that conclusion?
They are the current models which marketed for quite a while now but they got little shares there.
09-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
They are the current models which marketed for quite a while now but they got little shares there.
RH,

I understood long time ago that you're not too bright but let me try to put this in some really simple terms so even you could understand.

If today there are 4800 and some pictures and only 4% of those are K20D made then of course this means 4% of total. But considering how many pictures were added from March (the date K20D was available) and I would say maybe 6-700 this means around 35% of all pictures taken in the lifetime of K20D! So, one in 3 pictures from the last 5-6 months was taken with a K20D which is pretty remarcable in fact!
So, my dear Canon fan in fact your 4% is more like over 30% so you look kind of stu...d again.

Glad to make you look this way AGAIN!
Radu

09-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your work. I have the K10 now, but have often considered the *Ist Ds
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Nice pie chart. I have to admit that it is what I expected. The K10D was the first "proper" pro spec camera, a big seller, and the most popular model to use. As for the *istDS, again I am not surprised, I also have this model, and with having a Pentaprism rather than Pentamirror it is the brightest of the entry level DSLRS.
The subsequent DL, DL2, DS2, K110D, K100D, K100D super, did not advance the original DS by any means from a IQ point of view, only larger LCD, and in one circumstance, Shake reduction. In some circumstances they are worse with only having a Pentamirror.
Only with the K200D, did the entry level model better the IQ (and again with only a Pentamirror :-( )
I did look at the useage on Flickr, and it is basically the same.

As for low numbers for K20D and K200D, it is due to the fact that they are fairly recent models, and people are only just upgrading to these newer models, Also K10D users have such a good camera over the previous generation, they will be slow to go to the K20D. for example I have the DS with approx 6000 shots taken, and the K10D with over 16000 shots taken in just over 14 months.

Both are running well, and a K20D is not immediate, nor is the K200D

Last edited by offertonhatter; 09-13-2008 at 01:14 PM.
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Since you ask for analysis, here's mine:

The K10D was a breakthrough camera, that convinced many users to move to Pentax. The K20D is newer, and an evolution of the K10D, so most 10 uses probably did not migrate.

K10D uses know their cameras better and because of this get better results. They know it better because they've used it longer.

The DS was, in its way, a small breakthrough body too, and probably was the body that convinced the most film users to switch to digital.

The K100D has a great user base, that could be convinced to move to a K30D eventually (that's marketing analysis :P ) K10D users cold probably also move to a newer body if it was a bigger upgrade than the K20D was.

Interesting stats, and the bottom line is : Pentax cameras can be used to take great pictures :P
How do you know me? LOL

I got the DS as my first DSLR, having film in the Past, and was much cheaper than the D, The K10D was the first Prosumer DSLR so bought that 3 years later. :-)
09-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The K100D has a great user base, that could be convinced to move to a K30D eventually (that's marketing analysis :P )
I'd happily buy a K20 to replace/supplement my K100D Super right now.... except Pentax makes too many wonderful lenses for me to buy first!