Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DSLR camera popularity in Pentaxphotogallery

I decided to do a little comparison chart about how popular are different models of Pentax digital SLRs in Pentaxphotogallery. As you can see the K10D is an absolute winner far before it's first follower *Ist DS. I'm a bit surprised that DS is a second most popular SDLR, but then again I like it a lot for it's small size big viewfinder, lightweight and good build quality - not to mention AA support. Perhaps Pentax should look back when designing new entry/mid level camera. But that's just my dream.
Anyway, care to share your analysis of the chart?

Total DSLR pictures: 4814

Last edited by Matjazz; 09-02-2008 at 07:50 AM.
09-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

wow

i dont know what to say, but thats really cool!
09-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Suprised about the amount of *istDS photos in the Gallery - but then again I certainly believe the *istDS was (and still is) a fantastic package and perhaps there are many out there like me who are finding it very hard to let go of this camera.
09-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what does Pentax have to do to move all those K10D oweners to move to a new body ...I'm one of them and I skipped the K20D hoping for something that offers more than just a better sensor (which I think the K20D has).

Mike.

09-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How long did it take you to make this graph?

Did you actually manually search by camera?
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Since you ask for analysis, here's mine:

The K10D was a breakthrough camera, that convinced many users to move to Pentax. The K20D is newer, and an evolution of the K10D, so most 10 uses probably did not migrate.

K10D uses know their cameras better and because of this get better results. They know it better because they've used it longer.

The DS was, in its way, a small breakthrough body too, and probably was the body that convinced the most film users to switch to digital.

The K100D has a great user base, that could be convinced to move to a K30D eventually (that's marketing analysis :P ) K10D users cold probably also move to a newer body if it was a bigger upgrade than the K20D was.

Interesting stats, and the bottom line is : Pentax cameras can be used to take great pictures :P
09-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

WOW like it very much!!!!!

I own and use a K100D Super, but will not chage it forthe world!
OK yes there are better models out there, but they cost a packet!
They have a lager sensor (MPs).... but will i need them?
will I ever use the extra features?

I dont think I ever will no....

09-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
How long did it take you to make this graph?

Did you actually manually search by camera?
You can browse the gallery by "image data/camera model" and that's just what I did. Then you see total number of images taken with the camera. I believe it was something like half an hour total. Luckily Pentax doesn't have that many digital models
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You took all these time to summarise into a pie chart like this. Thanks for all that effort.

I personally like DS for the skin tone rendering better than k10d or k20d. K10d is a little weak with shadow colour rendering.
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not surprised, the K10D was really a big success for Pentax. Look here also: POTD Statistics -- photographyvoice.com, The K10D comes first, above the D-200.

To be honest, the K20D and K200D are failures in comparison. The K20D was/is too expensive. I'm guessing the sensor did inflate the price (not getting the Sony sensor economy of scale). And for the K200D, the weathersealing inflated the price compared to the K100D. Not to mention that technologically these 2 cameras (aside from the Samsung sensor) didn't bring anything new.
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The catch to this type of analysis is that it infers a constant rate of input into the PPG database. It truth it may be that the overseers of the PPG have been more productive in accepting photos at times when camera x was released than camera y, and so on. There are many variables untraceable because the original data points are obscure.

I's a good set of data, but is only part of a much larger statistical profile.
09-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm agree that statistic analysis are more than numbers. It would also be interesting if we took number of images taken in last two months. The K10D's advantage over K20D is also due to earlier release date.
I used available data and luckily we have this forum to debate them.
09-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Syb
Veteran Member

Another nice thing would be to see how much pictures are made by a camera. Are there more pictures per K10d than per K20d? That would show how happy the users are with their dslr.

Or how many great shots get out of the camera.

Syb
09-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
*Ist DS. I'm a bit surprised that DS is a second most popular SDLR, but then again I like it a lot for it's small size big viewfinder, lightweight and good build quality
Yes, I miss a lot for my sold DS for the attributes you mentioned!

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, care to share your analysis of the chart?
It verifies that the K20D and K200D sales seem to be pathetic!
09-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You took all these time to summarise into a pie chart like this. Thanks for all that effort.

I personally like DS for the skin tone rendering better than k10d or k20d. K10d is a little weak with shadow colour rendering.
And I have always been drawn toward the ds images. That is what made me look into Pentax dlsr in the first place. The *st ds does a wonderful job in many ways and I find the images it produces quite pleasing. The k10d offers the ergonomics I love. So much so that I own two.