Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

K-1 ii Upgrade - New Logo - What does this mean

Hello

I read the PressRealease about the Update for US$ 550

The change of the logic board should be OK but i have a question about the following!

"Additionally the current SR logo on the PENTAX K-1 MKII will be replaced with the new PENTAX K-1 MKII logo"
What does this mean? Will their be a complete new metal-based TopCover with the K-1 II fixed milled or will their be an Sticker only with the Text "K-1 II"

Any ideas

Gérard

02-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understood that as the little SR logo that can be found near the camera mount will be a different one than the Pentax DSLRs had so far. I don't think this means the top or camera brand name will be different.
02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, I guess what they're trying to say is that except for the "II" on the body, an upgraded K-1 would otherwise be identical to the K-1 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
"Additionally the current SR logo on the PENTAX K-1 MKII will be replaced with the new PENTAX K-1 MKII logo" What does this mean? Will their be a complete new metal-based TopCover with the K-1 II fixed milled or will their be an Sticker only with the Text "K-1 II

Two things...

First, the top plate on the K-1 is polycarbonate, not metal.

Second, I was a little confused by this sentence in the press release as well. Based on all the pictures I've seen of the K-1 II online, the "SR" logo on the bottom right of the camera's grip looks identical to the "SR" logo on the K-1. So IDK why they'd change it, unless what they actually meant is what you said, that they'd actually be changing the "K-1" logo on the upper left of the camera to say "K-1 II"

As of now I have no idea.

02-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
"Additionally the current SR logo on the PENTAX K-1 MKII will be replaced with the new PENTAX K-1 MKII logo"
That is a strange sentence. This badly munged announcement could be interpreted as:
  • Reading exactly as written ("SR" replaced with "K-1 II") with main "K-1 logo remaining- or -
  • "SR" replaced by "SR 2" or similar (K-1 II photos not accurate?) with main "K-1" logo remaining - or -
  • The "K-1" logo will be replaced by "K-1 II" with "SR" remaining as is - or -
  • Changes to both "K-1" and "SR" logos

Steve
02-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
So on the market will be 3 "K-1", a little bit confusing
1) The Original K-1
2) The Upgraded K-1 with an "K-1" Logo on the Top Cover and an identical SR-Logo on the front
3) The Original K-1ii with an "K-1 ii" Logo on the Top Cover and an SR-Logo on the Front

For me the SR Logo on both the K-1 & K-1 ii looks 100% identical

What will happen on the secondhand market? A lot of people want to try to sell their K-1 as an Upgraded K-1 ii because their is no visible difference? Then we can speak from K-1 fakes! :-(

Gérard
02-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #7

Why not contact Ricoh for clarification?

02-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be easy to pop on a new top plate (with K-1 ii on it) as part of the process, I'd imagine - they would probably have to take it off to get into the camera anyway
02-22-2018, 12:07 PM - 5 Likes   #9

They are going to replace "SR" logo to "II" logo.
K-1 logo will stay same.

Here is the official announcement from Ricoh Imaging JAPAN.
マウント正面左下の「SR」バッジを「II」バッジに交換いたします。
- "SR" badge by the left bottom of the mount will be replaced to "II' badge. -

I first read US Ricoh Imaging announcement so I was confused as well.
Then Ricoh Imaging JAPAN announcement was released a few hours later.
I am Japanese so I understood what they really meant.
It was just bad translation or miscommunication/misunderstanding between Japan head office and other countries' offices.

So this "II" logo will let anyone to identify if the body is the original K-1, the modified K-1, or K-1 mark II.
02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yukon-bearspirit Quote
They are going to replace "SR" logo to "II" logo.
K-1 logo will stay same.
Cool!

Apparently the new SR II logo is something that has not been included in any photo to-date, eh?

Steve
02-22-2018, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool!

Apparently the new SR II logo is something that has not been included in any photo to-date, eh?

Steve

It won't be "SR II" logo but just "II" logo, I believe. That's what I read from the Japanese announcement.
I assume the "II" logo reflects "Mark II", not "SR II" because SR in the K-1 was already called as SR II.
02-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd figured they would pencil in the "ii" after K-1.
SR isn't the change as much as PxShift, which thus far has gone logo free. Maybe they'll make one up for another $100?
02-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

Well actually it could serve a dual purpose - for K-1 mk II and SR II. I wonder if they will return the old "SR" badge is you could stick it on your camera bag or something.
02-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

not sure how they deal with warranty after upgraded.
02-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh, so they will try to differentiate it from the K-1II? There will be K-1, K-1 SRII (modified K-1), and K-1II?
Pentax is always pretty bad at communicating with their users. It seems something was lost in translation. Would be great if Pentax got this sorted, as it would make the brand look much more professional if they had a unified message with clear statements.

But allowing people to upgrade their K-1 is a really nice move