Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Peter, not only should you say YES, you should do it more often.
These are excellent and with no apologies to the "pros", they're equivelant or better.
And not only more often but with $$$$$$$$$
Nice job on all photos. And very good "poses". The only thing I do in addition is take 1 or maybe 2 film cameras with me. I only have one digital and I never want an excuse not to get the job done.
I also stop by the Megalo mart and pickup a 16 pack of batteries for the flash. You just never know.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-04-2008 at 01:51 PM.
09-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Petermgr, from those posted photos, you did a fine job and i'm sure they're very happy if not, disown your son LOL
Thanks Clicker. They are happy with the photos and I'm hoping they never recommend me again . . . lol . . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
well done Petermgr
Thanks nulla

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
really lovely photo's - making me want to enjoy b&w more and more -something timeless with b&w pics. Wedding photography IS very demanding and stressful for sure. At least today you can quickly chimp and do a quick retake if needed. In the days of film there was no such luxury so it increased the stress factor by 100%.
Thanks! For sure we have the luxury these days with digital. But we have an over abundance of amateurs (including myself) who think they can take wedding assignments without really appreciating the skill and art of doing such a task. Even with the digital and 500+ pictures I'm looking back thinking I missed something, or someone . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You did great Peter and I'm sure your comments on how it went down will be useful to others.
Thanks. I think the experience was worth it but will not sure I could go through that stress again . .
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nice job! Doing a wedding would scare the c$!@ out of me. I think I would be OK technically, but coming up with interesting, classy, and timeless poses has got to be tough!
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you did a fine job !!! And I would love to see some more images...

09-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the wedding party was a fun crowd. Very nice job with the photographs. Personally I just like to stick to landscape and architecture photography, I just don't have the imagination or artistic talent for portrait photography, at least not to make it boring. Well done.
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Goodness man you a way to humble! Stop saying you are not a professional. Say you are an ADVANCED AMETUER that delivers PROFESSIONAL QUALITY. Your pictures are truly awsome and you know they are! You could make some money. Remember at a wedding, you are the director of photograpy. Take charge, have fun and be the best you can be.
09-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

4) Finally, I'll never say yes again. While the intent may be good in a "gift giving" spirit, and the recipients understand the inexperience of the volunteer photographer, it's way too stressful. So many things can go wrong and so many things missed. The "I should have done that" gets no second chance. Next time, if asked, I will say no, but will gladly be a side kick to a professional. Then my imagination can really let loose through my lens . . .

I think thats its You who needs a assistant because (apart from stress)you have an eye to see what your mind is a good shot.

A great series from a NON Professional well done I throughly enjoy it

cheers
09-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #23

Nice stuff!

I shoot weddings professionaly and they are STRESSFULL!! That's why I charge anywhere from $1500 to $3000. Granted I'm still yet to book a $3000 wedding, but it's a marketing tactic to insure a professional feel. "He must be very good to charge that much!"

My first wedding was for a friend. I had one camera, one flash and a few AA batteries. It was inside, so all my batts died and I had to go to the store minutes before the wedding to reload. lol

The second wedding was not for a friend and they paid $250. lol It is stressful to take photos of strangers and "order" them around. You get used to it after a while, but there is still always that stress of not getting "the shot". Trust me, you'll miss it, but if you take lots of photos, sometimes the bride doesn't even notice because she is so pleased with everything else. That's why wedding photography costs so much.

You seem to have the talent. If you want to invest in some backup equipment and do some low cost advertising, you can make some decent money at it. And I agree, dress comfortably! I usually wear slacks and a nice bottom shirt. No suits and ties!! I'm on the ground, on my back, sweat and all that good stuff.

Best thing about doing weddings in a stressfull world, you learn your camera very quickly and it forces you learn better photography!

Best of luck!!

09-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #24

Peter,

If the rest of your pictures are close to the ones you posted, calm down! On my off times, I check out lots of other wedding and portrait sites. Many, "so-called" pros have nothing even close to yours!

If they're going to be disappointed with reasonably good shots, they have more things in life to worry about. (Like how long the marriage is going to last!)

Just remember to calm down and do your thing!
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #25

Nice work!

Very nice work...the Pentax is your brush!

I shot my last wedding entirely with the 16-45mm...a great lens. Even the indoor stuff came out nicely.

As a part-time photographer, I would say you should charge for your work....If you're interested I can refer you to an online gallery provider with shopping cart...which costs about $30 a month.....

Anyway...good job..
09-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #26
graphicgr8s

Just don't become like most wedding photogs and go "cookie cutter" You would make a great niche photographer and probably make some decent money so long as you don't lose you creative edge. I doff my hat to you friend.