Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I wish the K10D had a battery charge indicator that was more precise than the one used now. Although I think the other manufacturers aren't much better in the indicator area. I will have to look in my manual to figure out how to do that though. I don't recall seeing the 'how to' in the manual. Maybe it's just a scroll through the menu ?
I think the problem is that the batteries are so good at maintaining voltage right until they are flat that the indicators are of little use. By the time the indicator knows the battery voltage has dropped, it's way too late.

09-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think the problem is that the batteries are so good at maintaining voltage right until they are flat that the indicators are of little use. By the time the indicator knows the battery voltage has dropped, it's way too late.

Very good point Albert.

On another for someone here without a battery grip...

Is it best to let the battery go dead or near dead before charging?

I usually re charge when the indicator gets about halfway, sometimes less if I have an event the following day.

Neil
09-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Usually find it is just over 400 shots using all sorts of Autofocus and full time Shake Reduction with a few flash shots thrown in. I don't bother with a grip, but always have two spare charged batteries hanging around.
09-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Unlike Nicad's these batteies shouldn't be totally drained to get the most life out of them. It's better to have a little power left in them before charging them.

As for the number of shots. It depends on the batteries. I carry 5 with me on a shoot just in case. I have 2 originals and those will give me about 500 shots per battery. The Ebay cheapos give me about half that and are only kept as backups. So with a grip (I have it set to "grip first") I'll replace the OEM battery aboult half way through a typical wedding shoot and have to uses the cheapos to finish the day. I try to leave the battery in the camera full as much as possible. Thoe cheap batteries will be replaced this winter with Pentax or Minolta originals.

09-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ouch! I have several Romanian friends here in the Portland/Vancouver area.

Steve

They have fled Romania because of the same people.
09-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #21

I find the K10D very good - up to and over 1000 shots , no flash, continuous autofocus, shake reduction on, startup sensor clean off. Limited chimping after shots. I'm using the on-brand Pentax battery that came with the K10D, the cheap off-brand one I got at the same time lasted a bit over a year before completely failing and it never got as many shots on a charge.
09-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can set the camera to use either the camera battery or the grip battery first, as well as the default empty them both at the same time.

I have my camera set to use the grip battery first on the grounds that it is the easiest to pull out and recharge.
Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware that I could do that, but after your suggestion, I looked at the manual and page 198 indicated the process. I have now set it off default and set it to use the battery grip power first.

Les

09-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

How does this compare to the K20D? I've never run out of batteries on the K10D or K20D, though I haven't really timed it. If I'm in a situation where I'm going to be shooting a lot, I'll recharge the night before, and I'll put the grip on.

I was under the impression that the batteries were supposed to last for more than 1000 shots, though. Is that not the case?
09-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I get OVER 500 easy WITHOUT using the flash. It is a heckuva battery!