Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How long does your K10D's battery last ?

How many shutter releases does your K10D get out of it's battery , before it needs a recharge?

I have the battery grip, with another battery in there and when I switch on my main on/off switch at the top of the camera, it seems to automatically use the power from this battery, at the same time my reg. K10D battery is being used.

I'm not complaining, just wondering how many approx. shots do others get with just the reg. K10D battery and also if they have a battery grip ?

09-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had one, I'd say.
09-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
If I had one, I'd say.
Romania...never been there, know some people whose parents came from Romania. Seen many pictures of Romania, beautiful country with a bounty of photogenic subjects to photograph.
09-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine lasts a very long time. Several hundred shots.I only ran it dead once and that was the initial charge when I first got it. I bought my K10D on Thanksgiving weekend last year and filled up and downloaded a couple of cards. The battery indicator still showed full charge until New Year Eve while taking shots at a party and using the flash the indicator went from 1/2 charge to dead in about 5 shots. Since then I charge it every couple of weeks or so and have never run it dead. I don't keep track of shots. I know I took 350 last weekend trying to get some shots of loons playing hide and seek with my kayak. They dive under water and pop up wherever and I had to set down my paddle, pick up the camera once I found him again and shoot off a few in burst mode, the reason for so many shots. I have no complaints about this battery but will probably pick up a spare one. Actually, the reason I haven't already is because this battery lasts so long now.

09-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never actually kept close numbers, but can tell you that I charge my battery about and average of once a week, and that is with me shooting at least once per day, for 15-30 (or more) minutes each time. I would guess based on the number if shots I get per 2 gig card and how often I download, the battery lasts me an average of 500 actuations...including reviewing.

Jason
09-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Romania...never been there, know some people whose parents came from Romania. Seen many pictures of Romania, beautiful country with a bounty of photogenic subjects to photograph.

Love the landscape; hate the people.
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
How many shutter releases does your K10D get out of it's battery , before it needs a recharge?

I have the battery grip, with another battery in there and when I switch on my main on/off switch at the top of the camera, it seems to automatically use the power from this battery, at the same time my reg. K10D battery is being used.

I'm not complaining, just wondering how many approx. shots do others get with just the reg. K10D battery and also if they have a battery grip ?
You can set the camera to use either the camera battery or the grip battery first, as well as the default empty them both at the same time.

I don't use the flash much, but sometimes I use the LCD too much. I got a week out of the two batteries a bit of time ago, but I was using the LCD at a reunion way too much. I suspect that by restricting the use of the LCD to exposure verification occasionally, that I should be able to fill both my 4 Gb cards without flattening the batteries.

I have my camera set to use the grip battery first on the grounds that it is the easiest to pull out and recharge.

09-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a battery in the grip only, and the camera is set to reflect this.

I had used the camera from about 10am to 8:30pm one day...many power cycles and sleep modes...took around 400 pix. No flash.

From all I've read, 400 is a good all-round number for a battery in good shape
09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Battery charge life expectancy

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
. . . the indicator went from 1/2 charge to dead in about 5 shots . . .
This is not unusual. This has been reported here and in other forums before.

I have never kept an accurate cound, but I know that I have gotten several hundred shots, (with much chimping, but little flash) from my battery. I do not have a grip, so I can't comment on that.

I consider the battery indicator on the K10D to have two positions: Full charge and "Oh my god, where is my spare battery?".
09-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've never run the battery in my K10D completley down in a single day's shooting.

I have gone through days in the 500-600 range (all natural light) without having to change batteries.

I've also forgotten to recharge my battery and been very glad i kept a spare and get at least 500 form a full charge. It was REALLY done at about 135 exposures. My best guess is that I ahd done about 480 the day before, but that doesn't account for some lighting checks and test shots at the beginning of the day I might have deleted.

In general, if I get to rest it regularly (i.e. vacation pictures or a drawn out all day random event), with regular chimping and deletion of anything too horrible, I budget 550 per battery, and usually get more.
09-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You can set the camera to use either the camera battery or the grip battery first, as well as the default empty them both at the same time.

I don't use the flash much, but sometimes I use the LCD too much. I got a week out of the two batteries a bit of time ago, but I was using the LCD at a reunion way too much. I suspect that by restricting the use of the LCD to exposure verification occasionally, that I should be able to fill both my 4 Gb cards without flattening the batteries.

I have my camera set to use the grip battery first on the grounds that it is the easiest to pull out and recharge.
Good ideas. I will have to move my camera off default for the batteries, as I use them both and when they die, they die quick. As the other poster said they go from 1/2 full to Oh my God within a few exposures.

I wish the K10D had a battery charge indicator that was more precise than the one used now. Although I think the other manufacturers aren't much better in the indicator area. I will have to look in my manual to figure out how to do that though. I don't recall seeing the 'how to' in the manual. Maybe it's just a scroll through the menu ?
09-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When out and about taking photos, I can shoot about 500 per day. I have never had the battery run out.

The only time my battery has run out is if I have used the camera several days in a row, or left it after a few weeks without checking the battery, and begin shooting. BUT I always keep a spare fully charged.

EDIT NOTE After reading other posts, I forgot to mention one point. The battery on the K10D shows full almost all the time, when it shows 1/2 empty you have between 20 and 50 shots (less if you use any review function or flash) until it is completely dead

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-03-2008 at 03:31 AM.
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Forum Member

K10 Battery ?

I too have the battery grip on my K10 and can shoot about 2 days worth (400/500 images). I used to view the days shooting on the LCD screen then as I came to an unacceptable image I would delete it in camera. I felt that was a good process of editing. I found that to be time consuming and a large demand on the battery. (It went dead at the worst possible times) This editing and viewing may have allowed only 3-5 hrs of battery life. Now I shoot, take a quick look at the histogram on the instant review, then at the end of the day I slip my SD card into a card reader and download them into my laptop, then get rid of the trash or the stuff I just don't want after it is in the computer. This has lengthened the battery life alot.
Jeff.
09-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Love the landscape; hate the people.
Ouch! I have several Romanian friends here in the Portland/Vancouver area.

Steve
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I should have mentioned in my first reply...it didn't die that day...the battery went to half, then empty, then I took it out on Monday...

So a full day out, and the battery didn't show any signs of tiring. Here I was freaking out that I only had 2 batts!