Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10D is a nice camera but not unfortunately not perfect, especially the back focusing issues with some lenses. That's one of the reasons I got rid of it in favour of the K20D, which is soooooooo much better in a lot of ways.

09-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aye it's me, but hey warmer waters than Loch Ness, besides I don't want to be "monster bait" for anyone.

lol

Les
09-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Eh

The monetary issue was enough to not get me into a K20. I may not even bother with a K30.

Once Samsung figures out their APS sensor'd small cam I'll decide what to do. Get that and keep the K10, or jump up to the K30 or whatever's out at that time.

Otherwise, the two of us are doing just fine, thanks
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

Just bought one with a Sigma 17-70mm last week, and its my first SLR. Here are my initial thoughts:

I basically bought it for the build quality, weatherproofing, viewfinder and customization features. I knew I wasnt getting the easiest to use SLR out there but so far I've had some nice luck. I mostly shoot in green mode and aperture priority and get pretty sharp shots without a lot of tweaking. However, here are some problems so far:

White balance indoors can be totally nuts (blue or green whites) and I havent figured out how to adjsut it yet.

The AF doesnt always do what I want it to, it likes to center focus and front focus all the time. I get substantially sharper shots when I use MF and watch for the red squares to get where I want it.

A few of my shots are underexposed, certainly my fault but it would be nice to get a little more help from the camera. I've been trying to use aperture priority mode (raising the f-stop) and evaluative metering to fix this. Seems to be working sometimes but maybe I need to tweak the shutter speed as well?

All in all, seems like a great camera. I love the feel of it in my hands, the weight and ergonomics are just wonderful to me compared to everything else I've seen in its price range (a little under $1000 with the Sigma lens). My only disappointment is that the auto features dont really do my job for me, so there is going to be a learning curve to get over.

09-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I dont really even remember when I got either of mine. It has been about a year..wait more

check the exif:
i think this is the day after I got it, April 27, '07

and this is the day i actually got it:
09-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Love it as well and in 4 mths and 4500 shots Im still learning LOL

cheers
09-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #22

I've had mine for a bit over a year and I've used it very heavily in that time, well north of 20K actuations. I love it. Its ruggedness and build engenders a great deal of confidence - I've taken it to music festivals where there's been threats of rain and people are throwing beer, safe in the knowledge that it's weather(and possibly beer) proof enough to cope. I've had it in my backpack while skiing. I take it to work every day.

I'm only a 'serious amateur' but I put a fair bit of 'pressure' on the camera by taking it to movie premieres where it gets 'tested' by moving objects, variable lighting and unpredictability. It's not perfect but it does the job very well. I have confidence in it, and it repays that confidence.

I'll admit that the photos straight out of the camera aren't perhaps as immediately stunning as other cameras (or perhaps I shouldn't set such conservative settings), but its dynamic range and detail captured are easily brought out in photoshop.

I think the sensor self-cleaning is a bit over-hyped, and I can't really tell exactly how many stops shake reduction gains me but it does work. The autofocus is the one thing I'd love improved but seriously? It does a good job under most conditions.

But that's all details. Previously I had the istDS and at times I felt I had to 'blame' the camera for photos not turning out... but with the K10D that doesn't really happen, except when I really push it knowing I'm asking a lot of it!

I have no intention of upgrading at this point - the camera does everything I ask of it. If anything happened to it right now, would I buy another K10D or would I upgrade to the K20? I don't know. Depending on the price difference, I'd probably consider buying another K10D!

K10D = Kickass10/10Digitalslr
09-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I got my K10D from pentaxforumx marketplace a couple of weeks ago. And I like it with certain reservations. I'm not much of an story teller so I'll sum it up in pros and cons:

+viewfinder When I got K100D Super the thing I disliked most was small viewfinder with more flare and worse overall clarity compared to *Ist DS. K10D's viewfinder is even better than DS's.

+ergonomic bigger body is somewhat easier to operate. Rubber noticeably adds to better, more secure grip.

+more buttons more control buttons that "feel" better. Accidental turning the wheels by two notches happens less frequently. Also once you get a hold of button layout you set up camera faster.

-weight darn this thing is heavy. 795g with batteries (DS=605g). I'm still not sure should I take it on expeditions where 200g makes a difference (think of it as 200g less food in your backpack on the mountain top or at the bottom of a cave)

-more buttons means also more chance to accidentally pressing a button especially when wearing gloves.

-proprietary batteries don't seem to last that long and it's impossible to replace them in remote locations should you lost or forget to charge it. I like AAs better.

09-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #24

I've had my K10D about 2 months moving to it from a P&S Canon. What I like most is how it is teaching me photography again. The placement of the bottons is perfect for me and its menus intuitive. If I am situationally photographically impaired the green P&S backs up my brain. I've found some older manual lenses for not so much money and they've added to the learning experience. At least I can see my photos getting better week by week.
Great camera.
09-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
-more buttons means also more chance to accidentally pressing a button especially when wearing gloves.

-proprietary batteries don't seem to last that long and it's impossible to replace them in remote locations should you lost or forget to charge it. I like AAs better.
I'd have to disagree with you on the first point. I really do love the extra buttons and dials.

Then again, I have small hands and gloves don't bother me all that much anyway.

I agree with you on the battery issue. It's really sad Pentax did not offer a AA adapter (not sure if there is one for the battery grip).
09-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm still using my K10d and here's what I've come up with for the 1.75 years I've had it, comparing to my old *ist DS2:

1) Ergonomics are good, but I preferred the cut-away type grip of my *ist DS2 and my MZ-S. The size of the camera itself doesn't bug me - even with the BG-2 grip attached. The grip just seems to have a lower profile than I'd prefer.

2) Auto-focus is a mixed bag. It's way faster than my DS2 ever was BUT my DS2 was more accurate overall (for photographing birds using AF-C).

I seem to be pretty lucky as far as the FF/BF stuff goes. Generally speaking the K10d hits the mark. It's just a bit more jumpy/lively than the DS2.

3) The increase from 6 to 10 mps was worth it for being able to crop or get fine detail in feathers/landscapes. The down-side to this is the increase in noise. I try to avoide anything over ISO 400 and would prefer using a tripod and ISO 100 over hand-holding and shooting at ISO 200 if at all possible.

4) Weather sealing is a wonderful peace of mind and it works. I've been able to shoot in rain/blizzards. I've had ice form on the focus-ring of my 16-50 and the camera/lens have taken the abuse and held up remarkably well. I'd be hard-pressed to justify going back to an un-sealed system, no matter what.

5) Overall performance is slow, but when I moved up from the DS2 to the k10d, the performance was an improvement overall in terms of speed. That said, it's the one area I'm looking for things to improve before I consider a new camera body.

As has been mentioned, the k10d isn't perfect. That said, I have to say that in spite of the areas I'd like to see improved, it's a tough, capable camera that was worth every cent of the inflated price of buying it when it first came out.
09-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Just bought one with a Sigma 17-70mm last week, and its my first SLR. Here are my initial thoughts:

I basically bought it for the build quality, weatherproofing, viewfinder and customization features. I knew I wasnt getting the easiest to use SLR out there but so far I've had some nice luck. I mostly shoot in green mode and aperture priority and get pretty sharp shots without a lot of tweaking. However, here are some problems so far:

White balance indoors can be totally nuts (blue or green whites) and I havent figured out how to adjsut it yet.
Indoors, you need to set the white balance. Pentax designed the WB to keep sunsets red, and this affects the indoor lighting as well. Fluorescent lights are a pain. If you want to see the image adjusted as your eyes see it, do this:
  • Press [Fn]
  • For incandescent lighting, select [Tungsten]
  • For fluorescent lighting, you need to do more;
  • Try each of the three choices to see which is closest.
  • With fluorescent lights, there is no point in shooting jpeg - switch to RAW even if you prefer jpegs for normal shooting. The white balance will never be correct without a whole bunch of twiddling the white balance in the menus. If is much easier to just fix them all afterward.
Personally, I shoot AWB at all times, and shoot only RAW. I never worry about it.
QuoteQuote:
The AF doesnt always do what I want it to, it likes to center focus and front focus all the time. I get substantially sharper shots when I use MF and watch for the red squares to get where I want it.
I got tired of the camera second guessing what I wanted in focus, and set the focus point to centre only.
QuoteQuote:
A few of my shots are underexposed, certainly my fault but it would be nice to get a little more help from the camera. I've been trying to use aperture priority mode (raising the f-stop) and evaluative metering to fix this. Seems to be working sometimes but maybe I need to tweak the shutter speed as well?
I like the defaults on my k10d, but others seem to like to set a bit of exposure compensation in the range of + 0.5-0.7-1.0 stops. Again, shooting RAW, I like the way my k10d holds the highlights without blowing them out
QuoteQuote:

All in all, seems like a great camera. I love the feel of it in my hands, the weight and ergonomics are just wonderful to me compared to everything else I've seen in its price range (a little under $1000 with the Sigma lens). My only disappointment is that the auto features dont really do my job for me, so there is going to be a learning curve to get over.
These forums are a great way to learn how to use your really great camera. I've had mine since last November, and am still learning little things on here. The one I learned this week was to use the edials to navigate the menu pages. I was using the four-way controller and going down, down, down, to get to the third page of a menu. Duh.

I love the camera. Almost all of my controls are on the outside of the camera, not hidden away on the fifth page of the third menu. It takes great images when I tell it the correct things to do.
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I like both of mine, but I should have spent the extra 500$ on a K20D instead of the extra K10D. I want the focus adjustment thing the K20D have. Now I think both the K10D and K20D are too big, only have small prime lenses. My newly arrived ZX-5 is small and light, I want a smaller and lighter body with the same quality as the K10D.
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #29
Forum Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Albert. I do look forward to learning how to make the K10D sing. I don't mind learning how and as I said, most of the time it takes pretty sharp photos just using the basic changes I know how to make. I do shoot in RAW most of the time (so youre right, I can fix the WB later if I want) but I'm afraid of unloading a 4GB SD onto my five year old USB-1 laptop. I guess its time to go buy a new computer for my new camera (such is electronics).
09-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Albert. I do look forward to learning how to make the K10D sing. I don't mind learning how and as I said, most of the time it takes pretty sharp photos just using the basic changes I know how to make. I do shoot in RAW most of the time (so youre right, I can fix the WB later if I want) but I'm afraid of unloading a 4GB SD onto my five year old USB-1 laptop. I guess its time to go buy a new computer for my new camera (such is electronics).
Computers and electronics are always obsolete. Isn't that the truth? I just sprang for a LaCie 500Gb desktop USB drive. I got tired to moving images off my laptop and bringing them back. Now all I need to do is load the images on the LaCie using Lightroom. I don't need it connected to see them, the LR previews are always there. I only need to connect to do something with them.