Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YES, I LOVE MINE TOO !!!! I also have a K1000, the legacy of trainig SLRs back in the good 'ol film days. I am not a pro but an advanced amatuer since '96. It is sooo coool that my old Pentax lenses work on my new K10D!!!!

09-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #32
Forum Member

After going to shop to buy a used af360 flash, got given a great deal on a used k10d, so I upgraded... talk about adding value to sales!
In comparison to my k100d, the k10 seems more solid, faster in almost every way, and as a constant glasses wearer, the larger viewfinder is a revalation.
We'll see how I feel about the k10 as I use it, but given that I love it already, I fear I might get too attached to it!

I used to have a KM7D which had a similar heft and build, with outstanding manual controls, but had to sell it due to university finance woes...
Bought the k100d, which is a lovely camera, but felt a bit like a step down.
The k10d however, feels just about right
09-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my K10. It fits my hands great and just feels right. The weight with the batt grip makes it feel like a well built camera, and I think it has nice balance to it. This was my 1st DSLR and was a bit intimidated by it at first, but after spending some time and taking a few thousand photos, I have come to understand most of the camera functions. As a novice, I take some poor images (always due to operator error), But on the other hand, when I shoot something I'm proud of it makes me feel good about my hobby.
I like my K10 so much, that today I ordered a K20. Now I just need to figure out how to shoot with both hands.
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I shot with a P/S for some time as a serious armature (still am a serious armature) the last being a Kodak P880, a bridge camera a cross between a dSLR and P/S; just did not have the interchangeable lens. I loved that camera and its wide angle lens. I researched a lot for months on my next camera I really did not want to leave the Kodak group, but my research led me to either the A100 or E510 with the A100 my fav. I liked the Pentax becuase it was weather proof, but read of the soft jpegs and combined with a price $150 higher than the others... I was set on the A100. But I read where you should go hold them and try them out, that's the most important thing in picking a body so I tried the E510 it felt like my Kodak P880, no problem but nothing special, I held the A100 liked it a bit better because it was bigger and seemed stronger and nicer looking, tried the GX10 one day and could not believe the difference, night and day, toy versus real semi-pro camera, but it was still priced a bit high. A couple months go by and my camera shop went out of business and had a huge sale for some weeks, and after a few week I picked up the Samsung GX10 with kit lens and an extended 3 year warranty (4 years total) a $150 value that includes a full tune up and cleaning after the first year for $550 body, lens, 3 year extended warranty. I thought it was going to be $650 but know one in my area wanted the GX10 they sold out of the Pentax K10s (at my local shop) for $750 (body only), and the GX10 just sat thier, but I made up my mind to get it. I did not know the store lowered the price to $550 on the Samsung GX10 because it still sat there on-sold at $650 even though people bought the Pentax K10 for $750. So the day I came in to buy it, it was marked down to $550. The sales man saw me walk in the door and he smiled and reached back and got the GX10 and said this is your lucky day, your going to be real happy (he knew I wanted it).

I love this camera, I am still after about 7 months learning new things that it can do, it has its weak areas and things I wished would be better like AF, but overall its great with its very tough build and perfect feel in my hand and very high IQ when I shoot RAW. The IQ with RAW is un-real to me. I have the kit, DA 55-300mm, Sigma 17-70mm, and a Sear 50mm 1:1.7 full manual lens (the Sears is great) I have everything I need to cover 25.5-450mm with high quality and a fast prime for low light.

To this day I go hold and look at the under $1000 cameras and they all feel like cheap cameras that are light and no where near the quality of the K10, none not the Nikons, Canons, Sonys, Olys none have that serious go anywhere without fear build of the Pentax/Samsung 10/20 cameras. I really would not want anything out today, even all the new models over my GX10, under the $1100 price range.

This camera feels like it will last a long time and with that warranty I can not justify buying a K20. Before the first year is up I will send it in to get cleaned and tuned, it has a tiny crack in the back bottom corner common to both the K10 and GX10 very norma (for this camera) and should be covered under warranty (I did not drop it), so I will send it in, in the next few months and get it refreshed back to new; tuned (I will request AF check), cleaned, and probably all my lens adjusted with it FREE. Then after that I still have 3 years of warranty and can send it in again in a year or two and get another tune-up and cleaning FREE; and then I still have a couple years warranty left if the shutter or something else goes wrong. That makes it very difficult for me to get rid of it. Plus I just plain love the camera and all its features awesome image quality, Pentax made a super lens in the DA55-300mm that punches with some big boys, I can use $10 primes from eBay that are sharp, fast and have the benefit of SR. Overall I got a lot for my money.

The worse of my stuff is the Sigma 17-70mm, I have had to send it in two times to get it perfect, but Sigma service is excellent and fast, the lens is great when in focus, it just seems third party lens dont get along as well as the Pentax lens, in that I mean with my Kit or DA55-300mm I have no AF problems with the Sigma I do sometimes, in brush and tree type scenes it does not want to focus sometimes and can frustrate me. To better explain, it looks like I am in focus and the camera beeps and confirms I am in focus, it looks like it on the LCD after I shoot and check it, but when I get home and look at them on my monitor some can be OOF. Thats why I was hopping the new DA 17-70mm would be a Sigma killer, it ain't, not so far, so I will stick with the Sigma 17-70mm and send it in when I send in the body to get calibrated with the camera or whatever Samsung can do, just hope Samsung service in the USA is good and they know thier stuff.

Super camera and a real legend the K10, when it came out it gave consumers a real semi-pro body, so people like me who could not afford a $2000 semi-pro body but would love to have one, now could get one with the very solid build, weather resistants, high IQ, everything the semi-pros had I could at a budget price, it really was the best dSLR under $1000 IMO and by far.

09-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my K10D, it is a tool that I can trust for IQ and offers so many features unmatched by other brands in the same class yet at reasonably low price point.

I will likely get a K20D for additional features with better sensor when it is closer to end of production and I am not really interested in getting any other brands or FF model at least not now or near future.
09-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

I've had mine for just over a year and I love it. I think I've cured my LBA finally. (Who am I kidding it's as strong as ever) I probably will wait till the next iteration to buy another body though.