Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

I love my K10D....what do you think of yours ?

I've had mine since Nov./07. Didn't use it much till July/08, due to the pressures of work, etc.

Have used it heavily in July and August. Primarily take pictures of hot rods, custom cars and restored classic cars, using my 16-45 Pentax Zoom and pictures of wildlife, such as Pelicans and other birds with my 55-300 Pentax zoom.

I love the versatility of the 16-45 and the angles I can get of 'rods'.

I've had Pentax SLR's since 1968 (S1a), got a ES11 in '74 and a K1000 (wife's) early '80's. Also have medium format and a Leica rangefinder (film).

Also have one other digital, a Panasonic Lumix that I bought, largely because of the Leica lens. I'm a Leica fan.

I find that this K10D has been a revelation to me and really charged up my enthusiasm for photography. I am happy with the pictures, the colour saturation, resolution and excellent sharpness. The build of the camera seems very robust.
I have the battery grip which although makes the K10D heavier, makes the camera fit my big mitts much better, than without the grip. I don't notice the extra weight as I'm a big guy to begin with.

So far, in my 40 years of taking pictures as a hobby and some years professionally (don't consider myself a pro, at all) when I worked in the publishing industry....I have to say, I'm very happy with this camera and all the Pentax accessories I have bought for it.

It does all I want and I find it has more potential than I'm capable of using. But I plan to expand my knowledge with this baby.

So....fellow K10D users....are you as happy as I am with the K10D?

09-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

If it could scratch my back I'd marry it......

I bought my K10 shortly after it's release, I was competing with my Dad to see who would get one first. He about killed me when I mailed him a picture of my new lens (Tamron 28-200) mounted on my new K10D, his didn't arrive for another 2 weeks.

I also find the build of the K10 to be outstanding, my first DSLR was the *iSTD, which I still have. The in body shake reduction was a real selling point for me, as I like to hand hold most of the time so the extra stabilization it provides has increased the number of keepers I get when I go out. The battery life with the grip is great, and the ability to tell the K10 which battery to use first is really a plus, I set it to use the grip battery before the body. While the grip does add to the overall weight it doesn't bother me when I'm out all day carrying it around, though I do pay attention to where I walk to avoid bouncing my lens off something.

I've acquired the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 135-400 4.5/5.6, the Pentax 50 f1.4, and the Pentax 50-135 f2.8 (possibly the best lens ever) and the kit lens. With these I can cover almost everything I want to shoot, but I'm really wanting a 10-17.

It's going to take more than the extra megapixels of the K20 to get me to buy anything but another K10.

Shawn
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote

It's going to take more than the extra megapixels of the K20 to get me to buy anything but another K10.
the key thing is to sell when price is right, people who purchased K10D for ~$500 ($600 - $100 rebate) were able (and may be still are) to sell it for the same ~$500... so why keep it ? w/ guarantee over and no further ROM updates (think AF adjustments)... K20D is not worth twice K10D, but
if you can upgrade for just $100-$200 (after selling your K10D) - it makes sense to upgrade... that was the amount I paid for some minor improvements K20D brings along w/ having the camera under warrany again
09-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love your K10D too! Can I have it?

09-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I love your K10D too! Can I have it?
I'll think about it.....maybe in about 5 years . lol
09-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I love mine too! After a year or so with it, it still provides me with the best quality photos from any camera I have ever owned and I have no desire to trade it in for anything anytime soon. When the K10D was released, it was constantly receiving rave reviews and awards for it's quality and value...has anything really changed in the last 2 years about this camera? No...it is still an incredible camera and considering what I paid for it new last year, I cant say I am chomping at the bit to replace it or upgrade just yet...or jump ship just for the sake of feeling the "need" to have the latest, greatest release in the past few months/weeks.

Like I said in another post, unless Pentax releases something simply spectacular in the next 12 months, I cant see the need to ever look elsewhere or get to worried about what does or what does not happen at Photokina.

Jason
09-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #7

Bought mine in spring of 08, after sitting on the sidelines patiently waiting for Pentax to come out with a DSLR with a decent FPS rate for sports pic's. Almost went with Canon 30D for the 5FPS when they dropped in price, but since I have a lot of pentax lenses and own a variety of SLR's from Spotmatics to MZ7, when the K10D dropped to the $600 range I finally jumped in.

Very nice camera, I have used an early *ist DS (our work camera) quite a bit before and the K10D is a nicer unit, no doubt. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, I try not to shoot in green mode, preferring shutter priority, and I notice some blurred shots from fairly fast shutter speeds (1/40, 1/60) so I don't know whats up with that. Up until now I have been using the kit lense from one of my MZ cameras and an old manual Chinon 80-200 though, just picked up the Pentax 18-250 this weekend as a main lens so we'll see how that is.

All in all, though, glad I bought the camera and next step is to get a good fixed focal length lens and also a screw mount adaptor to try some of my older FFL super takumar lenses on it.

09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #8

LOVE my k10, ok I have the Samsung but it's the same thing. I am normally a huge victim of upgraditis but not with this camera so far. The one thing I will be adding is a compact point and shoot for when I don't want to lug the big boy around. I'm leaning towards the new panasonic lx3 for that.

n
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixter Quote
LOVE my k10, ok I have the Samsung but it's the same thing. I am normally a huge victim of upgraditis but not with this camera so far. The one thing I will be adding is a compact point and shoot for when I don't want to lug the big boy around. I'm leaning towards the new panasonic lx3 for that.

n
As my second digital, I have a compact Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. It's a nice supplement to the K10D.

I almost left Pentax before the K10D came out. I seriously considered a Canon D30, a Nikon D80. I was impressed with the quality and solidity of the 30D, didn't like the feel of the Nikon D80. Both are fine cameras.

I also looked at the Nikon D200, but it was uber pricey . Very nice camera. I felt the Nikon D80 felt too plasticky, but felt the Nikon D200 was much better quality than the D80. No surprise there, Nikon does too.

In the end, I'm glad I went with the K10D. So far it's been tremendous.
09-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Mine does what it says on the tin just see my sig for the full story.
09-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #11

I quite fancy it but it's not love.....

A great camera. I've had mine for about 18months.

Love the way it handles
09-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Mine does what it says on the tin just see my sig for the full story.
That wouldn't be a picture of you in your deep sea diving outfit checking out the floor of Loch Ness, would it ?

My wife's family (Grandfather) was from the Loch Ness area.
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That wouldn't be a picture of you in your deep sea diving outfit checking out the floor of Loch Ness, would it ?

My wife's family (Grandfather) was from the Loch Ness area.
Aye it's me, but hey warmer waters than Loch Ness, besides I don't want to be "monster bait" for anyone.
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #14

Unfortunatly I bought mine when it was still over $1000 so even if I sell it for $500 then I'm losing money. I still have my *iSTD and shoot with it, and won't part with that one either (come to think of it I still have every camera I've ever bought). I may eventually upgrade when my K10 no longer provides me with the image quality and enjoyment that I currently get from it.

Shawn
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've had mine since February and I'm liking it, although I'm thinking about upgrading sometime next year after PMA (early March). Depending on what the K30 is like, it'll be between it and the K20. If nothing else, I'll be able to score a great deal on the K20. I'm also curious to see what happens at Photokina, as I'm hoping that Pentax will introduce a smaller lighter body that'll do most of the stuff that the K10 will do. If I were to get something like this, it would be a second body, not a replacement for the K10.

In the meantime, I'll be saving the money and fattening up my rather skinny savings account, so when it does come time to make a decision, I'll be ready to buy.

I hope the buying activity in the marketplace picks up by next spring, so I won't have to put my K10 on Fleabay should I decide to sell it.

Heather