Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It is better, specifically when the distance between you and your subject changes rapidly. The core hardware and speed remains unchanged, but if you find yourself shooting nearby wildlife, then the K-3 II's enhancements (also found in the KP and later models) will improve your keeper rate.
I have both the K-3 and the K-3II. Even though I use the K-3II for most things nowadays, I have to admit that in my experience, it's the other way around. My cameras perform about equally well with distant birds, but when I go out for close-by erratic birds (snipes and the likes) I pretty much have to bring my old K-3, or else everything becomes a mess.

02-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I decided to go with the k3 ii and bought a used one off the board. I also found the 1.4 tc on the board and ordered that. I was able to get the DA 300 in like new condition also. I’m looking forward to trying it all out.
02-24-2018, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I decided to go with the k3 ii and bought a used one off the board. I also found the 1.4 tc on the board and ordered that. I was able to get the DA 300 in like new condition also. I’m looking forward to trying it all out.
Congrats, please let us know how it goes. I don’t think you will be disappointed.
02-25-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck and happy shooting!!

02-27-2018, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

I use a K-3 for mainly wildlife here in Florida also. I've been looking for a successor to that camera recently but it doesn't look like we will get it any time soon. You mentioned using Sony cameras. I bumped into a guy using both Nikon and Sony and he told me he gave the edge to Sony since they have their new 100-400mm. I would give the edge to Nikon for wildlife in the absence of direct sunlight. He started quoting prices for his Sony cameras like the A9 and I think to myself "I'm sure they are great performers but you pay for the great performance."

Andrew Richardson | Flickr
02-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I got my K3 II in the mail today. I'm still waiting on my lens, but I'm impressed so far. I usually don't like the ergonomics on small DSLR's, but the K3 II has a great grip. I feel like I can hold substantial weight with one hand without any issues because of the design. The menu system is also very intuitive and I was able to setup most of my settings in like 5 minutes and I've never used a Pentax digital camera before. I also really like the build quality. Truly excellent.
02-27-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my K3 II in the mail today. I'm still waiting on my lens, but I'm impressed so far. I usually don't like the ergonomics on small DSLR's, but the K3 II has a great grip. I feel like I can hold substantial weight with one hand without any issues because of the design. The menu system is also very intuitive and I was able to setup most of my settings in like 5 minutes and I've never used a Pentax digital camera before. I also really like the build quality. Truly excellent.
I'm sure you will enjoy the camera!
... and K3 or K3II are not only suitable for BIF but also AIF (athlets in flight)

02-27-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

This is a shot I took with my K-3 II. It is a crop.