Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I was referring to the Silky Pix software that came with my K3II. I have downloaded rawtherapee as suggested and will give it a try. Has anyone developed a step by step suggested processing of a Pixel Shift image using Rawtherapee? Would save a lot of time experimenting. Thanks for all of your replies to my post.
That is what I thought. The software that comes with the camera works for basic raw file conversion but is not a full featured program like Silky Pix Developer Studio which does an excellent job with files and is a commercial program. The camera software, which is called Digital Camera Utility, is not Silky Pix. It uses a small part of the development engine of the commercial software. People often call it Silky Pix which is a shame since that tends to give q bad name to the full featured Silky Pix. The suggestion to use RawTherapee is a good one although it is a complex program to lean. It works well and is free.

02-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That is what I thought. The software that comes with the camera works for basic raw file conversion but is not a full featured program like Silky Pix Developer Studio which does an excellent job with files and is a commercial program. The camera software, which is called Digital Camera Utility, is not Silky Pix. It uses a small part of the development engine of the commercial software. People often call it Silky Pix which is a shame since that tends to give q bad name to the full featured Silky Pix. The suggestion to use RawTherapee is a good one although it is a complex program to lean. It works well and is free.
Some of the Pentax bodies, I believe the K-30, K-50 and the K-01, shipped with SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 LE (for PENTAX) (ex PENTAX:current Ricoh imaging) and not DCU. (From Silkypix upgrade page. see bundled versions on the bottom.).

https://shop.isl.co.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=352&lang=en#a06
02-26-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Squirrel Mafia's Raw Therapee thread has the most information in it about using the program on the Forums. He has several presets somewhere in there as well, that are usable for pixel shift. That's probably the big thing is to have a fairly neutral preset and then use it to develop photos.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...lence-win.html
06-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Just a note on workflows involving a TIFF export: you'll loose all the dynamic range of your camera doing so.
You can avoid that using RAW Therapee to do all your processing before the TIFF export, but I find that RT isn't great at all at recuperating shadows / highlights compared to Camera RAW so in the end, it's not really better.

I'd love to find a way to extract one of the four pictures as a DNG (not as a TIFF) from a PS file. That would allow to process the PS DNG and that extracted non-PS DNG in ACR with the same settings, and then manually replace the areas with artefacts from the PS DNG with data from the non-PS DNG. Didn't find a way to do the extraction for now, so I'm using PS only in situation with low contrast (no shadows / highlights recuperation needed, or not much), or no movement at all. That means very few situations.

06-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
Just a note on workflows involving a TIFF export: you'll loose all the dynamic range of your camera doing so.
You can avoid that using RAW Therapee to do all your processing before the TIFF export, but I find that RT isn't great at all at recuperating shadows / highlights compared to Camera RAW so in the end, it's not really better.

I'd love to find a way to extract one of the four pictures as a DNG (not as a TIFF) from a PS file. That would allow to process the PS DNG and that extracted non-PS DNG in ACR with the same settings, and then manually replace the areas with artefacts from the PS DNG with data from the non-PS DNG. Didn't find a way to do the extraction for now, so I'm using PS only in situation with low contrast (no shadows / highlights recuperation needed, or not much), or no movement at all. That means very few situations.
I think you have misunderstood quite a few things. You don't loose dynamic range if you export to a 16 bit tiff and avoid any dynamic range altering tools. So a neutral profile 16 bit tiff export contains all data .

Exporting a single file dng from a ps dng doesn't make sense as you would have to mosaic the image again loosing the advantage of pixelshift.

I'm also curious about you highlight recovery issues because I find RT highlight recovery excellent. You need to tick the "highlight recovery" checkbox and select "color propagation" in the exposure module for best results. With extreme recovery this might break and require additional work but it's pretty darn good as is.
06-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I think you have misunderstood quite a few things. You don't loose dynamic range if you export to a 16 bit tiff and avoid any dynamic range altering tools. So a neutral profile 16 bit tiff export contains all data .
You might want to read one of these:
RAW to TIFF or PSD 16bit loses color depth - Photography Stack Exchange
Are You Wasting Dynamic Range? | Blogarithms

Or just do your own tests (open a dng in ACR, export it as a tif, then apply same settings to the dng & the tif, and finally export both in jpeg). Difference is subtle but there's a loss.

Exporting a single file dng from a ps dng doesn't make sense as you would have to mosaic the image again loosing the advantage of pixelshift.
I'd like to do that to use that extracted DNG to use it only on parts with movements in a PS image.

I'm also curious about you highlight recovery issues because I find RT highlight recovery excellent. You need to tick the "highlight recovery" checkbox and select "color propagation" in the exposure module for best results. With extreme recovery this might break and require additional work but it's pretty darn good as is.
Maybe I'm not using RT correctly. Still, playing with the settings you talk about lead to terrible results for me.

See the following test:

Picture #1:
- opened the PS DNG in ACR
- fixed white balance
- fixed chromatic aberrations
- bumped shadows and highlights to their maximum (goal is not to get a nice picture but to illustrate the discussion)

Picture #2:
- opened the PS DNG in ACR
- exported to TIFF (with no processing)
- open the TIFF in ACR
- do the exact same processing as for picture #1

Picture #3:
- opened the PS DNG in RT
- ensured that "Highlights reconstruction" is checked (was the case)
- selected "Color propagation" as the blend method (saw no change)
- played with "Highlight compression" until the result of the image

You can download the DNG from here (170MB) if you want to play with it.

Last edited by timautin; 06-19-2018 at 05:33 PM.
08-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #22
pxt

I'm waiting support for it in Affinity Photo. Now it is only support PEF without Pixel Shift.