Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software Support for Pixel Shift

Just wondering if either On 1 or Adobe Software supports Pixel Shift images as yet? I find Silky Pix to be very unfriendly and buggy

02-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Just wondering if either On 1 or Adobe Software supports Pixel Shift images as yet? I find Silky Pix to be very unfriendly and buggy
Do you mean the real Silky Pix or the Pentax bundled software (DCU)? The are not the same. ON1 does not and Adobe has weak support. Most people like Raw Therapy..
02-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
may be look into Rawtherapee; available for both Mac and Windows, and free.
02-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I gather you mean the software bundled with the camera, and not the Silkypix Developer Studio pro 7.0.4 version that supports pixel shift resolution images from k-1.

02-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw T!!

Also very friendly to Pentax HDR shots. Export as 16 bit TIFF to your favorite software.
02-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rawtherapee has what I believe is the best support for pixel shift images.
02-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

+1 to Raw Therapee

+2 that its free

Quite a bit of re-learning, but if you stick to the basic controls, its not too hard to learn.

02-26-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
naward001

I'm confused, I've been developing Pixel Shift images from my K-1 through Adobe Camera Raw pretty much since I got it, what am I missing?

I know that there is some support because I have tested PS/non-PS images of the same scene in the software to see the differences and there is a very clear advantage to the PS files.
02-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

I wonder how long it will take for Rawtherapee to support dynamic pixel shift?
02-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by naward001 Quote
I'm confused, I've been developing Pixel Shift images from my K-1 through Adobe Camera Raw pretty much since I got it, what am I missing?

I know that there is some support because I have tested PS/non-PS images of the same scene in the software to see the differences and there is a very clear advantage to the PS files.
Adobe does support pixel shift, but not to the extent rawtherapee does. There are others more versed on its capabilities than I am, but I know you have control to adjust each image before combining.
02-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do you mean the real Silky Pix or the Pentax bundled software (DCU)? The are not the same. ON1 does not and Adobe has weak support. Most people like Raw Therapy..
I was referring to the Silky Pix software that came with my K3II. I have downloaded rawtherapee as suggested and will give it a try. Has anyone developed a step by step suggested processing of a Pixel Shift image using Rawtherapee? Would save a lot of time experimenting. Thanks for all of your replies to my post.
02-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by naward001 Quote

As far as I know Adobe can't handle movements in the picture, so as long as everything in the picture is static it will be fine.
But if anything moves you will end up with artifacts. To mask out movements Rawtherapee is the best package around. Again, AFAIK.
02-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I wonder how long it will take for Rawtherapee to support dynamic pixel shift?
That will depend on how helpful the early adopters of the K-1 ii are. RT relies on helpful users willing to supply files and participate in discussions.
02-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
As far as I know Adobe can't handle movements in the picture, so as long as everything in the picture is static it will be fine.
But if anything moves you will end up with artifacts. To mask out movements Rawtherapee is the best package around. Again, AFAIK.
Gotcha, I'm mostly shooting scenes without motion. When I suspect that there will be motion in an image I make sure to shoot a non-PS image for backup and as a source for unaffected pixels. Although, when I've found artifacts in my PS images so far, I've very easily been able to clone them away from information elsewhere in the file; this of course is made easier because of the subjects that I tend to work with.

My point being, I've never felt that I was limited by developing my PS images through ACR. I do tend to do the bulk of my processing in Photoshop though, so I understand that other workflows may benefit from the additional controls offered by different software.
02-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, Lightroom and ACR will process RAW pixel shifted images, but any place there is even a tiny amount of movement in the image, they will produce artifacts. If you wish to have motion correction in the image the top options are the Digital Camera Utility (DCU) that is put out with Pentax cameras and Raw Therapee, which is free and downloadable from the interwebs.

I use pixel shift quite a bit and my typical process is to run my DNGs through Raw Therapee to generate a TIFF file that I then finish processing in Lightroom.

This is a crocus shot with pixel shift. There wasn't very much movement as it was a still day, but there was just a little bit of artifact that I could see along the edges and using Raw Therapee took care of that. Processing it directly in Lightroom would have magnified those artifacts.