Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I am disappointed that K-3ii was officially discontinued.
Curious as to why you are disappointed? All things go eventually. Although the K1000 was in production for 21 years

Anyway, there are many K-3IIs on the market used and if a replacement is announced that number will swell. And certainly there are plenty of new stock as far as I can see.

02-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KP seems like the best option given your requirements.
It is going to have the best IQ, AF, high ISO of the options you are considering.
The tilt screen is very useful for landscape and street and don't forget the 5-axis IBIS.
Dynamic range for landscapes seems to be better than K-3ii and is very close to K-5iis from what I've seen.
02-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The K-3II will definitely show you a more advanced performance than the K-5. The K-5 was a great flagship model for its time, and so is the K-3II.
02-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I have recently bought a K3, as my K5 has a scratch on the sensor. I preferred the K3 over the K3II because of the internal flash. GPS can be done by my cellphone. There is sync Software available that writes the gps data to the exif files.

AF is quite a lot better. IQ similar.

With the K5 I had problems with AF with artificial light. With worm light pictures in museums were frequently out of focus.

K3 seems to be much better in this (have not had much occasion to try, but judging from some test shot, it works).

And K3 focusses quicker in general.

Cheers - Klaus

02-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still own my K-5 (a fine camera) but later bought a K-5 IIs, which showed improvement for me in a number of aspects, including AF. I bought both as outgoing models at very low price. Now I rarely use my K-5, after getting the K-5 IIs. I should sell it.

More recently, I have bought the KP. I got the silver version, and it is a beauty. It really delivers performance! AF is yet more improved, resolution is great, and definitely low-light performance is superior. It has a unique control set to get used to, but it is a well-designed camera with a very fine build quality. It can be compact for trekking and street shooting, or can be expanded with a change of grips or even more with its optional battery grip. I got a good deal from B&H and bought a silver DA 20-40mm Limited also. Both silver and black lenses look great on the camera.

---------- Post added 02-26-18 at 03:38 PM ----------

I just looked and B&H is running a special this month on the KP at $200 off plus a free DA 50mm f/1.8 lens! They are also running a $100 off the DA 20-40mm LTD silver version lens.
03-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious as to why you are disappointed?
I'm 99% sure that I'm getting a K-3ii by the end of this year, and was thinking that new ones will probably be gone. If they are, I'll pick up a used one. You're right that there should be more in the market place by that time.
05-06-2018, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Original poster here. I decided to get a used K-3ii -- it's on its way to me now. After a bit more thought, I decided it makes sense to get this camera now at a lower cost because in a few years, I'll probably be moving to a mirrorless camera system and that will take a large outlay of cash -- why buy a new camera at a premium price only to sell it again in a few years? I'm sure I'll like the K-3ii - after all, I've been happy with my K-5 for 7 years. I'm definitely not an "early adopter."

But having said that, I'm sure I would have gone with the latest version if it were available. Pentax is assuming their consumers have a lot of patience to discontinue the K-3ii without its replacement.

I could have gotten a used K-3 for a good amount less, but I like some of the features added for the 3ii and I just about never use a flash so I won't miss it.

Wish me luck! I'm looking forward to giving my new-to-me camera a good workout to see what it can do.

05-06-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have shot quite a bit with the K-5, and then the K-5 IIs, with its improved AF and also better image detail because of eliminating the AA filter. I still have and use my K-5 IIs, but last year, since acquiring the KP, which I love, I find its low-light, high ISO performance is even well above that of either the K-3 or K-5 series! Its image quality is top-notch, even better than my K-5 IIs, and metering is excellent. Its AF is faster and more sure. I think it makes a very fine compact 2nd body to my K-5 IIs, but since I've been using it most often since getting it, I really can't figure out which is the 1st, and which is the 2nd! Enjoy your new K-3 II, as you will find it to offer improvements over your old K-5.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-06-2018 at 12:54 PM.
05-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Original poster here. I decided to get a used K-3ii -- it's on its way to me now. After a bit more thought, I decided it makes sense to get this camera now at a lower cost because in a few years, I'll probably be moving to a mirrorless camera system and that will take a large outlay of cash -- why buy a new camera at a premium price only to sell it again in a few years? I'm sure I'll like the K-3ii - after all, I've been happy with my K-5 for 7 years. I'm definitely not an "early adopter."

But having said that, I'm sure I would have gone with the latest version if it were available. Pentax is assuming their consumers have a lot of patience to discontinue the K-3ii without its replacement.

I could have gotten a used K-3 for a good amount less, but I like some of the features added for the 3ii and I just about never use a flash so I won't miss it.

Wish me luck! I'm looking forward to giving my new-to-me camera a good workout to see what it can do.

The K-3 II is a good choice. Like I said, I have one. It is an excellent camera. Happy shooting!
05-07-2018, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved from a Pentax *ist DL to a K 5 II to my current set up of the K 3 and K 3 II

I think the OP has made the right move and hope to see some photos posted
05-10-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a smart move.

The K3 II really is a great camera. When I was looking to get into wildlife photography again it was much cheaper to pick up an entire Pentax system then it would have been to add just the Sony 100-400 and I would have probably had to add the TC as well to get enough "reach" since it would be paired with a full-frame camera. I have been happy with my decision for my specific needs.

I'm a mirrorless fan and will likely transition back to solely using Sony in the long run, but I'm happy for now.
05-10-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original poster here. I decided to get a used K-3ii -- it's on its way to me now.
Great choice - you're going to love it. The K-3II is very full-featured, but more importantly it has superb image quality, and it's every inch a professional-quality camera. Congratulations
05-11-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had a K-5 since they were introduced in 2010 (I'm on my 2nd K-5 body after my first stopped working properly). I've been holding off buying a new camera because I was happy with my K-5 and didn't think the upgrades warranted getting a new camera. I had decided, however, that when an update to the K-3 II came out, I would buy one... but... when might that be? From what I've read, it might not even happen. My K-5 has a 26,500 shutter count.

So... should I buy a used K3 II? A K-70? KP?

I mostly shoot wildlife, street scenes and landscapes and low light capability is important. I would love a camera with better AF. Is the K-3 II significantly better than the K-5 in focusing?

I know I would be giving up some battery life which concerns me because on some trips I take, finding a place to plug in electronics is not always easy. I have several batteries as it is. I don't care about video so that's not a factor.

I also am considering going to a mirrorless system (probably Sony) and could wait it out with my K-5 for a few more years before I do that. That is born a lot out of it being more difficult to haul around the weight of a DSLR and lenses as I age.

What are your thoughts?
I made the jump from K5 to K3II. The K5 is a tank, very well built and the Sony 16 is a great sensor.

The K3II beats it in every category. I've had the opportunity to use my newest lens, a DA300 mostly on the K3II but a bit on the K5 recently and the difference in focus engine is obvious. It simply works better on the K3II. The images from the K5 with that lens are really nice, don't get me wrong.
The K3II with my 100mm macro is a joy to use, and the sensor provides greater cropping and better resolution.

You won't go wrong with it.
05-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I made the jump from K5 to K3II. The K5 is a tank, very well built and the Sony 16 is a great sensor.

...and the difference in focus engine is obvious. It simply works better on the K3II.
Music to my ears! Thanks! I have an trip to Borneo and Sumatra coming up and am looking forward to taking photos of orangutans; and then, maybe, next year, Africa again. So I'll be ready! My K-3II is on the FedEx truck on the way to my house as I write this. Exciting!
05-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Music to my ears! Thanks! I have an trip to Borneo and Sumatra coming up and am looking forward to taking photos of orangutans; and then, maybe, next year, Africa again. So I'll be ready! My K-3II is on the FedEx truck on the way to my house as I write this. Exciting!
Enjoy! You will like it, I am sure. I have over 6,000 clicks on mine.