Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
When I can count the barbs on the vane of a bird's feather on a 110% crop (IIRC) of a K-70 pic I think it becomes good enough for me.
I currently have a K-70 on the way from Adorama. I went with the K-70 over the KP because it was already at the high end of my budget and the KP didn't offer enough of a boost to make it worth completely busting my budget. As for the shutter issue the bulk of threads I read online indicated that it was not a problem on the K-70.

Last edited by MichaelaPDX; 03-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.
03-02-2018, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I currently have a K-70 on the way from Adorama. I went with the K-70 over the KP because it was already at the high end of my budget and the KP didn't offer enough of a boost to make it worth completely busting my budget. As for the shutter issue the bulk of threads I read on that indicated that it was not a problem on the K-70.
That is what has been posted here many times. The aperture block failure is not a problem with the K-70 as it is a different design. The K-70 is a nice bit of gear. Hope it is great for you.
03-02-2018, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #18

And there's this.
2 Year Extended Warranty for all current DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) 85716

Not sure how much of a hassle it is to get a fix but it is some peace of mind in a cheap package.
03-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

It depends on your available budget. If it is fairly restricted perhaps it would be better for your requirements to prioritise lenses over bodies. If you were to go for the K-70, the money saved (compared with buying the KP) could be put towards one of the HD DA limited lenses for landscapes or the HD DA 55-300 PLM zoom lens for wildlife.

03-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It depends on your available budget. If it is fairly restricted perhaps it would be better for your requirements to prioritise lenses over bodies. If you were to go for the K-70, the money saved (compared with buying the KP) could be put towards one of the HD DA limited lenses for landscapes or the HD DA 55-300 PLM zoom lens for wildlife.
That's how I justify it my mind.
I have a nice K-70 and a great used 15 limited.
03-02-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 is now the Pentax entry-level DSLR. It is outstanding in every way as a value-choice. No one else offers so much quality in this price category. So for those whose budget is being stretched, it is a no-brainer.

At the same time, the KP is in a different class of build quality, advanced controls, advancements in SR, AF, numerous programmable options, battery grip for higher-level needs, and is a very good value for what it is. I think it is well worth the extra cost, especially in the long run, and considering the deals now being offered. I have liked mine so much, I took advantage of one such deal and bought a second backup body.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
03-02-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mnhoj Quote
And there's this.
2 Year Extended Warranty for all current DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) 85716

Not sure how much of a hassle it is to get a fix but it is some peace of mind in a cheap package.
Thanks, I will be taking advantage of this one when my KP arrives next week. It is within 200 miles but the weekend makes me sad!

03-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the K-70 has up to 4.5 stops of stabilization compared to the KP's 5 doesn't it? That's a negligible difference IMHO.
That's a smaller difference than I thought - I know my k3 isn't as well stabilized as the KP and I was thinking the k70 had the same SR as the K70. Sorry for the misinformation.
03-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I wanted a K-70 when I initially started looking to buy a DSLR last summer and found a good deal on a Kit K-50 that saved me a few hundred dollars versus purchasing the K-70. I ordered my KP today at Adorama since it was an amazing deal with free goodies including a DA 50 1.8 lens. I wanted the extended ISO performance, more focus points, ultrasonic dust removal, and the SR II Shake reduction system. The magnesium frame was also something I was intrigued with. I am just future-proofing my APSC purchase since I don't expect to buy another one for the next several years at a minimum..
I ordered without ever handling one since by all accounts it is like a little brother to the K-1, which feels like an ingot of metal that takes pictures when you hold it. I am getting excited since it is packed and on the way.
Here is the best way to compare by using the pull down menus to select the cameras you want to compare. There are also links to the PF reviews.Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thank you, I played with the comparison chart for a couple days going back and forth. Finally started leaning toward KP but still wanted ideas from the more informed. Love the extra stabilization. I have a problem with that.

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 06:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Love the 55-300 lens. I purchased it separately when I purchased k70 so I have the lens now just no camera. 😝

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:03 AM ----------

I wanted a K-70 when I initially started looking to buy a DSLR last summer and found a good deal on a Kit K-50 that saved me a few hundred dollars versus purchasing the K-70. I ordered my KP today at Adorama since it was an amazing deal with free goodies including a DA 50 1.8 lens. I wanted the extended ISO performance, more focus points, ultrasonic dust removal, and the SR II Shake reduction system. The magnesium frame was also something I was intrigued with. I am just future-proofing my APSC purchase since I don't expect to buy another one for the next several years at a minimum..
I ordered without ever handling one since by all accounts it is like a little brother to the K-1, which feels like an ingot of metal that takes pictures when you hold it. I am getting excited since it is packed and on the way.
Here is the best way to compare by using the pull down menus to select the cameras you want to compare. There are also links to the PF reviews.Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thank you for response and Yeah that comparison chart is what started all this. 😁 How different is the 50mm lens from the 30mm? I have a sigma 30mm plus , also havepentax 55-300, Pentax 18-55, and Pentax 28-80. Which lens would you recommend adding? I would like a macro lens (I think) but no clue which would be better for an amateur .

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:07 AM ----------

When I can count the barbs on the vane of a bird's feather on a 110% crop (IIRC) of a K-70 pic I think it becomes good enough for me.
Thank you for response and Yeah that comparison chart is what started all this. 😁 How different is the 50mm lens from the 30mm? I have a sigma 30mm plus , also havepentax 55-300, Pentax 18-55, and Pentax 28-80. Which lens would you recommend adding? I would like a macro lens (I think) but no clue which would be better for an amateur .

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:12 AM ----------

This is beautiful. The few photos I took with k70 before returning it I never got anything this sharp.
03-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

What lenses to add? You have nice starting lenses and to answer we need to know a bit more about your plans for zoom landscapes and wildlife. With either camera, landscapes can be taken with anything from an 8mm to 300mm lens. I love my DA 15 f4 but when I stitch images together from my FA 77 Limited as a landscape lens, it is very nice. I would go for a couple prime lenses like the DA 21, DA 40 and 70 or the DA 40 XS if budget is a large concern, and keep my eyes peeled for a well priced 70-200mm F/2.8 zoom. If you are going for the KP, the smaller Limiteds are said to balance well and you have a decent zoom for 300mm. Look for a nice Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter or the Pentax version (for a lot more money) I would recommend j using what you have and practicing your basic skills. I went overboard buying lenses when I should have worried and studied about framing and composition, use of light, and all the things that can make your image good. Good gear helps but it is the person holding the camera that is most important.
03-03-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 50mm f/1.8 is very different from 30mm. It is a good portrait length for one thing, and has a fast aperture to blur background more to make a subject stand out from it. The fast f/1.8 aperture is also very desirable for low light and/or fast action shooting. You can likewise stretch together shots for a wider landscape with no distortion and very high resolution. Its f/1.8 aperture, for instance, can provide around 8 times faster shutter speed compared to f/5.6 at the same ISO setting in the same lighting. Great for indoor shots.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.
03-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #27

Original Poster
What lenses to add? You have nice starting lenses and to answer we need to know a bit more about your plans for zoom landscapes and wildlife. With either camera, landscapes can be taken with anything from an 8mm to 300mm lens. I love my DA 15 f4 but when I stitch images together from my FA 77 Limited as a landscape lens, it is very nice. I would go for a couple prime lenses like the DA 21, DA 40 and 70 or the DA 40 XS if budget is a large concern, and keep my eyes peeled for a well priced 70-200mm F/2.8 zoom. If you are going for the KP, the smaller Limiteds are said to balance well and you have a decent zoom for 300mm. Look for a nice Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter or the Pentax version (for a lot more money) I would recommend j using what you have and practicing your basic skills. I went overboard buying lenses when I should have worried and studied about framing and composition, use of light, and all the things that can make your image good. Good gear helps but it is the person holding the camera that is most important.

Brilliant response. Thank you for advice and recommendations. The kp is def more than i was planning on and as someone mentioned the difference in money would help with glass. BUT i probably won’t be buying another camera for many years which leads me to kp. I hate these decisions. Also waiting on refund from k70 return. Thx again.
03-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmrbrtsn Quote
Brilliant response. Thank you for advice and recommendations. The kp is def more than i was planning on and as someone mentioned the difference in money would help with glass. BUT i probably won’t be buying another camera for many years which leads me to kp. I hate these decisions. Also waiting on refund from k70 return. Thx again.
My new KP with all the free extras is sitting less than 30 miles from me but I won't get it for at least another 36 hours since it is still in transit via UPS. I made sure to shoot with my K-50 today though.

Just be patient and there are often very good deals on a lens to fit what your developing interests need. I picked up a well travelled but well loved DA 18-250 that I have covered by other lenses with similar focal lengths but the more I use it, the more I like it. I also got a great deal on a DA 17-70 f4 SDM here that a lot of folks might shy away from due to the reputation of the SDM focusing motors but it has been brilliant and I love the images it produces. PArticipate and sometimes people will offer you a deal if you are interested in something they don't use much.
03-04-2018, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmrbrtsn Quote
---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:03 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Thank you for response and Yeah that comparison chart is what started all this. �� How different is the 50mm lens from the 30mm? I have a sigma 30mm plus , also havepentax 55-300, Pentax 18-55, and Pentax 28-80. Which lens would you recommend adding? I would like a macro lens (I think) but no clue which would be better for an amateur .

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:07 AM ----------

Thank you for response and Yeah that comparison chart is what started all this. �� How different is the 50mm lens from the 30mm? I have a sigma 30mm plus , also havepentax 55-300, Pentax 18-55, and Pentax 28-80. Which lens would you recommend adding? I would like a macro lens (I think) but no clue which would be better for an amateur .

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 07:12 AM ----------

This is beautiful. The few photos I took with k70 before returning it I never got anything this sharp.
For a macro the obvious choice considering your other lenses would be the DFA100WR. But it's not the only one. Many of the DA* lenses for example produce amazingly detailed images even very heavily cropped, two of my favs being the *200 and *300. This is an example from the latter, first as originally shot and the second cropped. I think the imaging capabilities of the K-70 camera are under-rated, the assumption being entry level=less?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-04-2018 at 06:19 PM.
03-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #30
Pentaxian

That is what has been posted here many times. The aperture block failure is not a problem with the K-70 as it is a different design.
Could anybody give me a source of this information? That the aperture block is designed in a different way?