Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you go to the camera comparison page, here Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com and just below the top of each column is a link to the long-form review for each camera. I believe it was Adam who runs this site who stated it initially. If not him, it was someone who has a lot more experience than I do in camera design. I also think it is in the review since the K-30/50 aperture block failure was something that affected too many people to be ignored. I have almost 17,000 shots on my K-50 in less than 9 months and it has been great.
I knew nothing about any failures until I owned one. If you are buying new at Adorama, there is even an additional 2 year warrantee from Pentax available for under 20.00. Cheap peace of mind in my book.

03-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My new KP with all the free extras is sitting less than 30 miles from me but I won't get it for at least another 36 hours since it is still in transit via UPS. I made sure to shoot with my K-50 today though.
Just 20 more hours to go . I'd be interested to hear of your impressions relative to the K-50 once you are settled in with the K-70. However I look at it, it seems a great camera.
03-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Just 20 more hours to go . I'd be interested to hear of your impressions relative to the K-50 once you are settled in with the K-70. However I look at it, it seems a great camera.
It seems he will be settling in with the KP, not the K-70. I do believe he will notice differences, depending on the quality of lens used, it will then be more or less. I have had my K-5 IIs for several years now, which has a similar sensor to the K-50, but also has no AA filter, which is also true of the KP, yet I have noticed improvements in the KP that are over and above my K-5 IIs. That difference is potentially greater over the K-50, which still employs the AA filter. And there will be a much more advanced control set and feel in terms of the build quality.

I still do like my K-5 IIs, especially its having a different feel and a different advanced control set, and its image quality I still consider as very high. So I am keeping it for times when I need what it offers. If I were coming from a K-50 I might be thinking otherwise, although there's nothing wrong with having a 2nd backup body either.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.
03-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It seems he will be settling in with the KP, not the K-70. I do believe he will notice differences, depending on the quality of lens used, it will then be more or less. I have had my K-5 IIs for several years now, which has a similar sensor to the K-50, but also has no AA filter, which is also true of the KP, yet I have noticed improvements in the KP that are over and above my K-5 IIs. That difference is potentially greater over the K-50, which still employs the AA filter. And there will be a much more advanced control set and feel in terms of the build quality.

I still do like my K-5 IIs, especially its having a different feel and a different advanced control set, and its image quality I still consider as very high. So I am keeping it for times when I need what it offers. If I were coming from a K-50 I might be thinking otherwise, although there's nothing wrong with having a 2nd backup body either.
I have several Limiteds and some fairly good FA and Vivitar glass so when shooting macros and landscapes, I suspect I will be able to tell the difference. I am stoked but should be in bed so I can wait by the door starting at 8:00 AM tomorrow for the UPS man to arrive with my goodie box.

03-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
if you go to the camera comparison page, here Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com and just below the top of each column is a link to the long-form review for each camera. I believe it was Adam who runs this site who stated it initially. If not him, it was someone who has a lot more experience than I do in camera design. I also think it is in the review since the K-30/50 aperture block failure was something that affected too many people to be ignored. I have almost 17,000 shots on my K-50 in less than 9 months and it has been great.
I knew nothing about any failures until I owned one. If you are buying new at Adorama, there is even an additional 2 year warrantee from Pentax available for under 20.00. Cheap peace of mind in my book.
Sorry, but I could not find any statement claiming that the aperture design is different. Why am I wondering about this? One friend of mine repairs aperture blocks in K-30 and newer cameras and he has recently got one K-70 for repair. Could you give me, please, direct link to some official fact or statement?
03-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Sorry, but I could not find any statement claiming that the aperture design is different. Why am I wondering about this? One friend of mine repairs aperture blocks in K-30 and newer cameras and he has recently got one K-70 for repair. Could you give me, please, direct link to some official fact or statement?
It’s disgraceful that Pentax have not addressed this issue. They knew about the fault before releasing the K70 and they clearly know how to make a camera without the issue. My repair cost me as much as the camera. Ok, they have given some people a free fix but that isn’t the point. I am so glad I now have a K3, my K30 is now a back up. This is very poor on the part of pentax
03-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
My correction: Ok, my friend did not get K-70 for this repair yet. So, I would welcome any link to reliable source as confirmation that this issue has already been solved. Thanks

03-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
It’s disgraceful that Pentax have not addressed this issue. They knew about the fault before releasing the K70 and they clearly know how to make a camera without the issue. My repair cost me as much as the camera. Ok, they have given some people a free fix but that isn’t the point. I am so glad I now have a K3, my K30 is now a back up. This is very poor on the part of pentax
What makes you so certain Ricoh did not already fix it in the K-70 rather than it suffering from same aperture block failure that affected some number of old K-50's?
03-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Adam also stated it in a post I saw just a few days ago. The search function is your friend! I look at so many posts every day, I can't remember where it is. Use your Google-Fu and find it. I have not seen more than one or two posts about issues with the K-70 and every complex piece of machinery that contains electronics has a certain failure rate directly out of the box or a short time after purchase. I had no issues with my K-50, so was very unconcerned when I purchased my KP.
That is why when buying new, you purchase from a factory authorized seller, then if you are worried from reading one or two posts about failure, spend the 20.00 on an extended warrantee from Pentax, It even comes with a free check up!
03-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
What makes you so certain Ricoh did not already fix it in the K-70 rather than it suffering from same aperture block failure that affected some number of old K-50's?
I was replying to the previous poster who said one had failed, he then retracted it! it was probably fuelled by the fact that I had to pay a lot for a fix to a failure that was so common you would have thought Pentax/Ricoh would have put a repair plan in place. I sincerely hope the solenoids fitted in the later K50s and K70s were more reliable because that would mean my repair, using new solenoids, is more likely to stick.
03-07-2018, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I was replying to the previous poster who said one had failed, he then retracted it! it was probably fuelled by the fact that I had to pay a lot for a fix to a failure that was so common you would have thought Pentax/Ricoh would have put a repair plan in place. I sincerely hope the solenoids fitted in the later K50s and K70s were more reliable because that would mean my repair, using new solenoids, is more likely to stick.
Oh, fair enough then.

FWIW there's a thread pertaining to this at DPReview where two different members had received communications from Ricoh directly that the aperture block in the K-70 is not the same design as the one in the K-50/K-30.
Are aperture motor problems still in K70?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-07-2018, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

The K-70 is a superb compact DSLR offering amazing value for money for its features, build and ergonomics - all well above entry level. It has been sold for around 15 months, so I would have thought that any problems would have been reported here on PF by now. Has anyone found any mention of a K-70 aperture failure in any Web search? I haven't. Anyone thinking of a K-70 just get one and enjoy taking pictures with it - it's great.
03-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I hope it is true that the Pentax K-70 model is finally clear of the aperture block problem. The reason doubt persists is they have not released any official statement to the effect that the design is different than that of the K-50 and the K-S2. And also the history of this problem, which was evident way back with the K-30, yet it was not fixed in the K-50, and apparently not fixed in the KS2 either! So why would there not be suspicion regarding the K-70, which is in the same camera class and is descended from those previous?

In addition to the KP and K-5 IIs, I also own a K-S2, which I purchased new and employ it as my casual-use extra lightweight compact model, so I hope I continue to be lucky with it.
03-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I hope it is true that the Pentax K-70 model is finally clear of the aperture block problem. The reason doubt persists is they have not released any official statement to the effect that the design is different than that of the K-50 and the K-S2. And also the history of this problem, which was evident way back with the K-30, yet it was not fixed in the K-50, and apparently not fixed in the KS2 either! So why would there not be suspicion regarding the K-70, which is in the same camera class and is descended from those previous?

In addition to the KP and K-5 IIs, I also own a K-S2, which I purchased new and employ it as my casual-use extra lightweight compact model, so I hope I continue to be lucky with it.
...and I agree with you about the K-S2. I have a pair of 'em with no sign of an issue with either but I sure wouldn't be happy to have one pop up. It's not something I worry about much anyway as except for one or two mentions here in the forums it doesn't seem to be something the K-S2's are prone to. According to surveys it was primarily a K-50 and K-30 problem.
03-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Oh, fair enough then.

FWIW there's a thread pertaining to this at DPReview where two different members had received communications from Ricoh directly that the aperture block in the K-70 is not the same design as the one in the K-50/K-30.
Are aperture motor problems still in K70?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Thanks!