Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I hope it is true that the Pentax K-70 model is finally clear of the aperture block problem. The reason doubt persists is they have not released any official statement to the effect that the design is different than that of the K-50 and the K-S2. And also the history of this problem, which was evident way back with the K-30, yet it was not fixed in the K-50, and apparently not fixed in the KS2 either!
If they officially issue some kind of statement about the aperture motor issue, then they recognize that there was an issue with that & a gigantic can of worms will be opened with customers trying to get their camera fixed or refunded.

Till today, according to Ricoh, "no issues with the K-30/50/S1/S2."

03-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #47

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. 1.I apologize for not responding sooner, health issues have been a major distraction. I finally received my k70 refund so now for making final decision between kp and k70. I see the posts about the aperture block issue. I wonder if that was the issue with the k70 or just plain ole defective? I have photos on my first thread about this. The kp deal with the 50 mm is still going on but my question is I had purchased the k70 with the 18-135 lens. Am i going to miss that, should i order that instead of 50mm? I currently have the pentax 55-300, pentax 28-80, pentax 18-55 and a sigma 30mm. So basically trying to decide which i need more, 18-135mm or 50mm. Hope this makes sense and y'all have been so helpful.
03-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmrbrtsn Quote
Thanks everyone. 1.I apologize for not responding sooner, health issues have been a major distraction. I finally received my k70 refund so now for making final decision between kp and k70. I see the posts about the aperture block issue. I wonder if that was the issue with the k70 or just plain ole defective? I have photos on my first thread about this. The kp deal with the 50 mm is still going on but my question is I had purchased the k70 with the 18-135 lens. Am i going to miss that, should i order that instead of 50mm? I currently have the pentax 55-300, pentax 28-80, pentax 18-55 and a sigma 30mm. So basically trying to decide which i need more, 18-135mm or 50mm. Hope this makes sense and y'all have been so helpful.
No wireless flash control

Last edited by atlrob; 03-10-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: neeed to add K70
03-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Have you returned the 18-135 as well as the K-70 - if so, why - and have you definitely settled on the KP? There is little argument that the 18-135 would be your most versatile lens - see the Pentax Forums user reviews and the owners' images thread for this zoom lens, and you will see that it should give you better quality images than your 18-55 and, of course, over a bigger range of focal lengths. It would also make a good two-lens kit with your 55-300. However, the only person who can actually answer your question is you - think about how much would you use the 50.... Perhaps go through your images to see how many you have taken at that focal length.

03-10-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see the posts about the aperture block issue. I wonder if that was the issue with the k70 or just plain ole defective?

I had purchased the k70 with the 18-135 lens. Am i going to miss that, should i order that instead of 50mm? I currently have the pentax 55-300, pentax 28-80, pentax 18-55 and a sigma 30mm. So basically trying to decide which i need more, 18-135mm or 50mm.
The consensus here on PF and I agree, is that the K70 aperture block is a new part and does not have the same issue that plagued some K30/K50 owners. And personally (knock on wood) my son has a K50 and our my department at school does too, and neither have had problems. If you opt for the KP, it should not be out of fear for the aperture block on the K70. I also have three students with a K70 and none of them have had issues with the aperture block.

With a limited budget, youʻre better getting the K-70 with a better lens. If youʻre totally happy with your current lenses, then the K-P body only makes sense.

Of all your current lenses, which one do you use the most? IF it is the 18-55 or 28-80mm zooms, then the 18-135mm makes the most sense as a more versatile alternative to your preferred way of shooting. If you find yourself shooting the 30mm prime a lot, but wish for something better suited for portraits and improved bokeh, then the 50mm prime makes more sense for you.

Personally I am not a multi-tasker, and that also reflects in how I usually shoot. When I am serious, I will take three primes; a wide, a normal, and a telephoto. But sometimes I am more casual and shoot more as an "opportunist". In those cases, I will use a 16-85mm zoom. So if you plan on selling your 18-55 and 28-80, you could replace them with either the 18-135mm or a 16-85mm. If youʻre wanting to add a new look to your images, and itʻs more about results than convenience, the 50mm prime is the ticket.
03-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Have you returned the 18-135 as well as the K-70 - if so, why - and have you definitely settled on the KP? There is little argument that the 18-135 would be your most versatile lens - see the Pentax Forums user reviews and the owners' images thread for this zoom lens, and you will see that it should give you better quality images than your 18-55 and, of course, over a bigger range of focal lengths. It would also make a good two-lens kit with your 55-300. However, the only person who can actually answer your question is you - think about how much would you use the 50.... Perhaps go through your images to see how many you have taken at that focal length.
Yes i did return the 18-135, it was a bundle deal so everything had to go back. I hated it. I’m not 100% sold on kp, it’s definitely on the higher end of what i wanted to spend. I guess I’m just a little gun shy with the k70 now.
Surely that wouldn’t happen twice.
03-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
If they officially issue some kind of statement about the aperture motor issue, then they recognize that there was an issue with that & a gigantic can of worms will be opened with customers trying to get their camera fixed or refunded.

Till today, according to Ricoh, "no issues with the K-30/50/S1/S2."
I went with K70 and did not look back at all. Why bother?
I mainly mainly shoot prime lenses and my zoom of F2.8 is hardly deployed at all. What is important for me is lenses. Camera bodies come and go-plain and simple

03-11-2018, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes i did return the 18-135, it was a bundle deal so everything had to go back. I hated it. I’m not 100% sold on kp, it’s definitely on the higher end of what i wanted to spend. I guess I’m just a little gun shy with the k70 now.
Surely that wouldn’t happen twice.
If you are not sold on the KP it is possibly telling you something. Try the K70 again, people love them so the chance of you getting another duffer must be very slim indeed.
03-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
I mainly mainly shoot prime lenses and my zoom of F2.8 is hardly deployed at all. What is important for me is lenses. Camera bodies come and go-plain and simple
True and after much thought I'm thinking of trying K70 again maybe without a kit lens and getting a better lens. Just can't afford the kp with the lens i want. i will be glad when this is over just trying not to make a rash purchase. This forum has been very helpful.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 09:18 AM ----------

i know this may seem like another thread should be started but its relevant to my new purchase I'm trying to make. i just put the 3 year camera warranty that was recommended here in my cart. Is warranty on the lens recommended also? My sigma 70-300 went out on me and is part of my reasoning for updating my camera. It has been over 3 years though on 300mm so is warranty a good idea? More, less I mean 1,2 or 3 years a better deal? ugh, thanks you.
03-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
True and after much thought I'm thinking of trying K70 again maybe without a kit lens and getting a better lens. Just can't afford the kp with the lens i want. i will be glad when this is over just trying not to make a rash purchase. :
After getting the body (either K70 or KP), start off with one of the great 50mm lenses like F, or FA50mm F1.4, or F1.7 in the used market. They are dirt cheap and give you max bang for the buck in image quality and resale value.
I make the assumption that you are not into manual lenses.
03-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i just put the 3 year camera warranty that was recommended here in my cart. Is warranty on the lens recommended also?
Warranties are double edged swords. The warranty company is banking on their research that they will make a profit on this because for that price and time period, you will not need it. On the other hand, things do happen and if you "beat the odds" youʻll regret not getting it.

Personally, if the extended warranty is only for manufacture defects for either the camera or the lens, I would pass. If however, it includes a spill, drop, accident protection, and you know youʻre going to be using the camera a lot in the first 3 years and you have a history of accidents, then I would get it.

As good as Sigma is optically, Iʻd say they are notch behind Pentax in term of electronics. So if youʻre thinking of getting new Sigma glass, an extended warranty might be wise.

If youʻre paying by credit card, you may want to see if your card has a buyer protection warranty for theft or damage that extends the manufacturerʻs warranty for an additional year. Costco.com at one time sold the Pentax K50 two lens kit and they include a second year warranty in their price.
03-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Warranties are double edged swords. The warranty company is banking on their research that they will make a profit on this because for that price and time period, you will not need it. On the other hand, things do happen and if you "beat the odds" youʻll regret not getting it.

Personally, if the extended warranty is only for manufacture defects for either the camera or the lens, I would pass. If however, it includes a spill, drop, accident protection, and you know youʻre going to be using the camera a lot in the first 3 years and you have a history of accidents, then I would get it.

As good as Sigma is optically, Iʻd say they are notch behind Pentax in term of electronics. So if youʻre thinking of getting new Sigma glass, an extended warranty might be wise.

If youʻre paying by credit card, you may want to see if your card has a buyer protection warranty for theft or damage that extends the manufacturerʻs warranty for an additional year. Costco.com at one time sold the Pentax K50 two lens kit and they include a second year warranty in their price.
Thank you for that. I think Im going to get k70 body and add the pentax 18-270 lens for now, possibly the 50mm now or next month. I can get all 3 for about the price of the kp with the 50mm. I think that comparison is correct. I also looked at the 18-135 that comes in the kit but isn't the 18-270 an upgrade from that?
03-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also looked at the 18-135 that comes in the kit but isn't the 18-270 an upgrade from that?
"Jack of all trades; master of none." The greater the range in a zoom, the less it can be expected to do well in terms of image quality. So although you get greater convenience and a bigger range with the 18-270, the 18-135 is much better in terms of IQ. I havenʻt actually used the 18-270, but thatʻs been my experience with every 18-200 or 18-300mm Iʻve ever used.

Personally I prefer primes, but when it comes to zooms, I prefer the wider end so the 16-85mm is my go to zoom. If I really need the long end, then 55-300mm.

If your images are all intended for the web, the 18-270 will do fine, but just saying, I wouldnʻt call it an "upgrade". However, if you plan on printing enlargements, Iʻd recommend the 18-135 or 16-85mm.
03-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #59
Pentaxian

In Post #24 you wrote that you already have the 55-300 PLM, so wouldn't it make more sense to get the 18-135? The latter would be much less expensive than the 18-270, so you could then also get the 50 prime at the same time.
03-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
"Jack of all trades; master of none." The greater the range in a zoom, the less it can be expected to do well in terms of image quality. So although you get greater convenience and a bigger range with the 18-270, the 18-135 is much better in terms of IQ. I haven't actually used the 18-270, but thatʻs been my experience with every 18-200 or 18-300mm Iʻve ever used.

Personally I prefer primes, but when it comes to zooms, I prefer the wider end so the 16-85mm is my go to zoom. If I really need the long end, then 55-300mm.

If your images are all intended for the web, the 18-270 will do fine, but just saying, I wouldn't call it an "upgrade". However, if you plan on printing enlargements, Iʻd recommend the 18-135 or 16-85mm.
Indeed. I'd be willing to spend more money & get the Pentax DA 16-85mm DC over the cheaper DA 18-270mm any day. You'll probably end up being disappointed by that 18-270mm lens.

There is also the constant aperture Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It's not weather sealed, but it's definitely a steal at $369.