Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

for pure manual lenses exposure readings, move from K30 to K-5 or K20 ?

I have a K-30 but I am in the process of using mostly manual M42 lenses, so I can use them on DSLR (with the M42/PK adapters) and on manual cameras (Spotmatic, etc). I had this k-30 since autumn and played initially with electronic lenses. To my dismay, there is no live exposure reading in the viewfinder when one modifies the aperture, in M mode (with all required correct settings) with pure manual lenses (no A stuff, just plain dumb manual optic), so the process of checking/setting exposure is with help of green button/Liveview, bracketing, exposure correction. This can be cumbersome. In fact Ḯ'd better use a lightmeter (needed anyway in case of SV and such). From few manuals that I have downloaded and read, it appears that older mid-range models like the K10 and the K20, and also a bit higher end models like K-5, have a preview function on the on/off switch and from some threads it seems that in this cases exposure reading/setting is shown in viewfinder. In fewer words, what I need is the digital equivalent of the Spotmatic needle (btw, can't understand how such basic old feature isn't available on K30).
If K5 or K20 have it, I may want to change camera. So I was thinking maybe the K5, the K20D or its Samsung GX-20 sibling could do. I even considered the K10 but it's only 10MP (on the other hand very cheap).
Any experiences and advices welcome

03-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A M42 lens in manual (set at the desired f-stop--so the lens is stopped down) and camera in AV mode should show the exposure value real time. It does so on my K-x and (I am sure) it does so on K20D and K-5. Likely also on any Pentax digital dslr. More than that I don't think any pre SMC-A lens will do what you want.

It does not work in M mode (in pre-SMC-A lens) because the lens is not stopped down until you use the green button. (I don't recall if it gives real time exposure info w/ an A lens in M mode.)
03-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the DoF Preview will show light metering for an M42 lens. I know it will for non-communicating k-mount lenses like my M 50 1.4 on my K-5 II. The camera mode needs to be set to M for this to work.
03-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

You need a "Flagship" model in order to use the optical DOF preview for metering in manual mode. That means K10D/20D, K-7, K-5/ii/iis, K-3/ii or K-1/ii. Along with enabling use of aperture ring you need to set the DOF preview to optical. This is only a feature on the top-end models.

03-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
A M42 lens in manual (set at the desired f-stop--so the lens is stopped down) and camera in AV mode should show the exposure value real time. It does so on my K-x and (I am sure) it does so on K20D and K-5. Likely also on any Pentax digital dslr.
+1 This is pretty much how I use my Takumars and other m42 lenses on a DSLR.
03-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by landstrykere Quote
I have a K-30 but I am in the process of using mostly manual M42 lenses, so I can use them on DSLR (with the M42/PK adapters) and on manual cameras (Spotmatic, etc). I had this k-30 since autumn and played initially with electronic lenses. To my dismay, there is no live exposure reading in the viewfinder when one modifies the aperture, in M mode (with all required correct settings) with pure manual lenses (no A stuff, just plain dumb manual optic), so the process of checking/setting exposure is with help of green button/Liveview, bracketing, exposure correction. This can be cumbersome. In fact Ḯ'd better use a lightmeter (needed anyway in case of SV and such). From few manuals that I have downloaded and read, it appears that older mid-range models like the K10 and the K20, and also a bit higher end models like K-5, have a preview function on the on/off switch and from some threads it seems that in this cases exposure reading/setting is shown in viewfinder. In fewer words, what I need is the digital equivalent of the Spotmatic needle (btw, can't understand how such basic old feature isn't available on K30).
If K5 or K20 have it, I may want to change camera. So I was thinking maybe the K5, the K20D or its Samsung GX-20 sibling could do. I even considered the K10 but it's only 10MP (on the other hand very cheap).
Any experiences and advices welcome
Metering works the same way across all Pentax DSLRs. Definitely don't get the K20D, as that would be a step back in terms of image quality, and it lacks proper live view.

A key advantage of the K-30 is a fairly modern live view system, complete with focus peaking. Live view will probably allow you to get more accurate exposures and also better focus, so I'd recommend experimenting with that.

If you're looking for durability you could go with the K-5 (or K-3 for even better image quality).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for not using M mode for metering with m42 lenses - it's a bit annoying. Try Av mode with the m42 lens. Then use exposure compensation to change exposure or use the Av mode to get initial exposure and switch to manual and make adjustments without using the green button - just dial in the exposure you want. (or use an external meter)

03-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for using AV mode with manual lenses, I find it produces very good results with my M42 Takumars
03-02-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Of your choices, the K-5 should meter about the same as the K-30. The K10D, quite frankly, sucks for stop-down metering with M42 or non-A K-mount lenses. With my K-3, I get best results for M42 using M mode in Live View and the green button.

Steve

(...yes, one can use the green button with M42 lenses, with superior results over Av in either live view or the optical viewfinder...at least on the K-3...)
03-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3 has gotten down in price quite a bit so why not just get that?
03-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Metering works the same way across all Pentax DSLRs.
well, and sorry, as I am new to Pentax and DSLR not sure what I could have missed, so to be clear and simple, what I was looking for is the digital equivalent of the analogue needle exposure information in a Spotmatic (or a Zenit TTL or whatever SLR with light/spotmeter). In the Spotmatic viewfinder, a needle shows under/over exposure at the same time that the speed dial or aperture are modified. It does real-time measurement. You look only in the viewfinder, while adjusting shutter speed dial and/or aperture on the lens, until the needle is set in the middle (correct exposure):

unless I missed something in the manual, this can not be done on the K-30 in M mode (focus lever on "MF", "Electronic Level" on, "Using Aperture Ring" enabled, iso set to a fixed value, mode dial on "M") in the viewfinder. Green button or DOF preview (raw/fx button set to) do only a spot measurement. Changing the shutter speed with the front dial doesn't show on the electronic level of the viewfinder. Or I really have missed something somewhere.
In LiveView, yes, the LCD displays the exposure modification at the same time that you modify the speed dial.

QuoteQuote:
A key advantage of the K-30 is a fairly modern live view system, complete with focus peaking. Live view will probably allow you to get more accurate exposures and also better focus, so I'd recommend experimenting with that.
completely agree. In fact I like it, it can provide all that fine granulation, and the histogram. But then one moves from viewfinder to LCD and back, or have to just work on the LCD, which I don't like. I was expecting something simple and good enough for many shots, like the viewfinder in manual SLR.

QuoteQuote:
Definitely don't get the K20D, as that would be a step back in terms of image quality, and it lacks proper live view. .../... If you're looking for durability you could go with the K-5 (or K-3 for even better image quality).
ok, great, so I will see if I can try one of these. Otherwise I like very much the K30, for the small size, the possibility to run on AA batteries, and good the times I put on an recent electronic glass.
I guess I have to spend more time learning patience and playing with the peculiarities of using manual lenses on it ...

---------- Post added 03-02-18 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Of your choices, the K-5 should meter about the same as the K-30. The K10D, quite frankly, sucks for stop-down metering with M42 or non-A K-mount lenses. With my K-3, I get best results for M42 using M mode in Live View and the green button.

Steve

(...yes, one can use the green button with M42 lenses, with superior results over Av in either live view or the optical viewfinder...at least on the K-3...)
I am thinking I will just give more time to the K30. I have been taking shots recently mostly with a couple Takumar and Mir lenses, and me too, I had much better luck with green button and liveview.. Works very nicely.
03-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

well, and sorry, as I am new to Pentax and DSLR not sure what I could have missed, so to be clear and simple, what I was looking for is the digital equivalent of the analogue needle exposure information in a Spotmatic (or a Zenit TTL or whatever SLR with light/spotmeter). In the Spotmatic viewfinder, a needle shows under/over exposure at the same time that the speed dial or aperture are modified. It does real-time measurement. You look only in the viewfinder, while adjusting shutter speed dial and/or aperture on the lens, until the needle is set in the middle (correct exposure):
This is possible on DSLRs, but only with A-type lenses and newer. Because Pentax DSLRs don't have the hardware to sense the position of the aperture ring, they cannot give you feedback in real time on exposure with manual K-mount lenses. You need to stop down to get a reading with those.

If you use M42 lenses, things are a little easier because you can use Av mode. The trade-off is that the viewfinder will darken as you stop down, since the diaphragm is fully manual.

While a lot of users have longed for a "non-crippled" K-mount on DSLRs, which allow the camera to meter properly with M and K lenses, the fact of the matter is that mechanical linkages are obsolete, so it's unlikely that this will be added. In fact, the latest KAF4 mount does away with the stop-down lever entirely; the aperture actuation is done by a little motor in the lens itself. This allows for more precise control and less wear on the camera. It's a trend being followed by the industry as a whole.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster

Steve

I am thinking I will just give more time to the K30. I have been taking shots with a couple Takumar and Mir lenses, and me too, I had much better luck with green button and liveview.. Works very nicely.
03-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve

I don't understand why green button would be superior to Av. With A series lenses I can see this as it is essentially a more accurate measure - but with green button - how do you get any different results. Both meter stopped down - I'm not following how technically this makes a difference. I'm not disputing it - just bewildered by it.
03-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #15

Steve

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I don't understand why green button would be superior to Av. With A series lenses I can see this as it is essentially a more accurate measure - but with green button - how do you get any different results. Both meter stopped down - I'm not following how technically this makes a difference. I'm not disputing it - just bewildered by it.
There's usually a at least a half EV difference on my K10D between manual metering with an M42 lens in Av vs Green Button vs "Needle Match" (DOF preview metering). As stevebrot says, manual metering on the K10D isn't the greatest.

unless I missed something in the manual, this can not be done on the K-30 in M mode (focus lever on "MF", "Electronic Level" on, "Using Aperture Ring" enabled, iso set to a fixed value, mode dial on "M") in the viewfinder. Green button or DOF preview (raw/fx button set to) do only a spot measurement. Changing the shutter speed with the front dial doesn't show on the electronic level of the viewfinder. Or I really have missed something somewhere.
Only the bodies with a DOF preview position on the power switch (around the shutter button) have the "needle match" metering in manual mode with non-A lenses. These include M42, M and K series lesnes, and "A" lenses with aperture rings not set in the "A" mode.