Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 04:26 AM   #1

hood for viewing/chimping?

What hood do you use for chimping (confirming shot on screen)?

I want something that hangs conveniently by a string the same way my view camera's focusing magnifier does. Presumably this would be a rubber cone-shaped object?

It's usually difficult to effectively chimp (view) the screen in brilliant sunlight.

Chimping is sometimes crucial in M-mode..M is necessary to make proper panoramas as well as to a manual-focus lens.

Pentax's viewfinder readouts are inadequate in many situations, VERY badly executed by comparison to all film SLRs with which I'm familiar (dim, tiny).

09-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a HoodMan loupe. I looked at the Delkin covers and they seem like a good idea but 2 things turned me off. They do stick out a little and I don't want anything else sticking off the back of the body that could get in the way of my face or catch on clothing etc when hanging over my shoulder. Second, they provide shade but don't eliminate outside light. So in the brightest conditions, where you need them the most, you will still have a tough time analyzing the image.

The Hoodman hangs around my neck. It's an eye piece that I can cover the screen from all outside light and see the screen even in direct sun. The eyepiece is adjustable to your vision and it magnify's the screen a little. So overall a very good solution.
09-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
Peter, thanks... something like that had to exist!

Just viewed your two websites...fine photos...simple and effective website designs...

...did you use anything in addition to Google to design them?
09-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #4

The HoodMan Loupe is really the way to go. I did buy the Delkin cover but took off the shade itself and just leave the screen protector on. It doesn't stick out and keeps the LCD clean and free from scratches.

09-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

janosh, thanks for the comments on the sites. it's all Google and Picasa to create them. Since I'm earning a bigger potion of my income now with a camera, I'm building a new site with a web host service. It should be up and running in a month or so. But the current sites are great. Easy to create and change. There are several limits though to what you can do for the look and operation.

I think I got my Hoodman for $49 or so on Ebay some time ago. I remember it was cheaper than buying direct or from B&H or Amazon at the time.
09-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i'd love to get a hoodman loupe but it's quite expensive (for me) wish it were about 30ish US dollars
09-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You could make something to do the same thing. Get some black plastic, maybe from a toy or similar. Boil some water and warm the plastic. Shape it against a sharp edge to fit the basic LCD shape. Drill a hole in one end to make a lanyard to hang around your neck. The hood screen will block out the sun and you're all set.
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Peter...that Hoodman is reportedly discontinued ...Willoughby's confirmed one, so I ordered...we'll see if they meant it

Dust (from changing prime lenses) is another reason for this loupe...it's very inconvenient to inspect a monitor for dust in some situations...this is crucial for me because I change primes frequently and dust does happen perhaps 20% of the time.

Will your redesigned site/s let your customers order prints online?

09-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

the older H-LPP is discontinued, but the newer version for 3" screens is taking its place the H-LPP3 is available.

Hoodman | Professional LCD Screen Loupe for 3" | H-LPP3
09-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes I was thinking of adding that feature. I don't expect much from it but it'll be there. I'm not surprised the loupe has gone to a larger size but it isn;t a big deal since you can move the smaller one around if that's needed.
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
The HoodMan Loupe is really the way to go. I did buy the Delkin cover but took off the shade itself and just leave the screen protector on. It doesn't stick out and keeps the LCD clean and free from scratches.
I bought and used the Delkin, but now have removed it.

The first thing that went wrong is that I broke one of the four little tabs that hold the cover in place on the screen. This caused the cover to move out of position and/or fall off quite often taking the camera out of the bag, and sometimes just brushing against my clothes.

The second problem was the dust that got between the screen and the protector. I might get a Hoodman in the future, but right now, I am back to Mr. Pentax's default uncovered screen. I find that with the LCD brightness at +3, I can see enough to check composition outdoors, and to check rough focus at 20x on the LCD.
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
B&H doesn't know when they'll get the new Hoodman ...it's around $10 more than the earlier version from Willoughbys . Either way, it's expensive for what little it is, but I want it.

My lenses are all 3.2 or faster...neither screen nor Hoodman serve my composition or focus... I do need to confirm sensor dust after every prime lens change when I have the time.

As well, I'm shooting some panoramas (2X6 last weekend with 35/2.8 DA.. will splice to huge file!) ...exposures for panos need to be the same, M not auto... I'll be happier if I can chimp, though that's not as important as dust.
09-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I haven't been all that thrilled with the resolution of my K20D LCD. I was thinking about hooking up a higher res LCD monitor (via the video out cable) I have one coming in for my HD camcorder, so I was thinking of perhaps trying that out. Not sure how that will work. Anyone try that?
09-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The hoodman is more than a simple rubber hood, it also contains optics to allow your eye to focus so close to the screen.
09-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmmmmm....I wonder how one of those slide viewers would work!!!!