Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

K100D vs. pavement. . .

I suppose this one ended in a tie - neither one of them broke.

I have a nice camera bag that I sling across my body when I'm out with my K100d, and I *almost* always remember to zip closed the top. Well, the other day I didn't. I bent over a bit and turn my body and I hear a crunch beneath me. I turn to see my lens cap rolling down the pavement and my camera laying on the ground.

I checked it out - nothing broken, no cracks in the glass, took the lens off and everything seemed just fine. It landed on the lens, and there is some scuffing on the outside rim of the lens as well as the cap (this is the kit lens I'm talking about).

Needless to say - I about cried, but I was elated to take a few shots right after to see it was performing flawlessly. I've since taken several hundred shots - works like new.

I wouldn't suggest pushing the limits on the durability of this camera, but apparently it got through my pavement test OK. Guess who will be zipping the top of his camera bag closed EVERY time from now on?

02-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad it's okay, Brian! I dropped my camera bag the other day in a parking lot. It was closed (thank goodness) but it still could have been bad news if it had landed badly. Fortunately, it didn't and everything okay. But it did remind me to take care.

Will
02-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

About a year ago I had my istDL on the back of a pretty large refractor type telescope taking pics of the moon. After a few shots and some focus tweaks, etc, I was shooting numerous shots and all of a sudden I heard this terrible "clunk!!!" I looked in the dark and was horrified to see that the camera had fallen about 3 feet straight down onto the concrete driveway. I picked it up and took it inside so I could examine it closely. I couldn't find a mark on it and it still worked perfectly. I still have it as a backup to the K10 and use it several times a week. They are tough!!

Walt
02-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Years ago, my wife did exactly the same thing to my brand new 24-90 with my older MZ-30. The front UV Contax filter was broken fully and that the MZ body was scratched heavily for 3 positions. But all these stuff are still working flawlessly up till now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Brian Wahl Quote
I suppose this one ended in a tie - neither one of them broke.

I have a nice camera bag that I sling across my body when I'm out with my K100d, and I *almost* always remember to zip closed the top. Well, the other day I didn't. I bent over a bit and turn my body and I hear a crunch beneath me. I turn to see my lens cap rolling down the pavement and my camera laying on the ground.

I checked it out - nothing broken, no cracks in the glass, took the lens off and everything seemed just fine. It landed on the lens, and there is some scuffing on the outside rim of the lens as well as the cap (this is the kit lens I'm talking about).

Needless to say - I about cried, but I was elated to take a few shots right after to see it was performing flawlessly. I've since taken several hundred shots - works like new.

I wouldn't suggest pushing the limits on the durability of this camera, but apparently it got through my pavement test OK. Guess who will be zipping the top of his camera bag closed EVERY time from now on?

02-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #5

Great story. I'm glad your camera is OK, Brian.
02-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to chuckle a bit.....
the thought of dropping a pentax is almost the same magnatude as dropping a new born
just joking but had to laugh as I think I would be in tears for both

glad your baby... i mean camera is o.k
randy
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I did the same for my new (at the time) Kodak P850 last year. I'd just bought it and was riding my bike to take some pictures. I hit a bump and it just flipped right out onto the pavement, but luckily still inside the little fabric case (minimal protection). I just about cried, because (at the time, pre dSLR) it was the most I'd ever spent on a camera. It worked fine though. I sold it about 6 weeks later and bought the *ist DL on the great rebate deal (final kit cost $325 after rebate).

Glad to hear your K100D is working fine. Keep that bag closed!

02-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I turn to see my lens cap rolling down the pavement and my camera laying on the ground.
The brutal humour. lol

Glad your camera was ok. Yea I have the Pentax Gadget Bag and it doesn't have a zipper. Just a clip for convenience. I hope its not an accident waiting to happen.
02-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[QUOTE=newtmaker;29995]About a year ago I had my istDL on the back of a pretty large refractor type telescope taking pics of the moon.

Ah, another telescope person. I've had my K100D on a modest refractor (Stellarvue Nighthawk) and my Meade SCT. I always use a T-ring with the camera threaded on, never an EP adaptor that could slide out. I also loop the camera's strap over the scope's finder in case I slip when attaching/removing the camera. I started Astrophotography with a K1000, moved onto an SBIG, now have a Pentax again and have never dropped a camera... Yet.

Leo Taylor

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 02-23-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Trying to Fix the Signature
02-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I was using our club scope, a TEC140 on a G-11 mount. The TEC has a compression ring focuser and the 2" camera adapter I was using was chromed, and slippery. I have since got an anodized black aluminum version that can be gripped much tighter!

Walt
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It landed on the lens, and there is some scuffing on the outside rim of the lens as well as the cap (this is the kit lens I'm talking about).
Well, that "soft" lens came in handy :-P Glad it all survived.