Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

The best portrait photography lenses

Hey everyone I’m new to the forums. Iv been doing some research and I’d just like some other Pentax users input. I have a K-1 and mostly do indoor/outdoor portrait/model photography and sports photography. I was wondering what you guys would say is the “best” or at least most impressive lens for portraits (full body / half) ?

03-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mrgoodintention Quote
Hey everyone I’m new to the forums
Welcome to the forum, on FF IMHO something in the 85mm range would best meet your needs... like my “Sweetheart” (Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4).
03-05-2018, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey everyone I’m new to the forums. Iv been doing some research and I’d just like some other Pentax users input. I have a K-1 and mostly do indoor/outdoor portrait/model photography and sports photography. I was wondering what you guys would say is the “best” or at least most impressive lens for portraits (full body / half) ?
The FA 77mm is definitely among current user favorites.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For full and 1/2-body shots especially, the FA 77mm Limited on a FF body can be great at the right distance, without having to get too close. But since you include full-body, the FA 43mm Limited is not to be overlooked.

03-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be honest. I've shot portraits with everything. To my mind the best portrait lenses are those that work in the environment you have. This discussion on crop portrait lenses may have some value despite the different angle of view and coverage - many of the lenses discussed are in fact full frame:

aps-c portrait primes: 43 Limited or DA*55? - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have the 50mm & 77mm. Iv been doing more research and the following seem to get great reviews : sigma 18-35mm Art & sigma 35mm Art; Pentax 24-70mm. Has anybody used or heard anything about these lenses? I’m always on the lookout for anything i can upgrade on lenses, just trying to get the sharpest images possible
03-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have the 50mm & 77mm. Iv been doing more research and the following seem to get great reviews : sigma 18-35mm Art & sigma 35mm Art; Pentax 24-70mm. Has anybody used or heard anything about these lenses? I’m always on the lookout for anything i can upgrade on lenses, just trying to get the sharpest images possible
The 18-35mm is a crop lens. The 35mm is quite a stellar lens, but if you want to use it for portraits, you'd probably want to use an APS-C camera (because of the otherwise wide FoV).

The 24-70mm is an excellent walkaround lens but not as sharp as a prime. That said, if you want an all-in-one lens for FF, it's hard to beat if image quality is your priority.

All of these lenses are reviewed on our homepage and in the user reviews. I suggest you take a look here:
Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Portrait lenses? 31, 43, 55, 77 and 85 all make stellar portrait lenses depending on your usage. My primary two are the 43 and 77, but I use to do a lot with 55 and 85.
My recommendation would be to look at some of the galleries and lens reviews here to see what others are achieving with each lens and how that fits in with your shooting style. You really can’t go wrong with any of these.
03-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
A lot depends on the "look" you want, whether it is important to blur the background to a ridiculous degree when longer (e.g., 135mm - 200mm) and faster lenses make sense, if you want to hand hold a light lens (can't beat the 77mm or a 50mm) or are using a tripod, if you are shooting just headshots (primes may be more convenient) or a little of everything outdoors (a zoom may be more convenient), etc. I have my own preferences (an 85mm indoors for just headshots) but it doesn't matter. Just get what you feel comfortable with and learn how to get the most out of the lens.
03-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
I like the 77 but i can’t get a full body shot unless i move back a ridiculous amount. So i usually switch to the 50mm for the full body shots. So i was just browsing around to see if i could find a wide angle lens that has sharp imagines that i could use for indoor shoots. I’ll check out the forum, see what i come across
03-05-2018, 06:26 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the 77 but i can’t get a full body shot unless i move back a ridiculous amount. So i usually switch to the 50mm for the full body shots. So i was just browsing around to see if i could find a wide angle lens that has sharp imagines that i could use for indoor shoots. I’ll check out the forum, see what i come across
The FA31 or Sigma 35mm Art are great for this.

K-1, FA31 Ltd:

03-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For full body indoors I would recommend the FA31. Some of the older manual focus 28 and 35 are very good also. I have the K 28 3.5 which really surprised me on the K-1 and became one of my favorite wide lenses.
03-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I had to sell my Sigma 35 Art to pay off my K1. Made the call that the FA 43mm would be more versatile on the K1. Even on the K3ii I found the 35mm too wide for most portrait shooting. Loved it for landscapes and still life though.

If Sigma ever does an 85mm Art then I will get it PLUS the DFA 85mm.
03-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would say the 3 fa limiteds and the old fa*85 are all great options. The 43 is a little weak wide open, but the new DFA*50/1.4 will give you ultimate performance at that focal length. We still need more samples to assess its rendering but i suspect it might be up your alley.
03-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I was wondering what you guys would say is the “best” or at least most impressive lens for portraits (full body / half) ?
Welcome to the forum. I have the 77, 43 and 31 trio. I use all of them depending on the situation. However, for pure portrait work, I would say the 77 is the most used. A friend of mine owns the Pentax-A 85 f1.4 lens and we had a chance to shoot the same subject both with the 77 and the 85. The color rendition and the overall image quality was almost identical. I was surprised to see such a close match as the two lenses were made years apart. That is a testament to the consistency and excellence of Pentax glass. You cannot go wrong with the either. Remember the the FA 77 is autofocus whereas the A85 is manual.