Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax cameras with 48,000 sample-rate audio in video mode?

I know the K-3, K-3II and K-1 use a 48,000 sample rate for their audio. (Instead of the 32,000 used by the K-01 and K-5)

Do any other Pentax offerings use the higher sample rate?

03-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want Higher bitrates from your camera audio, you are better off getting an external recorder from Tascam, Zoom or Roland. The audio recording features on DSLRs leave a lot to be desired when high bitrates and XLR inputs are needed.
03-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you want Higher bitrates from your camera audio, you are better off getting an external recorder from Tascam, Zoom or Roland. The audio recording features on DSLRs leave a lot to be desired when high bitrates and XLR inputs are needed.
Thanks for the reply.

I already have a Zoom H2 recorder that I use for audio, that works great. The Zoom records at sample rates of 44,100, 48,000 or 96,000.

The issue is with trying to sync that audio with video coming from a Pentax camera. If the Zoom is at 48,000 and the audio from the Pentax video is at 32,000, then the sync drifts over time in a video nonlinear editor.

As I said, I know the K-3 uses 48,000 audio sampling, but I'm trying to find out if any other Pentax cameras do as well.
03-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianStanding Quote
Thanks for the reply.

I already have a Zoom H2 recorder that I use for audio, that works great. The Zoom records at sample rates of 44,100, 48,000 or 96,000.

The issue is with trying to sync that audio with video coming from a Pentax camera. If the Zoom is at 48,000 and the audio from the Pentax video is at 32,000, then the sync drifts over time in a video nonlinear editor.

As I said, I know the K-3 uses 48,000 audio sampling, but I'm trying to find out if any other Pentax cameras do as well.
Are you sure that matching the sample rates would fix the drift? I'd think that the problem stems from having two different clocks each with their own idiosyncrasies and thermal drift rate.

03-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using a clapper board - or something similar might do the trick. When I was doing video shoots with RED cameras, we were using a digital slate to sync up audio with video. And if needed, the RED cameras and audio recorders had clocks that could sync up together with femtosecond precision*. Expecting that from a DSLR is a bit much.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'd think that the problem stems from having two different clocks each with their own idiosyncrasies and thermal drift rate.
This is pretty much it: if one clock is out of whack, it will skew the timing of the whole project.

* This was done through a BNC connection which is pretty standard in the high end video-audio realm. DSLRs even relatively video centric cameras lack this.
03-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
I've worked with unsynced (no timecode, no HDMI jam-sync) audio and video from two separate recorders in the past. Yes, it drifts out of sync, but much less so if all the audio is in the same sample rate. If they're all the same sample rate, you can find a sync point (clapboard, or some other visual/audio cue), sync them once, and not have to worry about it again for 30 minutes or more. If they're differing sample rates, even if you resample the audio, they drift out of sync within less than a minute. It's a nightmare.

No answers, though, to my question? I can't find anything in the specs for the K-S2, K-70, K-P to indicate the audio sample rate one way or another.