Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi David lots of great advice re camera.

Regarding tripod etc maybe the joby range is worth considering. Very versatile and light.

Flexible Portable Tripods | GorillaPod Tripods | JOBY.com

03-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't read all the posts, so I'm probably repeating a lot. But if repetition helps, here it is.

Your lenses will work perfectly on the KP or K-70: just as they do on the K10D. The improvement in high ISO performance compared to a decade ago will be an eye-opener.
On the K-1, the two newer zooms will only work properly in Crop Mode, so you won't get full benefit of those 36 megapixels. On the other hand, your old film era lenses will once again be able to exploit their full image circle - they will seem a lot wider than they did on the K10D.

In your situation - I would stick with a crop system. Smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-09-2018 at 06:19 PM.
03-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new options in 24mp are KP, K70. Used K3 or K3ii. 20mp used KS2 and KS1. 16mp K5, K5ii/K5iis, K30, K50, K01(not to be confused with K1). The K70 and KP and KS2 all have articulating screens. The k70 and KP have very impressive high iso low light capabilities. These three (k70, ks2, KP) all (I think) offer wireless tethering to make it easier to manipulate exposure settings etc if the position is awkward to reach.
03-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Pentax Forums and I hope your disability is something you can eventually recover from.

The K-70 is a wonderful value camera, offering improved low light and overall imaging capability. It is more compact than your K10D, but is very well built for its class of camera, including featuring weather sealing (WR) like your K10D, and has the swing-out LCD screen. I have a K-S2, which has a similar design. The lenses you have been using with your K10D will work fine with current Pentax APS-C models, but it appears none are of WR design. It is necessary to have a WR lens mounted on a body having WR to have an ensemble that is WR capable. A new lens of higher standard which also includes WR could provide this advantage as well as being capable of delivering the improved imaging capabilities of these latest camera models.

The KP is also compact, about the same weight as the K-70, but is closer to the pro-style on-body control set of your K10D, with less need to go into menus to make changes. Its pull-out LCD screen is not good for selfies, or for corner angles, but is still convenient and takes up less lateral room when employed. It is good for downward or upward-angled live-view shots. It has primarily metal body construction, an advanced SR system, as well as metering and AF systems. It also offers exceptional low-light higher ISO low noise performance. Like the K-70, its small, lightweight battery does not have capacity comparable to that of your 10D, so it is advisable to purchase a spare to carry along in case you run low on battery reserve. With the KP, however, there is an optional battery grip available which accepts either a second small battery or for yet greater battery backup, can take the same substantial battery used in your K10D. It features duplicate controls for vertical shooting. It is priced well for a camera body of this class of build and feature set.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-09-2018 at 08:17 PM.
03-09-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Cook Quote
I have tried table top and you are correct, actually getting near to anything from a wheelchair is difficult especially when having the camera on a tripod and the wheels won’t go between the tripod legs!!
G'Day David, I suggest you look at wheelchair mounts that can also mount on a table edge. No messing around with tripods.

Table mount example. (I have no idea about the brand/quality).
03-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you buy the K-70, if there’s money left in the budget add the DA16-85. Really a great lens. If money’s tight, I’d invest in a Sigma 17-70. Both are far ahead of the kit lens.

Last edited by Kozlok; 03-09-2018 at 08:49 PM.
03-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Hi David;

I googled "dslr photography clamp arm wheelchair" in images and came up with this:

dslr photography clamp arm wheelchair - Google Search

This might give you some ideas for starters.

03-10-2018, 01:54 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks again. I have been disabled for a year with a rare disease called POEMS. I’ll not go into detail on a camera forum but the internet frightens you to death. I have just finished my fourth cycle of chemotherapy and will shortly be getting stem cell treatment.
My obvious hope is that this works and I will get movement back in my legs. This will mean I regain some balance and will be able to stand. I hope that my photography will not limit me to indoor work and consequently want to make sure that the equipment I buy will be great for all sorts of environments.
I have just sent off for ZoMei z818c tripod which does have a monopod function Stevi. When this arrives and I get to use it I will report back
03-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sure we all wish you all the best with the treatment David.
03-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Best wishes with your treatment.

If you haven't done so already you might want to have a look at http://www.the-dps.co.uk/ - The Disabled Photographers' Society. I expect they will have some tips on the use of tripods and other means of support.
03-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #26

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I wish you well with your treatment and hope it gives you the relief you need.
03-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #27

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Hi David,

It me (Stevi) again. Someone else posted a link to this article on how to properly use a monopod. What is of interest to you and I (and anyone else who does photography sitting down) is the last option on how to use a monopod. It uses a pouch attached at the waist and you use the monopod at it's shortest length. The article can be found here: How To Use A Monopod & Multi-Purpose Tripod.

Stevi
03-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have this steady stick. Its great for mobility and holding the camera up for long periods. Breath control is needed. Its ok. Was great for shooting video down low.
Davis & Sanford Belt Mounted Steady Stick for Came SS3C
03-15-2018, 03:02 AM   #29

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses and links. The Zomei tripod has arrived. It looks great. I will try the monopod part of it. My problem at the moment is that I cannot stand at all,consequently my photography will need to be done seated either in the chair or from my scooter.
03-22-2018, 01:32 AM - 4 Likes   #30

Original Poster
Just a quick response to my original question. I wrestled with the question K-70 or KP following your advice. In the end I decided on and have purchased, although haven’t got it yet, a KP. My reasoning being that the prices here in the UK put the two cameras quite close. I have paid £687 for a brand new KP. Plus the KP is a newer camera in the range. The only thing the K-70 has which I would have liked is the fully articulating screen but I think I can live with the tilting screen on the KP.
Thanks all for your contributions.