Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
There are rumors that Canon is working on a Foveon type 3 layer sensor design.

Another possibility - why not a 3CCDs design? 3CCD works wonders for Video; it should give amazing results for cameras. 3xAPS-C is probably cheaper than 1xFF sensor. The mirror box and the bulk are the problems. Perhaps when mirror-boxless design arrives, then 3CCD could become a reality.
Now that is an idea. You are right, 3-CCD is used in video all the time, how much harder can it be to make it work in a still cam?

02-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yeah my 3CCD Panasonic camcorder is great for colour rendition! But the 3CCDs do need more light to operate, it is less sensitive to light than my Hi8 1CDD cam, this is well known in the camcorder world.
02-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Get real!

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah my 3CCD Panasonic camcorder is great for colour rendition! But the 3CCDs do need more light to operate, it is less sensitive to light than my Hi8 1CDD cam, this is well known in the camcorder world.
The average resolution of a digicam is much lower and the sensors are tiny - how would you even fit 3 X APS sensors in a current DLSR body let alone cope with the light loss through all the split prisms. Stills photography is about detail and resolution, not multiple frames per second. Aligning the optical elements in a 3 sensor video camera is extremely difficult as its is.

Most compact digicams use a single sensor solution.
02-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Now that is an idea. You are right, 3-CCD is used in video all the time, how much harder can it be to make it work in a still cam?
Wov. A lot harder I would say. And very much so.

02-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But the 3CCDs do need more light to operate, it is less sensitive to light than my Hi8 1CDD cam, this is well known in the camcorder world.
Actually, that's only because current 3CCDs consumer models all use tiny sensors. For the same size 1CCD vs 3CCDs, the 3CCDs has better low light performance - as it as 3x the light capturing area! Don't forget that all professional video camera use 3CCDs design.

Not sure if you can remember the Sony TR-900 - one of the very first consumer lower cost 3CCD camcorder. It used to be the low light king, as it performed much better than any 1CCD camcorder at that time.