Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If squeezing small pixels makes noise...

If squeezing more, smaller pixels (or the things that make the pixels, you know what I mean) onto a sensor makes noise on the image, why don't they just enlarge the sensor so more of the same size pixel-making-things can fit on? Therefore not increasing the noise levels? I can't see this as a problem, except for the DA lenses that have been made. But all the old lenses are still okay to use up to a full frame sensor.

02-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
If squeezing more, smaller pixels (or the things that make the pixels, you know what I mean) onto a sensor makes noise on the image, why don't they just enlarge the sensor so more of the same size pixel-making-things can fit on? Therefore not increasing the noise levels? I can't see this as a problem, except for the DA lenses that have been made. But all the old lenses are still okay to use up to a full frame sensor.
price..thats the biggest issue with that.

the only bodies w/ FF's are well over 2 grand (the EOS 1D costs as much as a car)

so...until the tech gets cheaper..we're going to have to live with it

and even those are not perfect
02-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey did you see the APS-H (1.3X) sensor from canon. The press release was marketing the same idea of bigger piexls on a bigger sensor. See Canon makes their own sensors while everyone here and at Nikon buys them from Sony.
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wonder if anyone will try putting 2 or 4 small sensors together to act as one big one like they are are doing with processors (dual core, quad core, etc)
I would imagine it would be less expensive to make 2 or 4 separate sensors then one huge one.

for example 4 small sensors, each with 3 mg pixels per sensor, all acting as 12 mp.... could even make them (together) the same size as a full frame sensor the size of the canon ones

just an idea..

cheers

randy

02-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I wonder if anyone will try putting 2 or 4 small sensors together to act as one big one like they are are doing with processors (dual core, quad core, etc)
I would imagine it would be less expensive to make 2 or 4 separate sensors then one huge one.

for example 4 small sensors, each with 3 mg pixels per sensor, all acting as 12 mp.... could even make them (together) the same size as a full frame sensor the size of the canon ones

just an idea..

cheers

randy
sigma sort of does that, SORT OF
(sigma sd14)
02-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There would be a line down the middle!!

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote

just an idea..

cheers

randy
The active area of the sensor is not the whole surface...some surrounding circuitry is required for image processing and readout - so there would be a gap.
However, FF sensors ARE made from 2 smaller sensors, in a way. The largest mask is current use for production chips (of any type) are around APSC size - hence they can be made using a one-pass process in a standard foundry (which makes memory, processors etc) and are relatively cheap.
To make a FF sensor you need to use a 2-pass process - one for the left half and one for the right half. The alignment has to be perfect for the resulting chip to be defect free hence such processes are expensive and the yield is much lower. As a result, the chips themselves are about 10X the cost. Interestingly, the MF chip is about 2X FF size, so this is probably a 4 pass process.
The fact that existing foundries can be used makes production of CCDs and CMOS sensors cost effective. To build dedicated foundries would be very expensive given the number of devices produced (you need millions to break even).
02-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If the photo site size is kept and the pixel count is increased, the overall sensor area will be larger, much larger than the current APS-C 1.5X 135 FF crop, then it would become a FF DSLR, which Pentax is not capable to make one by themselves, without any available suitable FF sensor. Do note only Canon makes their own DSLR sensors so far, Fuji also has theirs but they don't really make the DSLR bodies.

02-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

Am I the only one who feels 6mp is fantastic and 10mp is amazing?

There were big gains to be had by increasing resolution back in the sub 1mp days. These days, however, we have tons of resolution with fantastic noise qualities. I could care less about resolution advances.
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote

There were big gains to be had by increasing resolution back in the sub 1mp days. These days, however, we have tons of resolution with fantastic noise qualities. I could care less about resolution advances.

I do...i still have my sub 1mp camera.
02-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote

Yes but if they could make the 10mp with way less noise you'd like that wouldn't you? What I'm saying is, if people want more pixels, just put more on a bigger sensor. I'm sure the cost argument won't hold up for ever if the past is anything to go by.
02-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The size of the sensor is not the issue

Yes but if they could make the 10mp with way less noise you'd like that wouldn't you? What I'm saying is, if people want more pixels, just put more on a bigger sensor. I'm sure the cost argument won't hold up for ever if the past is anything to go by.
Its the size of the photosites. The photosites only occupy a small % of the surface area (even less with CMOS). As a result, microlenses are needed to increase the light gathering power, but their small size also limits their capacity.

Improvements in sensor design can reduce the size of the other components (read out channels, aplifiers etc) and increase the sensitivity and well depth of the sensor. There is already more difference between makes of sensor than between sizes of sensor, so there is hope yet. Fuji have proved you can get improved DR and noise on an APS sensor with decent resolution just by improving the basic design.
02-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

what always goes thru my mind is the thought that if they can do what they do with the average very small relativity speaking decent compact camera sensor they should be able to do better than we get with the average size dslr sensor..

i cant help but feel dslr technology is a few steps behind point and shoot technology..

owning a panasonic F20.. i do not see the gain i think i should be seeing in image quality from the average dslr.. a gain yes but not as great as it could or should be perhaps..

trog
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I totally agree

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
what always goes thru my mind is the thought that if they can do what they do with the average very small relativity speaking decent compact camera sensor they should be able to do better than we get with the average size dslr sensor..

i cant help but feel dslr technology is a few steps behind point and shoot technology..

owning a panasonic F20.. i do not see the gain i think i should be seeing in image quality from the average dslr.. a gain yes but not as great as it could or should be perhaps..

trog
Sensor design needs some imagination and people need to look carefully at the compact market to see that greater pixel density does NOT always equal more noise, in fact in general terms most current cameras have LESS noise than prior generations despite much higher pixel densities.
As you say, the SLR market with only 2 major suppliers is lagging somewhat. Now if Fuji would supply Nikon with their sensors....
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
As you say, the SLR market with only 2 major suppliers is lagging somewhat. Now if Fuji would supply Nikon with their sensors....
Fujifilm makes a phenomenal sensor and I'm surprised that they still aren't as big in the market. Other players would be Foveon(?) and Kodak.
02-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There are rumors that Canon is working on a Foveon type 3 layer sensor design.

Another possibility - why not a 3CCDs design? 3CCD works wonders for Video; it should give amazing results for cameras. 3xAPS-C is probably cheaper than 1xFF sensor. The mirror box and the bulk are the problems. Perhaps when mirror-boxless design arrives, then 3CCD could become a reality.