Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DOF preview problem

I've tried to use the SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm lens on my K200D, but sadly the optical preview doesn't work. I can hear that mechanism itself moves, but aperture stays in place. Interestingly, when I shot, aperture moves, but even more interestingly I don't see effects in a picture! No matter what aperture is set, a picture always looks the same (same DOF and histogram). As if aperture moved after a picture had been taken (or much before). Does anyone of you came across similar problem?
It is worth noting that lens works on my Pentax LX.

Kind Regards,

Pusiek

09-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you in "M" mode? I don't have my camera with me to confirm my memory, but I recollect that DOF preview for m-series lenses only works if you are in "M" mode.

Steve
09-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pusiek Quote
I've tried to use the SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm lens on my K200D, but sadly the optical preview doesn't work. I can hear that mechanism itself moves, but aperture stays in place. Interestingly, when I shot, aperture moves, but even more interestingly I don't see effects in a picture! No matter what aperture is set, a picture always looks the same (same DOF and histogram). As if aperture moved after a picture had been taken (or much before). Does anyone of you came across similar problem?
My K10D had an issue with the aperture mechanism. I sent in in for repair after confirming the aperture mechanism didn't work by setting the aperture to 22 in Manual mode, and noting the aperture blades did not move when viewed through viewfinder and using optical preview. There should have been a very noticeable difference in the amount of light, but the amount of light in the viewfinder remained the same. I also noted the aperture blades from the front of the lens in bulb mode and f22, also didn't move when activating the shutter.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-03-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: grammer
09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The aperture on manual lenses always stays wide open on Pentax DSLR's - whether doing DOF preview or actually taking a picture - unless you are in M mode. M mode is the only one in which the aperture ever closes down with manual lenses - and then, only when doing DOF preview, hitting the green button to force a meter reading and set shutter speed, or when actually taking the picture.

09-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you.

I didn't notice, that I need to be in M mode for this type of lens. It works fine now.

Kind Regards,

Pusiek