Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

Doesn't seem like my Pentax 15-30 is sharp enough

I don't think my Pentax 15-30 is working right. Tree limbs don't seems to be sharp enough and corners are still soft at F8. I took this picture handheld. Here is the link to download it. Is there a easy way to test it?
I can provide more test pics

Dropbox - IMGP0873.DNG

03-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Looks pretty sharp to me... But if you don't like it, I'll trade you for my Samyang 14mm...
03-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget that you need to apply some sharpening to a DNG as none is done in camera. Does it look sharp when you shoot a jpeg?
03-11-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe take the same image again with the same camera settings, but use a tripod with SR turned off and compare the shots.

03-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have pulled the exposure back about 1.5EV or so. The color shift from the blown out white area in the sky, to the turquoise, then blue, indicates over exposure. Pulling back the exposure a bit, sharpening and then opening up the shadows slightly, would likely give you the image quality you're looking for. I agree with others, the lens looks pretty sharp to me.
03-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

Same thinking here about my Pentax DFA 24-70, not sharp, it doesn't quite match the K-1's sensor and that's the main reason, in addition to not having front thread for filters, why I stopped my order of the Pentax DFA 15-30. I'm so disappointed about my Pentax lens performance: poor sharpness and poor contrast. My Nikon Coolpix A with only 16 Mp delivers much more sharpness/definition and contrast. But hey, once I started using the Zeiss Distagons, wowww, it's a world apart.
03-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
Cool thanks guys for the help.
03-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the focus is half way to the bins (trash cans). The trees seem out of focus rather than anything else. I find that AF-S centre point works well with my 15-30, but suspect using the outer points is less predictable; looking at the exif data you were using Auto-33 focus points. In my experience the 15-30 is impressively sharp from f2.8 for such a wide zoom, but it still can struggle with situations like this - shot towards bright sun.. Hope that helps.

03-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottyb70 Quote
I don't think my Pentax 15-30 is working right. Tree limbs don't seems to be sharp enough and corners are still soft at F8. I took this picture handheld. Here is the link to download it. Is there a easy way to test it?

Dropbox - IMGP0873.DNG
I imported your DNG to lightroom and there is something definitely off. Aside from just poor general focus there is also chromatic aberration on the gutter guard on the house on the right side of the image (and the evergreens to the right as well). I panned all over the image and couldn't find a sharp spot anywhere. I searched the web for images shot with the 15-30 in similar scenarios and couldn't find any that looked as bad as yours. I know I would not be happy with the result you got, and perhaps it's as phoebus said that a wide angle will struggle shooting into the sun , but if I had the option of returning it for a different copy I know that is what I would do.
03-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'd say for whatever reason, the focus on that was pretty near, and at F8, you're not getting a lot of depth of field. Mine is mostly used on a tripod, and at F11 and above if I'm shooting in the day. And it is very sharp.
03-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is focussed well forward. The weatherboard is sharp to the corners. The background trees are simply out of focus.

I don't think there is much wrong with your lens.

More test shots please. On tripod. Focussed carefully at a variety of distances with a variety of scenes.
03-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't know that lens personally so can't directly compare. But trees look out of focus, and it is somewhat overexposed in the sky. The stuff that is in focus looks ok. However, chromatic aberrations on edges and tree branches seem pretty heavy for a modern lens, but again, slightly OOF so hard to say what it should look like. I'd like to see f8 focus set at infinity.
03-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottyb70 Quote

Dropbox - IMGP0873.DNG
it looks like your focus is on the left window. There is no focus to the objects at infinity.
03-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't look bad as a straight DNG. I think your lens is fine. As suggested by others, I'd add a tripod into the mix. Also, you should be using back button focusing, that makes a difference. And try using this the hyperfocal distance method. You'll be surprised and just how sharp your lens really is. I've found that most of the time, if my lens isn't producing images as sharp as I'd like, it's almost always an operator error issue. Adding a tripod, back button focus and using hyperfocal distance, reduces the amount of operator error significantly.

Excellent video showing how to use hyperfocal distance
03-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think focus point is somewhere before the tree. Corners are sharp for a DNG file. RAW output does not come out razor sharp. I suggest doing more study before judging the lens.