Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3 in-camera infra-red effect?

With my old Pentax K-7 there was a setting that provided a in-camera infra-red (with the camera set to B/W) effect but I can't seem to find that function/setting in the Pentax k-3.

Does the K-3 have that, and if so, where is it located?

Thank you!

Theo

03-12-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a digital filter effect on the K-5, I also enjoyed the results. Hope a K-3 user has your answer!
03-12-2018, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is- go to the B&W custom image preset as before, press info, and under filter effects (the first slider), select infrared, which should be the last one.

These screenshots show where you should be looking (obviously the settings are different for color shots):

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam!! That's great. Fantastic forum. Within 10 minutes I had an answer. Maybe your answer should be a sticky as there are quite a few posts on here about doing infra-red photography. While this is not technically infra-red, the image looks exactly the same and it is a much easier solution than using filters and converting the camera to infra-red.

Last edited by Theov39; 03-12-2018 at 07:56 PM.
03-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

But this is only fake and has nothing to do with infrared photography.
03-12-2018, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
But this is only fake and has nothing to do with infrared photography.
True. It is only a SIMULATION but for the person who just wants to get that infra-red look just occasionally it might be helpful, without having to invest in filters or conversions.
03-13-2018, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
the image looks exactly the same and it is a much easier solution than using filters and converting the camera to infra-red.
I got my hands on a converted k10d & must say it looks quite different than the in-camera simulation.
Not saying that the in camera simulation can't look good though as far as b&w is concerned..
03-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I got my hands on a converted k10d & must say it looks quite different than the in-camera simulation.
Not saying that the in camera simulation can't look good though as far as b&w is concerned..
Yes, it doesn't look exactly the same as it is only simulating the effect but I had some nice results with my K-7. The ideal of course is a converted camera but that is quite an expensive option.

03-13-2018, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Obviously it is hampered by the fact that the actual infra-red light information is missing in its entirety, that's a given. However, you can achieve a much better look in PP - On1 for example has a pretty good looking IR preset that gives an image that looks very similar to (an) IR image, even if not (the) IR image you would have got using an IR camera. You also have control over the various colour responses, contrast, grain, etc that you don't have in-camera, plus the output is RAW so you can further process.

For some the process is the goal, but for those that like the look but non the faff, it's a good option.