Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Replacing my K-x

Not sure where this should be posted so feel free to move it if it does not belong here ...

I will be looking to upgrade my Pentax K-x ( my wife will be getting it Ha ha ) what camera would you suggest I purchase, I love my K-x and have learnt much but feel it is time to make the next step.

Last edited by Wise Owl; 03-14-2018 at 08:02 AM.
03-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax DSLR Discussion
03-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wise Owl Quote
I will be looking to upgrade my Pentax K-x
My son is using my k-x now

You do not give much to base suggestions on. Budget? Type of photography? Lenses? What is most important to you with a new camera? New or Used?

The k-x is far lighter than most newer cameras and used AA batteries, the two primary reasons I bought it. Nothing new does that.

I suspect the obvious answer would be a KP but with additional info that recommendation might change.
03-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Second hand, the K-S1 and K-S2 are really spiritual descendants of the K-x (I've had both).

If the small size doesn't worry you, a second hand K-3 is really going to give you the next step, camera-wise.

If you want to buy new, the K-70 would be great.

03-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will be looking to upgrade my Pentax K-x ( my wife will be getting it Ha ha ) what camera would you suggest I purchase, I love my K-x and have learnt much but fell it is time to make the next step.
I think you can't go wrong with the K-70. A student in my class "lost" her DSLR and in trying to decide what to replace it with, she got to handle over a dozen different Canon and Nikon DSLRs of her classmates and one Pentax K70. She loved the K-70 and got that.

The K-P is more polarizing in terms of photographers loving or hating the ergonomics, so without handling one, I think that's a bit of a risk for you. The K3II is being replaced, probably this year, so if you wanted to get the latest flagship, you'd have to wait....and although the prices may drop for remaining K3II, it is 2015 technology.
03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, get a KP. That's what I would get now.
03-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd say that a brand spanking new $595 K-70 is leaps & bounds better in features, performance, & image quality over the K-x without it costing so much. A KP or a K-3II might be overkill for you at the moment you'd ne out at least $829 for the K-3II body or $897 for a KP.

03-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have not had much experience with my KP in the week that I have owned it but what I have experienced, I love. I have large hands so use the large grip and will be getting my battery grip tomorrow, barring weather delays, (Quite likely.) You can't go wrong with a K-70 or a KP but if the budget won't allow, get a used K-50 or K-3 so you can use the new DA 55-300 PLM lens that requires a newer camera and electronics.
03-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started with the k-x and took tons of great pics with it. Then I moved on to the K-20D and took tons of great pics with it. Then I moved on to the K-30 and.............. I just received my K-70 a few days ago and am still getting used to it, but it goes well beyond the first two in pic quality and is considerably advanced over the K-30 in features.
03-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not sure where this should be posted so feel free to move it if it does not belong here ...

I will be looking to upgrade my Pentax K-x ( my wife will be getting it Ha ha ) what camera would you suggest I purchase, I love my K-x and have learnt much but fell it is time to make the next step.
The K-70 would probably feel like the most natural upgrade. Think of it as a modern K-x with much better image quality, customization, and features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

...I will be looking to upgrade my Pentax K-x...
Any current Pentax will be a significant upgrade, but some models might be better for you than others. What do you find most limiting about the Kx? What types of photography do you do?

Do you need the "scene" modes in your Kx? The only current Pentax model with that is the K70. That feature goes away on the more advanced models.

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
03-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Any current Pentax will be a significant upgrade, but some models might be better for you than others. What do you find most limiting about the Kx? What types of photography do you do?

Do you need the "scene" modes in your Kx? The only current Pentax model with that is the K70. That feature goes away on the more advanced models.

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
I agree with DeadJohn- hard to give specific advice without knowing more as to what you are looking for. As to ergonomics, the K-x does not have a huge grip that you've been used to, that is for sure. The KP would be an easy adjustment. In terms of your desire to move upward, it would be a huge step in many ways, that is also for sure.