Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

What is the purpose of TAv Mode on Pentax DSLRS?

What is the purpose of TAv Mode on Pentax DSLRs? I have a Pentax K-3 but assume that other bodies have this mode too.

As adjusting one of the parameters affects the other how is this any different from using either Tv or Av Mode? '

In what situations might TAV mode be useful compared to either Tv or Av Mode?

Thank you!

03-16-2018, 05:15 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TAv is awesome. You set shutter and aperture both manually, ISO floats on auto. It’s like program mode but with more control, or you can think about it like manual mode with auto-ISO.

You use TAv when you want a specific aperture for DOF and a specific shutter speed to control motion blur of the subject.
03-16-2018, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
What is the purpose of TAv Mode on Pentax DSLRs? I have a Pentax K-3 but assume that other bodies have this mode too.

As adjusting one of the parameters affects the other how is this any different from using either Tv or Av Mode? '

In what situations might TAV mode be useful compared to either Tv or Av Mode?

Thank you!
TAv mode will float the ISO so you can set aperture and shutter speed and the camera will set the ISO based on how it meters the scene. I use it for sports photography most often but also for events and shows where the light will be variable and I need a sufficiently fast shutter speed with enough depth of field. I set the shutter and aperture and the camera will do the rest.

When using TAv mode I recommend you work out how high you want to set the ISO this way it doesn't go too high without letting you know that there's an inbalance in the exposure triangle. This lets you reset the aperture and/or shutter speed thus retaining more control on the exposure than a fully auto mode.

Tas
03-16-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not bothering to do a search right now on the site, I will say that the Tav (kinda unique to Pentax as I recall), is discussed on this site somewhere. It's kinda brilliant too. For me, I find it particularly helpful when shooting with flash, that's not the only thing but it's the first thing that comes to mind. The easiest way to understand it - and all the shooting modes - is to shoot with them a bit. It's like Sv mode, you could as the same question but for me Sv is what I go to at night when what I want to control is ISO. For Tav, allows me to adjust shutter or f-stop depending on the situation, it's just faster than switching from Tv to Av or back. YMMV

03-16-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

TAv is great! It's like the M mode with auto ISO in other companies cameras. In Pentaxland the M(anual) mode is what it is supposed to be, everything manually controlied. So the TAv mode is a separate one where you can choose the SS and your Aperture and the camera automatically controls the ISO for correct exposure of the scene based on the metering mode you have chosen and the EV compensation you have dialled in.
03-16-2018, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much all for the responses! That is very helpful and I will try it. I come from a Nikon background and don't recall any of my Nikon cameras having that mode. Like a number of things it seems to be unique to Pentax.
03-16-2018, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

What is the purpose of TAv Mode on Pentax DSLRS?
I think its a carry-over from a lot of Film shooters past & present using TAv because of the control over shutter & aperture for depth of field etc. while ISO is auto. With everyone having a different limit on ISO. This setting is the next level above manual and I use it all the time and set a limit of 3200 on ISO. In the Olden Golden days I kept 4 K1000's + 1 ME Super for auto ISO (ASA) in the trunk of my car and every shooter had to set Shutter & Aperture for each picture before DSLR's

Last edited by honey bo bo; 03-16-2018 at 06:52 AM.
03-16-2018, 06:39 AM - 8 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The purpose is to make Pentax better than a Canikon.
03-16-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

TAv is great for photographing action in changing light. Set the shutter to freeze motion or to artistically creat blur. Set the aperture for desired depth of field. The camera controls ISO for a proper exposure.

TAv also works very well for street photography.
03-16-2018, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sports. TAv is what allows me to somewhat effectively shoot my kids' soccer games with a K-3II and an old variable aperture 55-300 screwdrive lens. I have a user preset based off TAv, with a 1/1250th shutter speed to freeze action, a f/7.1 aperture for depth of field and to give me some slop on focus, and the camera just figures out ISO.

When I tried to do this all manual it was a mess. On a camera without a dedicated scroll wheel for ISO, good luck.
03-16-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I use it for sports photography most often but also for events and shows where the light will be variable and I need a sufficiently fast shutter speed with enough depth of field. I set the shutter and aperture and the camera will do the rest.
Same for me. I also find TAv very useful for handheld macro or closeup of living critters, when you want a relatively small aperture while still keeping a fast enough SS.

---------- Post added 03-16-18 at 10:32 AM ----------

Thank you very much all for the responses! That is very helpful and I will try it. I come from a Nikon background and don't recall any of my Nikon cameras having that mode. Like a number of things it seems to be unique to Pentax.
AFIK, you can achieve the same on Nikon by using M mode and setting ISO on auto. But it's not ergonomically as fast and easy as to simply switch the mode dial.
03-16-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use TAv exclusively for my wildlife shots. Absolutely love it!
03-16-2018, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

This is the mode that I am in most often. Shutter and Aperture both have creative and practical considerations, ISO is just a matter of quality vs sensitivity. I'd like to control the first two and let the 3rd help me find proper exposure within pre-set constraints.

Last edited by troika; 03-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.
03-16-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Not bothering to do a search right now on the site, I will say that the Tav (kinda unique to Pentax as I recall)
Ricoh GR / GR II have that feature. Too lazy to check if previous incarnations of the GR line did also.
03-16-2018, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s a great feature and works extremely well on the K-1 (and probably the Kp) with it’s superior ISO capabilities. I went to a rodeo last week and it was perfect for the varying light in the arena.
And boriscleto, you made me spit my coffee - heh!