Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 10:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reluctant to purchase K1 but I did

I have been complaining about the K20 back focus and SDM issues. Was very reluctant about buying the K1 after reading about focusing issues. Gotta say, I am very happy with the K1. Combined with my FA 600 F4 I am getting tack sharp images of water fowl, eagles and every bird I can capture. I am using ISO 800 at F8 and am truly impressed with the lack of noise. The camera is locking on to birds coming head on, over head, moving away and flying parallel. I am reaping more keepers than I have in the past. I am using the 9 grouping focus points which I have discovered is moveable in the view finder. Two complaints—-FPS and Buffer. Fix this and this camera will truly ROCK!

03-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

So good to hear, I just got my K-1 and i'm loving it! Don't shoot much action so quick auto-focus isn't a must, but nice to know it's reliable for wildlife shots. Cheers on your K-1!
03-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought it had a higher frame rate if you set it to APS crop? Out of my price range, so not speaking from experience...
03-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulation to your new purchase, Berserker!

Looking forward to seeing your shots with FA*600. In case you don't know this lens club, you should look into: The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com

03-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
I have been complaining about the K20 back focus and SDM issues. Was very reluctant about buying the K1 after reading about focusing issues. Gotta say, I am very happy with the K1. Combined with my FA 600 F4 I am getting tack sharp images of water fowl, eagles and every bird I can capture. I am using ISO 800 at F8 and am truly impressed with the lack of noise. The camera is locking on to birds coming head on, over head, moving away and flying parallel. I am reaping more keepers than I have in the past. I am using the 9 grouping focus points which I have discovered is moveable in the view finder. Two complaints—-FPS and Buffer. Fix this and this camera will truly ROCK!
You went 10 years into the future from K20d to K-1.. I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with the AF improvements.

Last edited by mee; 03-17-2018 at 06:25 PM.
03-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

After all these years using cameras, I realized that keeping ISO low enough to get good color tones has much more effect on image outputs than sensor generation and even sensor size. That is why having the 600 f4 lens outweigh on image results vs camera brand.
03-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DGRx Quote
So good to hear, I just got my K-1 and i'm loving it! Don't shoot much action so quick auto-focus isn't a must, but nice to know it's reliable for wildlife shots. Cheers on your K-1!
Congrats on your K1 purchase!
Have you been with Pentax long?
What are you using the K1 for?
I shoot family photos and my kids and was struck by the detail that is captured.
Threads in the clothing, details in the eyes, etc.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I thought it had a higher frame rate if you set it to APS crop? Out of my price range, so not speaking from experience...
Yes you are right, I’ll have to consult the manual. I remember seeing something about that.
Thank you for the reminder, I’ll give it a try.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Congratulation to your new purchase, Berserker!

Looking forward to seeing your shots with FA*600. In case you don't know this lens club, you should look into: The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com
Did not know about this club, Thank you!
I have a shot posted in my album.
It’s a white swan moving some Canadian geese along.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 08:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You went 10 years into the future from K20d to K-1.. I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with the AF improvements.
The only way I was able to do it was with gift cards I would ask for on my birthdays, Christmas and Father’s Day.
Gift cards for Henry’s, a camera store chain in Ontario.
Finally took the plunge with $250.00 out of pocket.
And yes, I am very happy with the newer technology.

---------- Post added 03-18-18 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
After all these years using cameras, I realized that keeping ISO low enough to get good color tones has much more effect on image outputs than sensor generation and even sensor size. That is why having the 600 f4 lens outweigh on image results vs camera brand.
I never had an issue with Pentax glass, even my f4 A series zooms gave me tack sharp images (and still do) back in the film days. Ektar 25 was my choice for a while.
03-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I never had an issue with Pentax glass, even my f4 A series zooms gave me tack sharp images (and still do) back in the film days.
That's kinda what I wrote.

03-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Congrats on your K1 purchase!
Have you been with Pentax long?
What are you using the K1 for?
I shoot family photos and my kids and was struck by the detail that is captured.
Threads in the clothing, details in the eyes, etc.
I started with K-50 about 4 years ago, a total amateur. 12,000 clicks later, I've learned a lot about photography(still consider myself an amateur, "freelance" is the word), and also about Pentax and it's competition. I mainly like to take landscape photos(backpacking), but have shot portraits, a wedding, and of course family outings and functions. Love the usability and form factor. It was so easy to learn, and I can now pick up my K-50 and use without thinking about it. Getting close with the K-1 a couple weeks in. From what I've seen of other brands, especially Sony, the menus are very convoluted and take a while to learn. Pentax gives me in-camera stabilization, full weather sealing, and full pentaprism viewfinder for less. Great glass, more class then current but a great value. After I found myself wanting more detail, decided to take the plunge on full-frame, and no regrets whatsoever! I don't expect or have the desire to do it commercially, but beautiful tool for the art of photography.

Cheers!
03-21-2018, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have been complaining about the K20 back focus and SDM issues. !
Congrat on your new purchase firstly.
I beg to differ on your view about back focus and SDM issue. As shown below, I was really far far away with my DA200 & K20 and I had to do enormous cropping indeed. I was given only 3 seconds to respond and the focus of the BIF was spot on.

BIF With DA200mm - quite a bit of cropping - PentaxForums.com
03-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Two complaints—-FPS and Buffer. Fix this and this camera will truly ROCK!
The solution for that is a K-3.
03-21-2018, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The solution for that is a K-3.
I almost went for the K3II over the K1.
8fps, that must rock.
Do you own a K3?
Still thinking about it.

---------- Post added 03-21-18 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DGRx Quote
I started with K-50 about 4 years ago, a total amateur. 12,000 clicks later, I've learned a lot about photography(still consider myself an amateur, "freelance" is the word), and also about Pentax and it's competition. I mainly like to take landscape photos(backpacking), but have shot portraits, a wedding, and of course family outings and functions. Love the usability and form factor. It was so easy to learn, and I can now pick up my K-50 and use without thinking about it. Getting close with the K-1 a couple weeks in. From what I've seen of other brands, especially Sony, the menus are very convoluted and take a while to learn. Pentax gives me in-camera stabilization, full weather sealing, and full pentaprism viewfinder for less. Great glass, more class then current but a great value. After I found myself wanting more detail, decided to take the plunge on full-frame, and no regrets whatsoever! I don't expect or have the desire to do it commercially, but beautiful tool for the art of photography.

Cheers!
Weddings, that is a brave leap.
Good for you, I would freak out trying to capture a very important day for someone!
03-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I almost went for the K3II over the K1.
8fps, that must rock.
Do you own a K3?
Still thinking about it.

I have both.... the K-1 is really frustrating for wildlife birds etc that I shoot a lot of. The key for wildlife is filling the buffer and being able to take advantage of small changes in expression and pose.

I like having the K-1 along, and I have had times when I was so close the K-1 was OK for reach, but you always end up missing the burst and buffer and after 10 or 15 minutes I go back to the K-3.

And really, I'm never going to make a wall sized wildlife image.

A K-3 Gray Jay

A K-1 Gray Jay

Most of the time I just use go the easy route and use the K-3.

And most of the time I have to use the exif information to be able to tell which picture is taken with which camera afterwards. It's the landscape where the K-1 really shines.