Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Why would that make a difference. Your telling the camera to AF with either button, and so it will.

Dave
OK but the reason I have de-coupled the AF from the shutter button is because I DONT want the shutter button to be the focus button too.

09-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
there are times when having the AF assigned to another button is better (for me). like when i need to use continuous-AF but if you try to recompose, the focus changes. so for times like those i use another button for AF and disable the AF in half-press.

what i do now is use half-press for AF and then assign the AF-button (k20d) to "disable AF" so once i am locked on the focus point i want, whether continuous AF or not, i have the option to leave the focus as is. it's really useful for suddenly wanting to MF, i know that SDM can override AF but you can do so AFTER the AF locks, so that's still a moment, while just holding the AF button at the back will just disable AF and go straight into MF mode much faster than having to turn the AF switch in front!
Damn that is cool.
09-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The difference is once you set the focus for an object, you can keep shooting without worrying about that some insignificant change in the scene or your camera position will cause the camera to try to re-focus on something else.
Ok, that makes sense. Being told to push another button, with out the whys and werefores, did not compute.

Dave
09-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
OK but the reason I have de-coupled the AF from the shutter button is because I DONT want the shutter button to be the focus button too.
Fair enough. I see the point now.

That method would work in some of what i do, not so much in the equine end. I use the shutter button to AF as i machine gun the half press in AF-S, as apossed to using AF-C.

I'll try it next week at my daughters engagement party and see how it goes.

Dave

09-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends...

... on the lens I've paired with the K20D.

If is a manual focus lens, I activate the shutter button's half-press option to allow the 'red dot' focus confirmation signal. I manually focus, half press the shutter, check for red-dot confirmation and fine tune if needed, then pop the shot.

For lenses with AF, I disengage the shutter button focus option and use the dedicated rear AF button alone for the reasons mentioned by other posters in this thread.

Custom Menu, item 14, plus switching between MF & AF-S, are probably the most frequently utilized adjustments in my pre-outing work flow.
09-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #36

I tried decoupling the AF button but didn't like it. I hate having to fiddle around for another button on the back of the camera, when I take a shot.

Each to their own though I suppose.

My AF button on the rear is programmed to return the focus point to the centre.
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Marc Sabatella;334314]Yes, that's what they are talking about. I actually have it the other way around - it focuses on shutter press *unless* I press OK to temporarily cancel it. I actually take quite a few pictures with my thumb on the OK button, and should really consider reversing this. Especially since I use MF so often; it's not like I'm *that* accustomed to having focus be "automatic".

Anyhow, basic principle is sound - if you're asking the camera to re-focus on every shot, you're asking for trouble. Focus for the first shot of sequence, then let it ride.

This is what I do as well. I had it set up, as others, with the back AF button doing the focusing. But, when ever my wife would use my K10D, she wouldn't remember to focus in that manner and all her shots were out of focus. So now I have it set it up as Marc has. If I need to take a series of shots and don't want the camera to refocus with each shutter release, then I just press the back AF button.

More importantly, I just like pressing buttons.
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
They will be Out Of Focus. So, what's the use of getting a OOF photo?
I think I hear your mother calling...

(American saying often voiced to troublemakers and bores...)

09-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I find i nail focus better when manually focussing ... my hit rate is better as well.
Manual focus rules as far as Pentax is concerned. There is no way the AF can manage this series. The first three were done within the same second. For the camera to respond with the full 3 fps, even metering had to be manual. This was from A300mmF4

Daniel
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful sequence Daniel! I envy those of you that are skilled at shooting with longer lenses aimed at moving wildlife.

My opinions pretty much echo your comments regarding the limitations of auto-focus. It may be because I do most of my shooting using manual focus lenses and had not used AF except on P/S cameras before my K10D, but my expectations of AF are pretty low.

Here are my general rules:

I use AF:
  • Snapshots
  • Subjects where focus is not complicated

I don't use AF:
  • Close-ups/macro
  • Moving subjects
  • Where timing is critical
  • Subjects where the focus point may be complicated.
  • Shallow DOF

As you might guess, I don't use AF very much. The back button technique intrigues me and I may give it a try.

Steve
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I read that some people use af-c. I wanted to warn you, in case you don't know, that focus assist light doesn't come one if you use af-c.
Thanks, that's really good to know. I wish I had read this a few days ago. I was wondering why it wouldn't work sometimes. Now I can use AF.C to disable the popup sizzle flash when working with a wireless flash too.