Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I'm missing something here; what is the disadvantage of leaving AF on half-pressed shutter button? Seems it can do most anything AF button can do, so for me it's more convenient than "fumbling" for the AF button
there are times when having the AF assigned to another button is better (for me). like when i need to use continuous-AF but if you try to recompose, the focus changes. so for times like those i use another button for AF and disable the AF in half-press.

what i do now is use half-press for AF and then assign the AF-button (k20d) to "disable AF" so once i am locked on the focus point i want, whether continuous AF or not, i have the option to leave the focus as is. it's really useful for suddenly wanting to MF, i know that SDM can override AF but you can do so AFTER the AF locks, so that's still a moment, while just holding the AF button at the back will just disable AF and go straight into MF mode much faster than having to turn the AF switch in front!

09-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read that some people use af-c. I wanted to warn you, in case you don't know, that focus assist light doesn't come one if you use af-c.

I was shooting an opening party for a restaurant, not hired/just for fun, and I couldn't get my camera to focus as it was too dark. I was using a shoe flash with af assist light, but the light wasn't going home. I thought the af assist light was dead, but only after going home and messing with the camera I saw that aff assist light doesn't work in af-c.
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

yup it doesn't come on in AF-C! i can confirm that too
09-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find i nail focus better when manually focussing ... my hit rate is better as well.

09-05-2008, 06:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm missing something here; what is the disadvantage of leaving AF on half-pressed shutter button? Seems it can do most anything AF button can do, so for me it's more convenient than "fumbling" for the AF button
If you are shooting on a tripod and you've already composed your shot, not having the AF tied to the shutter button (and by extension, the remote), you can fire away with no delay. Useful when you are shooting things like water drops that are always in the same spot and very short time span.

And I don't fumble for the OK button since it sits right under my thumb when I need it.
09-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You can take the pictures but they will be OOF!

They will be Out Of Focus. So, what's the use of getting a OOF photo?

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Have you tried 'back button focus'?

That is all I use, and I always nail like 90% of my shots....

may the thread continue!
09-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Have you tried 'back button focus'?

That is all I use, and I always nail like 90% of my shots....

may the thread continue!
Why would that make a difference. Your telling the camera to AF with either button, and so it will.

Dave

09-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I find i nail focus better when manually focussing ... my hit rate is better as well.
Other than using Manual focus lenses why should I have to manual focus (other than shooting through branches etc) with a 21st century autofocus lens attached to a state of the art camera?

d
09-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Other than using Manual focus lenses why should I have to manual focus (other than shooting through branches etc) with a 21st century autofocus lens attached to a state of the art camera?
Because the "state of the art" doesn't include mind-reading. If I point the camera at a group of objects, how on earth does the camera know which one I want to focus on? The "focus points" are too broad, and there aren't enough of them, to guarantee you can tell the camera exactly where to place focus.
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Why would that make a difference. Your telling the camera to AF with either button, and so it will.
The difference is once you set the focus for an object, you can keep shooting without worrying about that some insignificant change in the scene or your camera position will cause the camera to try to re-focus on something else.
09-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

As someone who has just tied AF to the OK button on my K100Ds I will say that it actually does make things faster. I am able to compose once on an object in the foreground/background and take multiple shots without worrying about the AF module thinking I need to focus everytime I push the shutter button. Now I will have to reset this for my wife but for the way I shoot I can't understand why I didn't have this setup before today.
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
For those who are using the rear AF button, make sure you still half press the shutter button. The SR doesn't seem to work fully unless the shutter button is half pressed for about a second before the exposure (you will see the hand icon when it is ready). Does anyone know if there's a way to enable SR with the AF button?

I'm not sure what is going on with the second delay before SR is fully active, but it sounds like SR is partially active if you take a picture before the hand is active, and fully active if you wait for the hand icon. Maybe the shift sensors require time to initialize but the rotation sensor doesn't? Anyone know about this stuff?
I suggested here long ago that SR should be able to be turned on permanently if required. This is then good for sports shooting where you can't half-press the whole the time. I had an email from a Pentax rep that read it saying she thought it was good idea and would put the idea forward. Haven't heard anything further.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Cool technique. What happens when you give it to someone to take a picture of you? I'd bet they're totally confused...same people that want the image to show up on the back LCD
Exactly that happens. It's a good deterrent to them using your camera!

For sports shooting the rear AF button is wonderful. As you're continually moving the camera following the action you can't always keep the lens pointed where you want to focus (centre spot only of course so I can choose the subject to be in focus). So being able to choose the focus timing separate from the shooting button is great. I agree for day to day use, depending upon the individual, it may be of no benefit.
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Cool technique. What happens when you give it to someone to take a picture of you? I'd bet they're totally confused...same people that want the image to show up on the back LCD

Ha! Yeah you are right. I have USER set to 'kid mode'. It is some kind of high iso on Tv at a decent shutter speed and the af linked to the shutter button.
09-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
the only catch i'm finding is that i have to stretch more to reach the OK button with the D-BG3 vertical grip.

otherwise, it's how i've been using my cameras for a while...
dude you are totally right. that is the reason i dont have grips. i hear they are well balanced with the 50-135 though....so i might get a couple anyway
09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not saying it is leaving you at a disadvantage to shoot like that. My problem is that when I want to click the shot, I want to click NOW. I dont want to wait for the AF even a millisecond.

Also, I dont like to have one button doing two tasks at the same time.

I dont fumble when I shoot.