Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #16
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This looks fairly obvious to me. I‘d take the KP for the long shots and the K1 for wider shots.
With the K1ii you could crop longer shots but wouldn‘t have the resolution of the KP. IIRC they have roughly the same iso performance.

Also with the KP you‘d have a smaller and lighter walkaround kit if you want to go for a walk or hike.

03-19-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What about purchasing a K-70 and upgrading your K1 to a K1 II. Then as sbh said K-70 for long and K-1 II For wide. This would cost $200 more than just purchasing the KP and you get the K-1 II also.
03-19-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Is there anybody over there there does a 'try before you buy' service like Wex UK? They offer a 2 day rental at their normal rental price, but if you decide to buy the item(s) they will send you them (brand new) and discount the cost of the rental. If not, you pay the normal rental cost and move on. . . .
if I understand your question correctly

Lensrental.com in the US may offer to sell you the rental equipment and discount the price based on what you paid for the rental

" Just rent an eligible item, and then we’ll give you a starting purchase price based on the age of the copy we send you. We’ll even give you a credit for a portion of the rental fees. . . .

What equipment is eligible?

Almost all of our equipment is eligible. If it is impossible for us to get a quick replacement for a particular piece of gear, either because it is backordered or because our suppliers are slow to get us new copies, it may not be offered for sale. If you see a piece of equipment not offered for sale, just send us an email. In many cases, we just haven’t gotten around to updating the product to be eligible for sale.

If a product is eligible, it will have a badge underneath the rent button on its page."

https://www.lensrentals.com/keeper

they are very friendly and will respond to email or you could call them if you have questions.
03-19-2018, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I saw how much Lensrental wanted to rent the 150-450 for a week, I hesitated - the KP wasn't that bad but the lens kind-of crossed over the line for how much I was willing to pay to try it out, especially since I was thinking that the KP made more sense, regardless of whether I could actually manage to use the lens.

So instead I called Samy's Camera since I more or less live in Southern California. It turned out they had a KP in stock at the Pasadena store, priced $2.00 more than B&H. I figured the gas I would spend getting there and back was less than the rental on the camera, so off I went.

The small grip was fine with a small lens, but uncomfortable for me with the DA300 and 1.7AFA. I tried the largest grip and found that to be a little too big/edgy (I now know why it was described that way) for my small hands. Now the middle grip seemed just about perfect with the combination. I also figured out that the controls really were very similar to the K1, and since I don't use the top LCD any more - not since I accidentally bought the K-S1 when it first came out - I had no problems with the controls. Yes, the front wheel and shutter release are in different places, but they aren't that different, and at least there's 2 wheels, which is what kept causing me problems trying to go back and forth between the K-S1 and the K1.

I'm a firm believer of supporting local camera stores as long as it makes some sense. Yes, I could have bought from one of the New York stores (I've done that often enough when something either wasn't available locally or significantly cheaper online) and saved myself the sales tax, but my tax accountant told me that California has added a block on your state income tax form where you have to verify you paid state sales tax on any on-line purchases.

So the KP's battery is charging and I'm about to dig out all the batteries I have for the K-S1, order the 1.4 TC and go outside with my new camera.

I want to thank all of you who gave me such great ideas and got me thinking in new directions. If I decide I really want to geotag my photos this summer (something I've become very accustomed to with the K1), I can always use the O-GPS.

03-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

only you can decide what is best for you and where to buy it

sounds like you are all set

have fun
03-19-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using KP with 20-40ltd. K1 with 24-70. Very good travel zoom choices both. One heavy, other not so.
Had both of them on the 150-450. The combination of K1 and the 150-450 is more "balanced" in feel but the KP is more decisive when it comes to focus performance.
I would take all of the above on a trip like the one you are planning.
03-19-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alaska is a BIG place

Have come late to this thread, but I wouldn't try to tell anybody as experienced as MTNGAL what to buy. I will however give a perspective on Alaska from 45 years experience. On the Alaska Highway you usually won't see any critters except near the road - they blend into the brush too well. You are likely to see critters & birds near the road; sometimes, like bison in BC, on the road. You may be able to see some sheep or goats up on a mountain side, especially at the visitor center at the east end of Kluane Lake in Yukon. So you will seldom need any more lens reach than to keep from being eaten or stomped. Most of that trip is wide angle country. The majority of the big animals are out very early or at dusk. There are a couple of overlooks west of Kluane where you can get jays to feed from your hand. Whitehorse is a good place to take a break from driving and check out the town (e.g., the old paddle wheel river boat) or restock the larder. If you have the time and inclination, a diversion to Skagway either coming or going (campground reservations are recommended) for the Klondike gold rush history and spectacular geology along the road.
I can't comment on the more recent situation along the highway from Tok to Fairbanks as we lived in Anchorage area and turned south at Tok. In any case, you better get the current edition of the "Milepost" guidebook. The drive from Tok to Anchorage is very scenic but there are stretches of white knuckle driving (for trailer folk) from Sheep Mountain to Palmer. The road is good; the drivers aren't. (In poor road situations, get behind a parade of big RV's, staying back to allow cars to pass easily.)
In our 45 years in Alaska, we traveled a lot but still didn't see it all - ain't possible. I've used a lot of cameras while there from a 4x5 view camera to film & digital pocket jobs, but always with a Pentax nearby. Most of my pix seem to be wide angle to medium telephoto.
I don't know what you are planning on for your trip, but if you want I can maybe provide some info. PM me.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@mtngal Congratulations! Good call on KP and the 1.4x. You will be happy! The middle grip is the one I use also. The KP is just a tiny bit crampted for my Size 10 hands, but it is supposed to be a small camera. I can always use K-1 instead if it bothers me

I have a business / pleasure trip scheduled for August to The Broadmoor in Colorado (Pike’s Peak and all that). I’ve about settled on leaving K-1 and heavy lenses at home and taking the KP, DA 20~40 and DA15. The outlier is the 28~105. I could take the kit w/o the 28~105 in my carryon and forget taking a camera bag altogether. I’ll prob end up taking the camera bag to hold the charger and spare batteries, which means I might as well carry the 28~105.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-19-2018 at 06:24 PM.
03-19-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been outside a bit playing with the KP and DA300, both with and without the 1.7. I had forgotten how much of a challenge it is to hand-hold such a long lens combination and my arms got tired pretty quickly. But my fears about adjusting to the controls on a new camera are groundless - it isn't all that much different than the K1, other than the ergonomics. Things are in very similar locations for the most part. It makes me glad you all suggested the KP and 1.4 as a possible solution, I don't think I'd want to shoot anything heavier without a tripod - that's just me being a small, older, female with elbow and shoulder issues. Focusing with the KP and AFA/DA300 was accurate, within the AFA's range, better than the combo on my particular K1.

Maybe next year I'll upgrade to the K1ii, but I'm in no hurry.

Digging out my spare batteries for the K-S1 got me to look at just how much fun photography stuff I have lying around, that I haven't used in a long time. This will give me an excuse to brush off several DA lenses I haven't used in a while, too.

Funny how I can get attached to some cameras but not others. I looked at my cute, white K-S1 and just can't quite toss it out, even though it can't set the aperture on a lens (other than in M mode and using the lens's aperture ring). I couldn't wait to get rid of (sell) a working K7, but don't want to toss a non-working K-S1. Sigh.
03-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
Have come late to this thread, but I wouldn't try to tell anybody as experienced as MTNGAL what to buy. . . .

you make a good point but in our defense:

the OP did request input and suggestions

" I'm in a quandary, I can't make up my mind what camera equipment I should or shouldn't get. . . .

So I'm looking for input, things that others have discovered that I haven't thought about, different opinions, what you would do in my situation. Are there other features I should take into consideration (I just don't think in video so have never used it on either the K-S1 or the K1). . . .

Please help me make up my mind!"

love your photos
03-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was not intending to criticize anyone for offering an opinion. I just stated my position re: giving firm acquisition advice to experts. It is admirable how much practical information is transferred on this web site with pushing one item over another. Not so true on other sites. In this case, I too advised the lady to forego big cannons for Alaska. I have more often been probably closer than is prudent. Witness the brownie sow & cub. The moose was about 15 feet away. But I was quicker in those days. The other 2 shots were 50mm and 70 mm. Besides, it is hard to get both Denali & Foraker framed with a super tele. I have used Pentax since 1964 and never tempted to change. And thanks for the compliment.
03-20-2018, 01:02 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
I was not intending to criticize anyone for offering an opinion. I just stated my position re: giving firm acquisition advice to experts. It is admirable how much practical information is transferred on this web site with pushing one item over another. Not so true on other sites. In this case, I too advised the lady to forego big cannons for Alaska. I have more often been probably closer than is prudent. Witness the brownie sow & cub. The moose was about 15 feet away. But I was quicker in those days. The other 2 shots were 50mm and 70 mm. Besides, it is hard to get both Denali & Foraker framed with a super tele. I have used Pentax since 1964 and never tempted to change. And thanks for the compliment.
on my part, I wasn't really offended by your post

I enjoyed both the photos and your contribution to the thread

lots of good advice and knowledge from one who obviously knows what is what from personal experience

I meant no offense in my response and I hope it was received in that manner

if not, " c'est la vie "

I have fond memories of my 1 trip to Alaska on a Holland America cruise via the Inland Passage, especially the encounter with the Humpbacks bubble feeding and the mother and calf leaping near Auk Bay while we were in the small tourist boat 30 people or so ( well, it was smaller than the cruise ship )

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 03:37 AM.
03-20-2018, 03:03 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck with your new gear!

I would strongly consider fixing the KS-1 as a backup. I used Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair and they did an excellent job -- my daughter has been using the KS-1 without problem since the repair and I've been pretty pleased (soldering and things like that are beyond my skill set). Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the images you generate from your gear and trip.
03-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I hear that moose shot was quite dangerous... Aren't more people injured by moose than bear in Alaska? 15 feet is pretty close!

For the OP, are you taking a bean bag or something like it that you could use on the car for support of that long lens? It might give your elbow some relief.
03-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if I understand your question correctly

Lensrental.com in the US may offer to sell you the rental equipment and discount the price based on what you paid for the rental

" Just rent an eligible item, and then we’ll give you a starting purchase price based on the age of the copy we send you. We’ll even give you a credit for a portion of the rental fees. . . .
Not quite. They both rent equipment and sell the same items new. Let's say you rent a K-1 for a weekend for £150, then decide you want to buy one (from them), they knock the £150 off the new item and send that out to you. If not, you just pay the rental and move on. Either way you send the rental item back to them.
However, you could quite legitimately just buy the item online, try it and return it for a full refund if you don't like it, so it's fairly redundant except for those that don't know their consumer rights. But it's nice for those that only ever intended to rent, but then fall in love with the item.