Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Not quite. They both rent equipment and sell the same items new. Let's say you rent a K-1 for a weekend for £150, then decide you want to buy one (from them), they knock the £150 off the new item and send that out to you. If not, you just pay the rental and move on. Either way you send the rental item back to them.
However, you could quite legitimately just buy the item online, try it and return it for a full refund if you don't like it, so it's fairly redundant except for those that don't know their consumer rights. But it's nice for those that only ever intended to rent, but then fall in love with the item.
I stand corrected

I have only rented from them, never bought so thanks for the help

---------- Post added 03-20-18 at 11:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . For the OP, are you taking a bean bag or something like it that you could use on the car for support of that long lens? It might give your elbow some relief.
if not a bean bag

a folded jacket or even a back pack or pillow can substitute

make sure the engine is off if your camera or support system is in contact with the vehicle

03-20-2018, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not offended any way no how. I use other 'techie' and travel sites. I am distressed at the number of users on these other sites who seem to relish 'flaming' rather than communicating. This web site very seldom sees that kind of behavior. And the users and moderartors respond quickly to protocol violations. Good on Ya'
As I no longer HAVE to get the shot (either due to my OCD or professionally), I do not carry a spare camera nor many lenses. Aslyfox is correct in that there are times to put away cameras and enjoy the moment. A major amusement while traveling is watching selfies shooters and those seeing the sites thru their 10" tablet.
I was on our deck for the moose. Even tho' a moose can & has killed, bears are a more serious problem. I was too close to momma bear - shot a quick burst and boogied.
03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my dad taught me while taking photos ( or just doing other things ) -

always keep your head on a swivel

IOW, look around

in the wild, there are safety reasons for that

on the street, there are safety reasons for that

but the best reason is that if you don't

you will miss a lot
03-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Good luck with your new gear!

I would strongly consider fixing the KS-1 as a backup. I used Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair and they did an excellent job -- my daughter has been using the KS-1 without problem since the repair and I've been pretty pleased (soldering and things like that are beyond my skill set). Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the images you generate from your gear and trip.
I contacted them a year ago, when I first realized the K-S1 had a problem. At the time I wasn't home long enough for them to fix it and send it back. And now that I have the KP? I'll think about it - maybe after the Alaskan trip I'll do something about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
From what I hear that moose shot was quite dangerous... Aren't more people injured by moose than bear in Alaska? 15 feet is pretty close!

For the OP, are you taking a bean bag or something like it that you could use on the car for support of that long lens? It might give your elbow some relief.
I should get some sort of bean bag, I don't have one and have occasionally wanted something like that.

I need to get organized, I just realized how much photo related stuff I have accumulated over time, and how disorganized it has all gotten. Amazing how that happens when you retire and buy an RV.

I've now ordered a new plate for the KP, I was concerned about the plate I have that worked on the K-S1, and the company where I got it from suggested a different one. If it doesn't work out, I'll return it and will use it as an excuse to visit Pismo Beach on my way home from San Luis Obispo, to save shipping charges. I've also ordered something for the camera strap/system I've been using (Op/Tech).

Believe it or not, photography is a cheaper hobby than RVing (and I'm strictly a hobbyist, and not a particularly experienced one at that, I've just been around here for a while and played a lot). Even when you change cameras and suddenly decide that what you had which worked with your previous one won't work with the new one.

Are there other things I should be thinking about for this trip?

03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
.. . I've also ordered something for the camera strap/system I've been using (Op/Tech).. . . Are there other things I should be thinking about for this trip?
I like my op/tech system

but because I didn't check it or have my safety system in place

my K 3 and DA * 300 hit the cement

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - PentaxForums.com

short end of story, only hood damaged, safety filter prevented any damage to front threads of the lens,

failure appears to be caused by a sharp point on the triangular attachment point, I have modified where I attach my sling and modified my safety back up so it is effective at all time

please check your attachments every time you use the camera

if you have a safety system back up ( I recommend one ) make sure it is automatic or that you do use it all the time.

do you think you might have need for a mini tripod which can be strapped to items?

have you seen this thread???

Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Year

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...#ixzz5AJQMeg1C

I went ahead and bought both the tripod and head

haven't tried it yet but looks very promising

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 10:46 AM.
03-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I like my op/tech system

but because I didn't check it or have my safety system in place

my K 3 and DA * 300 hit the cement

I have another boo boo, WARNING and seeking help - PentaxForums.com

short end of story, only hood damaged, safety filter prevented any damage to front threads of the lens,

failure appears to be caused by a sharp point on the triangular attachment point, I have modified where I attach my sling and modified my safety back up so it is effective at all time

please check your attachments every time you use the camera

if you have a safety system back up ( I recommend one ) make sure it is automatic or that you do use it all the time.

do you think you might have need for a mini tripod which can be strapped to items?

have you seen this thread???

Read more at: Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

I went ahead and bought both the tripod and head

haven't tried it yet but looks very promising
That's my worst nightmare about the OpTech's sling strap (which I have and use). I do look at the loops often, and haven't seen any wear on the loops (been using the system now for a long time - started off with a Reporter when I had a DS and K100 but I don't know if the loop connectors I'm using now are the same ones). When I first started to use the system, I had different length connectors because of the Reporter design, which didn't work for me). I originally put a longer one on the opposite side of the camera when I first got the sling strap, worked much like the Joby security strap. However, then if you switch things around, use different neck straps for some reason, you have to take off the loop connector from one side of the camera, and there were times when the longer strap was in the way. So I've been using just the single connector since I got the K1 and check the loop often.

What I ordered was a set of extenders (Op/Tech 1301052 Extensions) Extensions - System Connector - Lengthen Camera Straps | OP/TECH USA, so I could keep the short loops on both sides of the camera and still have a back-up on the opposite side when I use the single sling strap, without having to struggle changing the camera's connector all the time.

I have a double camera harness that I've almost never used, and it works a bit differently than the sling. I think I can use it with short connectors on both sides of the camera, giving me more redundancy, and the cameras will still ride properly on each side. I also ordered the gender changing attachment clips because I would either have to use them or put the loops on different sides of the camera, if I want to use any of the other straps instead of the double harness Gender Changers - Allows Utility Strap-Sling to be worn on the opposite shoulder | OP/TECH USA . I looked at them a year ago because I want the option to change which shoulder I use for the sling strap occasionally.

As far as a mini tripod, I have two - a Manfrotto table top (bought for an ultra zoom camera before dSLR days) and a Joby Gorilla Pod. The tiny Manfrotto ball head goes between the two. It's not designed for a full sized dSLR and will struggle, but it works well enough with a bit of careful balance.

It's probably a good thing I'm NOT going to San Luis Obispo today, I might have left with an expensive, much sturdier table top tripod and new tripod head!
03-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Op/tech was nice enough to send me free this item which can be used to make sure the uni loop connection has no contact with the metal attachment point

Adapt-Its - System Connectors for Swivel Connections | OP/TECH USA

it is shown working with a swivel connection but I see no reason why it won't work with the uni loop

I will still use my automatic back up safety system as well

_____________________]

one of the most interesting thing about

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...t-5-years.html

is what it is designed to hold

as shown by the OP in that thread's testing and photos

" Did you glance over the 176lb max load mentioned above ^ ?

This little tripod is seriously strong... I stepped on the tripod while bracing myself on the table top.
I weigh 195 lbs on a good day and really didn't want to push the little guy to it's limits.

If it can hold the majority of my weight, I'm sure it can handle a DSLR and any lens I would throw at it. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...#ixzz5AK5uSgux

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.
03-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
I was not intending to criticize anyone for offering an opinion. I just stated my position re: giving firm acquisition advice to experts. It is admirable how much practical information is transferred on this web site with pushing one item over another. Not so true on other sites. In this case, I too advised the lady to forego big cannons for Alaska. I have more often been probably closer than is prudent. Witness the brownie sow & cub. The moose was about 15 feet away. But I was quicker in those days. The other 2 shots were 50mm and 70 mm. Besides, it is hard to get both Denali & Foraker framed with a super tele. I have used Pentax since 1964 and never tempted to change. And thanks for the compliment.
My first thought was, “Gee, he’s awfully close to that moose.” I’ve been that close while portaging a canoe and I was VERY uncomfortable.

.:
03-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My first thought was, “Gee, he’s awfully close to that moose.” I’ve been that close while portaging a canoe and I was VERY uncomfortable.

.:
Most moose injuries and fatalities are from hitting it with your car and the moose is tall so comes though the windshield and crushes you. 6-10 people per year on average in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont,. Just don't get between momma and calf or anywhere near a male in Rut. Moose are not too smart but they scare easily in certain situations.
That was way too close to the Brown bear though, they run 35 mph so outrunning them is not very likely.
03-22-2018, 10:13 AM - 3 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The TC isn't here yet, but I don't think I'll have any problems with it. I put the 1.7AFA on with the DA300, on, went outside and tried to shoot it hand-held and was delighted to see the focus appears to be right on.

The weather is now rainy (we need it) so I took out the KP with the DFA 100 macro. I need to practice my hand-holding macro techniques, it's been a while since I did any of it, and I forgot how fun as well as frustrating it can be. But I was happy with this one.

I think I'm going to really enjoy this camera, it's ergonomics are excellent for me.

Thanks you all for your suggestion, and I'll update when I get the 1.4.
03-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I agree with renting a lens or two before you go just to see what you want. Last September I rented a couple of lenses from Camera Lens Rental (from IN if I remember correctly) for a 2-week trip through Utah. They had good prices and super service. I contacted them mid-trip to ask for an extension and it was not problem at all. Not driving a "Fit" to AK? Just kidding, remember from Steves Digital forum that you drove one. Enjoy your trip.
03-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the FA 300mm f/4.5 and it is great on my KP. With larger lenses, I hold and support by the lens itself with my left hand for the most part, so any grip would be ok for me, though the largest one is better just for general handling when not shooting. I also bought the battery grip, which balances better with a large lens, and supplies additional battery power, along with its vertical controls. With the KP you are driving a "convertible", since it can be both a petite body with petite lenses, and convert to a more robust configuration with the battery grip.

If you haven't done it, I suggest going into the Custom Image menus and implementing Fine Sharpening using your rear thumb dial, which will optimize for fine detail in your images. The KP's in-camera processing is excellent. The "info" button opens a quick-link page for various adjustments and the 4 buttons around the "ok" button then become navigator buttons. Then you use either "ok" or "info"again to access different sections or adjustment menus. Leaving the camera on "Bright" after doing this is best for overall use, I have found, as the KP does a very good job with metering, DR, etc.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-22-2018 at 05:54 PM.
03-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Not driving a "Fit" to AK? Just kidding, remember from Steves Digital forum that you drove one. Enjoy your trip.
Good Heavens! The Honda Fit was a couple of cars ago! I traded it in on a Toyota Prius when it told me that I would need to replace the catalytic converter, and the Prius I sold 2 years ago when I retired and was heading out on a 2 1/2 month trip with the trailer to Northern BC, Canadian Rockies, Montana, Black Hills of South Dakota and an unexpected side-trip to Moab. At the moment I'm down to one car - a Jeep Grand Cherokee but it will soon have a driveway stable-mate when I get the Ford F-150.

Maybe I should give "Bright" another try - I've usually preferred natural, shoot raw and then do adjustments in LR, DxO, some of the Topaz Lab's plugins etc. I shoot raw+ with the K1, and it was a good thing on one of my trips where the card reader I was using had some sort of problem and was corrupting the raw files when it wrote to a hard drive. I had already erased the card with the raw files on them but not the jpg files. I'm still not sure why it had such problems, unless it was the quality of the power that I had (though I do use an EMS to protect both the RV and my computer stuff and I think I had the problem at more than one location).