Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A "What Should I Do" Thread

I'm in a quandary, I can't make up my mind what camera equipment I should or shouldn't get.

My very much loved K-S1 has the aperture block problem (think that's what it's called) where it can no longer control the aperture in-camera. I've been toying with the idea of getting it repaired for the past 6 months, but have decided that for my current needs, it doesn't make sense because I'm going to want two weather sealed cameras.

I'm looking for a second camera and have been going back and forth between the idea of buying a KP or a K1 II. I know, completely different animals, and that's the problem - both have advantages and disadvantages.

My current need/reason for shopping is that I'm going to drive the Alaskan Highway this summer, and it's a bucket-list trip for me. I'd really like to have 2 cameras, so I'm not constantly changing lenses between something long and something wide. I'm driving a pickup and towing a travel trailer, so lots of storage space and enough cargo weight capacity.

I'm thinking that it makes a lot of sense for me to buy a DFA 150-150 lens - at the moment my DA300 and 1.7AFA seems to back focus and isn't as consistent as I would like with my current K1 camera, plus it requires a certain amount of manual focusing first, before the AFA can focus (nature of the AFA). While I'm in sticker shock when it comes to the 150-450 and the weight/ergonomics is a huge concern with me, I think I'd get much better results than I get with the 300/1.7b combination, so I'm pretty sure I'll get it.

So that leads me to replacing the K-S1 with a different second camera.

KP: Advantages: smaller, lighter, cheaper. The K1occasionally causes my elbow problems to flare up. I've read about the KP ergonomics and since I'm comfortable with the K-S1, don't think it will be a problem.

K1 II: Advantages: familiar controls. Last summer I gave up trying to shoot both the K1 and K100 at the same time, got too confusing. And I haven't used the K-S1 much since getting the K1 because of that.

I'd be tempted to keep the 150-450 on the KP because of the crop sensor, which would somewhat negate the weight/size advantage (I'm assuming that I wouldn't be able to use the 150-450 hand-held no matter which camera I get). And I don't know if I would get better quality than I would using it on the K1 and cropping.

I don't want to regret missing shots because I only have 1 camera and it has the wrong lens on it. I don't really want to put all that much money into a second camera that I may or may not use that much after this summer, but I also don't want to get frustrated by trying to use cameras with a big difference in controls and capabilities (i.e., last summer's experience with the K100 and the K1).

So I'm looking for input, things that others have discovered that I haven't thought about, different opinions, what you would do in my situation. Are there other features I should take into consideration (I just don't think in video so have never used it on either the K-S1 or the K1).

Please help me make up my mind!

03-18-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
may I suggest your own try out, but it will cost some $$

I have used lensrental.com to rent camera equipment to try it out before I decide on what to buy

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/lenses/mounts/pentax-k

there is also Borrowlenses.com I believe and there might be others

you could rent camera bodies and/or lenses

then if you decide on what you want and are willing to look at " experienced " equipment be sure to check out what might be available at the forum's market place

BTW, I have no connection with any rental business.

lots or posters including me have reported using the D FA 150-450mm hand held

take a look at these threads and perhaps you will find some examples

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-clu...ng-lenses.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...-pictures.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...ml#post4224245

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.
03-18-2018, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to use my KP for light action (grandchildren) and with the FA*300/4.5 for wildlife. For me, 300 x1.5 is enough. I tend to use K-1 (I’ve preordered a K-1ll) for landscape with manual wide lenses, 24-70 and portraits. I have also started experimenting with Astrotracer. Astro should be awesome in Alaska. The accelerator unit in the KP really makes a difference 1600/3200 ISO. Given you have a K-1, I’d get the KP and consider the DA1.4x TC for your DA*300 = 420mm.

The only muscle memory issue with KP is the back AF button placement. After a few minutes it feels normal. The K-1 is of course perfect.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-18-2018 at 07:10 PM.
03-18-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure if the OP would be interested in a K 3 II but B & H still is offering a K 3 II + battery grip for $7.00 more than it is selling the K 3 II body alone

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

I bought my K 3 II and battery grip from them with that deal in Nov of 2017 so it has been going on for a while

if you buy from B & H don't forget the deal available if you follow this link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-fre...opaz-labs.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2018 at 09:55 AM.
03-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used to shoot with two identical FF cameras with primes so I could effortlessly switch back and forth. As a pro, it was also easier in post-processing so that both cameras produced identical images.

However, in a non-pro situation where your income is not dependent on a backup camera, the KP makes more sense to me as a lighter, faster fps, crop sensor camera with a built-in flash. With the money saved, you could eventually upgrade your K1 to the K1 II.

However, in your original post, you do mention both the K100 and KS1 as less used due to difference in ergonomics from your K1, and certainly the KP without a top LCD window and a different front index finger wheel will take getting used to.

So, the conservative answer is to get the K1 II unless you just wonʻt take with you a second body because of the weight. The KP makes the most sense if you really need a lighter option that is replacing the dying KS1 and old K100.

Pentax KP vs Pentax K-1 Detailed Comparison

Make a pros and cons list like the link above, but with your personal priorities. Highlight the top three considerations (or more than three, but make it an odd number) and see where the chips fall. Let it sit for a few days and then look at your list again.
03-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I tend to use my KP for light action (grandchildren) and with the FA*300/4.5 for wildlife. For me, 300 x1.5 is enough. I tend to use K-1 (I’ve preordered a K-1ll) for landscape with manual wide lenses, 24-70 and portraits. I have also started experimenting with Astrotracer. Astro should be awesome in Alaska. The accelerator unit in the KP really makes a difference 1600/3200 ISO. Given you have a K-1, I’d get the KP and consider the DA1.4x TC for your DA*300 = 420mm.

The only muscle memory issue with KP is the back AF button placement. After a few minutes it feels normal. The K-1 is of course perfect.

more threads for the OP or anyone else to consider

The Pentax HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter 1.4X AW (and any lens) Club - PentaxForums.com

DA* Club - PentaxForums.com

includes some taken with the DA * 300mm
03-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great idea about renting the lens! I hadn't thought of that - a fabulous idea!

I'm not interested in the K3 II - the KP is attractive because of it's smaller size and lower weight. If I don't get the KP, then I'd get the K1 II.

The one time I tried to use a battery grip was with a K10 or K20, and my hands are so small, it's hard for me to operate the zoom or focus or other lens control, plus the extra weight really made things difficult for me (I'm not very big and have elbow issues).

Astro would be fun in the winter, but not so good in summer - too much sun!

03-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I support the idea of back up camera bodies

I have taken a back up camera on a couple of long vacations where a malfunctioning camera would be a big problem.

in 2016 we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary with our first trip to Africa - Tanzania I took a K 5 II and a Nikon Coolpix P610

Last May, it was a K 5 II with a DA 16-85mm for close in opportunities and the K 3 + D FA 150-450mm for opportunities a little bit further out for our first trip to Yellowstone and Gran Tetons National Parks.

I recently purchased " experienced " star lenses: D F A * 70-200mm F2.8 and DA * 300mm which adds to the mix of possibilities and sold the K 5 II when I picked up my K 3 II

if you have plenty of storage space and can carry two camera bodies plus multiple lenses, I think it is a great idea.

it is quicker to switch complete set ups than lenses that is for sure, at least for me.

I will agree with monochrome that the DA * 300mm is a great lens, with or without the DA 1.4 rear converter
03-18-2018, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about the da 1.4x and a k3ii or KP. The problems you have with the AFA 1.7x go away then... And since you don't have to buy a DFA 150-450 you have money for other stuff. Granted the zoom is more flexible.
03-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Am I ever glad I asked the question - I hadn't thought of the DA 1.4 because I was thinking in terms of the K1. But going with the KP and the 1.4 to add to the DA300 would give me reach, I know that I can hand-hold the combination consistently with cameras other than my particular K1 (have done it in the past with the AFA). And yes, getting a KP with the 1.4 would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a 150-450 with some camera.

The lack of a top LCD isn't a big deal for me - I was surprised how quickly I adjusted when I bought the K-S1. The problem I had with going back to the K-S1 once I got used to the K1 was going back to a single front wheel, I had to think to remember which button I needed to push to change which attribute. It was far worse going back to the K100, which I haven't used in a long time (kept it to use a Hoya R72 filter on it), far more differences and limitations, lack of the info menu and so on.

I don't mind skipping the zoom part of the 150-450, I'm assuming I'll be using a long lens for wildlife mostly so going prime with the DA300 and a TC is fine and what I'm actually used to. As far as landscape and tourist type of photography (what I've been doing most recently) - the K1 and the DFA 28-105 has been a good combination for me. I rarely use any of my other zooms, and sold both the DA 16-50 and 50-135 because I was using the K1 mostly and hated letting such lenses just sit in my cupboard. I still use various prime lenses when I'm on my own and have time.

Keep bringing up things I haven't thought about and factors I haven't thought about.
03-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only concern with the KP is placement of AF button; I am prone to hit the green button instead.
(I'm getting better, but I still hit the wrong one from time to time.)
So give yourself time to practice before your trip!
03-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you already have the K-1, the KP might be nice as a lighter alternative when needed. The interface is a little bit different because of button placement, but otherwise you should feel right at home.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2018, 02:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the 150-450 combination with either body is going to be a problem because of the weight, could you use a monopod with the combination? Just a thought.
03-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there anybody over there there does a 'try before you buy' service like Wex UK? They offer a 2 day rental at their normal rental price, but if you decide to buy the item(s) they will send you them (brand new) and discount the cost of the rental. If not, you pay the normal rental cost and move on.

It's a bit redundant here as there is also the EU Distance Selling Directive. If you purchase online/mail order you have a minimum of 14 days to return for any reason (including personal taste) for a full refund. Idea being, you can't 'try it out' for size/fit/feel online, so you are at a disadvantage buying online vs the standard experience in-store. Maybe there are retailers with similar offering over there?
03-19-2018, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Great idea about renting the lens! I hadn't thought of that - a fabulous idea! . . .

Be warned, renting might lead to additional expenses:

you might like them

I rented the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW and the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

I did

[ fortunately I was lucky enough to find an " experienced " " like new " D FA 150 -450mm at a good price and the 1.4 on sale ]